Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Default I want your opinion on handguns

I just upgraded my licence to restricted after having nonrestricted for the last 10 years. Wife has given me a budget on my first hand gun $600. Anything more will result in Early alimony and child support payments. What’s your take on guns in this price range. Cost of rounds, reliable, craftsmanship, aesthetics and experiences.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x6x6 View Post
I just upgraded my licence to restricted after having nonrestricted for the last 10 years. Wife has given me a budget on my first hand gun $600. Anything more will result in Early alimony and child support payments. What’s your take on guns in this price range. Cost of rounds, reliable, craftsmanship, aesthetics and experiences.
Get a 22lr first. Ammo is dirt cheap.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM

I picked up a FN FNS-9 long slide for $599. Very happy with it. I don't reload so pay about $15 per 50 American eagle (9mm). Came with 3 mags. 2 sizes of backstraps. Gun has been flawless.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM

If .22lr is too small for your tastes then your next best bet is 9mm in terms of ammo cost and availability. You could buy used to get a little bit more gun for your money as well. A popular one with good price points are the Smith & Wesson M&P, they seem to have a good fan base and modest price if you shop around or wait on sales. Glocks are pretty close and both have lots of custom parts to cater to them as well. Lots of people like to tweak the guns so when you find models that have lots of aftermarket parts available you know it a popular model. If you're looking for new only, the shops around Calgary tend to have aggressive sales when the Easter gun show is on at the BMO Centre at the Stampede grounds. Its a very well attended show so it brings in both local buyers as well as people making the trip into town for the event.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I agree with this post, if you are new to hand guns start with a 22lr. There are lots of affordable option in both the new and used market. The big advantage is the ammo price. You can shoot all day for 20.00 to 30.00 dollars. It allows you to hone your skills and become proficient with it. Compared to the bigger calibers where you are spending 15.00 to 20.00 dollars or more for 50 rounds. That is what an hour worth of range time.
Plus what you save you can use towards the purchase of your next handgun, as I would almost guarantee it will happen.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I would qualify that by saying get a good quality 22 LR first. You can find decent used target pistols at your price range. Learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting that way, first, without developing bad habits. You can shoot for hours for the same cost of shooting big bores for a half hour. Get a reactive target too (I have a ground hog that absorbs lots of LR from my kids!)....adds to the fun. If you decide to go that route, shoot me a PM, I can hook you up with an unfired S&W 422 Target gun that is pure sweetness. TC

Edit: here is what a nice older quality target S&W 422 looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170223_173944.jpg (46.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170223_174108.jpg (59.9 KB, 140 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Yet another vote for the 22lr. Both for cost and developing good habits. Once you’ve put a few thousand rounds through it, you will know if you love it and want to get into target/practical/3 gun competitions. If you just want to plink at the range, there’s really no point (IMHO) to shooting a bigger, more expensive centerfire cartridge. Nothing says you can’t, to each their own, but it’ll get expensive. if you do move up, seriously consider reloading.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I would qualify that by saying get a good quality 22 LR first. You can find decent used target pistols at your price range. Learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting that way, first, without developing bad habits. You can shoot for hours for the same cost of shooting big bores for a half hour. Get a reactive target too (I have a ground hog that absorbs lots of LR from my kids!)....adds to the fun. If you decide to go that route, shoot me a PM, I can hook you up with an unfired S&W 422 Target gun that is pure sweetness. TC

Hey Twisted Canuck, I like your taste. I love shooting this little gem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180311_212507_resized.jpg (47.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20180311_212529_resized_1.jpg (44.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Why do you tempt these newbies with fine specimens? You will just develop another addict........

I vote for a .22 as well to start with. Sig has a .22 version of their 226. The M&P also has one.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdandkl View Post
Hey Twisted Canuck, I like your taste. I love shooting this little gem.
They are fine little pistols for sure. I have a 422 shooter, came across this NIB and couldn't pass it up...and there it sits. Somebody should be using it...that 622 of yours is a beauty. I lean towards blue and walnut, but have my share of ss too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Why do you tempt these newbies with fine specimens? You will just develop another addict........
I'm an enabler.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 PM

If you want a 9mm, I had an opportunity to by a slightly used S&W M&P9 for $450.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 PM

Phoenix gun range has the M&P 9 kit on for $585.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
What do you like? Lots of stuff out there. Semi-auto, single action revolvers, a few double actions. Rimfire or centerfire?

Rugers used to be pretty reasonable, but price has gone up a fair bit. Still can find nice used Blackhawks for under $600. Uberti, or Beretta make some nice single action 1873 style guns for about that, new.

For a rimfire, a Browning Buckmark would be at, or near the top of my list.

Some of the Norinco, or Polytech Chinese guns are a really good buy.

If you want a centerfire, but don't reload, a .357 will fire .38 Spl. for cheaper. 9 mm is pretty cheap yet also. Everything else is a fair bit more, unless you reload.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Same as OP, I upgraded to RPAL and got my license in the mail last week.

You can get 2 for $800 from Lever Arms.
A Sig 1911-22 (22LR) which is a GSG pistol made for SIG + a canik tp9 for $799.

Maybe you can convince the finance minister that this is an awesome deal? She could even call the .22 HER OWN.....

Anyway, as others said: 22LR for low cost. 9MM is the only other "cheaper" option. Other calibers will start to dent your budget.

There is a few nice polymer pistols selling for $599...
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I'd buy a 22 and see if I really enjoy the handgun experience before soaking a lot of cash into other handguns, say the ruger mark IV.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM

OMG ... !!! ... I am still struggling with your statement that SHE gave you a budget of $600 ... as Russell Peters would say ... "Be A Man" ... there is a whole list of comedic lines that can run off from this ... but as you also stated it is cheaper than alimony and not seeing your kids as much ... when you negotiate next time show her pictures of the 3-6K stuff and then show her some pictures of the stuff you want that max'z out at say 2K for example ... that said, i like the 22lr advice, followed by say the 9mm and 38special etc... good luck, let us know where you land
Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Banned

I am quite happy with the SR22 I have recently purchased. Was right around $600 if I recall correctly.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Jeez. If my wife gave me an ultimatum like that .... go ahead , see ya ,unless a sugar momma I suppose .... man would that be nice , but back to the point.

I highly recommend a single action cowboy gun for first time handgun owner.

Safe , accurate , no brainer to strip and clean , no searching for brass , and when proficient enough - practise and learn quick drawing , gunfighter style. Lol. An old fella out of rocky will make you a custom holster for that if you need later. . Has the side benefit of making westerns much more enjoyable too for some reason.

Just shop around for used on here or gunnuts , ubertis are nice , 38 special/357 version has low to moderate power applications aka cowboy loads or serious zombie stopping power loads .... you will get bored quickly with a 22 or 9mm pistol .... those are for girls .....38s should be affordable , but not sure as I hand load just about everything , odd box of 357s ..... not sure

2nd option - get a 1911 , not sure price wise if made in America, if they go down to $600, but think there's norincos that are cheap , but again maybe you should buy nice so you don't buy twice / stash some cash and get past the limitation. Can always tell her you paid $550.

Anyhow. Let us know what ya get

Hehe. Getting another 1911 myself ..... custom this custom that for basically 1/2 the price , really excited. Caspian arms or some such competition type bullseye etc etc

Last edited by wolf308; 03-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Ya. 22 LR and 9mm are for girls. Getting that tattooed on my neck. 'berta.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=wolf308;3751527]Jeez. If my wife gave me an ultimatum like that .... go ahead , see ya ,unless a sugar momma I suppose .... man would that be nice , but back to the point.

I highly recommend a single action cowboy gun for first time handgun owner.

Safe , accurate , no brainer to strip and clean , no searching for brass , and when proficient enough - practise and learn quick drawing , gunfighter style. Lol. An old fella out of rocky will make you a custom holster for that if you need later. . Has the side benefit of making westerns much more enjoyable too for some reason.

Just shop around for used on here or gunnuts , ubertis are nice , 38 special/357 version has low to moderate power applications aka cowboy loads or serious zombie stopping power loads .... you will get bored quickly with a 22 or 9mm pistol .... those are for girls .....38s should be affordable , but not sure as I hand load just about everything , odd box of 357s ..... not sure

2nd option - get a 1911 , not sure price wise if made in America, if they go down to $600, but think there's norincos that are cheap , but again maybe you should buy nice so you don't buy twice / stash some cash and get past the limitation. Can always tell her you paid $550.

Anyhow. Let us know what ya get

Hehe. Getting another 1911 myself ..... custom this custom that for basically 1/2 the price , really excited. Caspian arms or some such competition type bullseye etc etc[/QUO]

I’d get a 9mm over the 38/357. I’ve had them all and the only ones I have now are my .45 and a 9mm. I do have accesss to a 22lr but that’s my fiancé’s. When I was in school for criminal justice we all started out learning the basics with a 22lr. Once we had them figured out and could shoot the star out of a piece of paper with 10 shots at 10 yards we moved up to 40s. To the op go with a decent quality 9mm. Your better off spending a bit more on a quality piece then buying something like a charter arms Saturday night special. If you can’t shoot a 9mm you won’t be able to shoot anything handgun wise. Plus with a 9mm there would be more of a market if you choose to sell it if it is not your thing.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 PM

True .....

I just like poking the 9mm club hehe. But you have a 45 so that makes you human.

The OP wants one gun cause of money cough cough restraints , soooo with the 357 he basically gets 3 options ..... weak as shi$ cowboy loads , full power 38s which are close to 9mm I believe and if he wants tourqe he can get full power 357 loadings( faster bullets bring faster smiles ) ..... just my advice ..... then load your own ..... saves money in the longrun.... but that's another thread ..

But ya 9mm is affordable ..... can prolly save up for a pink skirt and lipstick while shooting it ....... hahahahaha ..... wolf shoots he scores, puck is in fords corner , waiting for the play

Wait. Isn't there a 9mm short( for pink on pink skirts lol &#128514 ... like the James Bond calibre or something .... can you load those in a 9 ? Like a lot of handgun cartridges.

Last edited by wolf308; 03-14-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM

Not sure it sold or not, there was a Ruger Single Six here on the buy/sell. Shoot .22 till your arm droops, then shoot some more. Change out for the mag, crank a few. If you have somewhere other than the range to shoot, the 22 mag birdshot shells fun on gophers & pigeons. Have fun!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 PM

Well I just bought a CZ Shadow 2 in 9mm. I would imagine it could get a little drafty wearing a short pink skirt this time of year.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Not sure it sold or not, there was a Ruger Single Six here on the buy/sell. Shoot .22 till your arm droops, then shoot some more. Change out for the mag, crank a few. If you have somewhere other than the range to shoot, the 22 mag birdshot shells fun on gophers & pigeons. Have fun!

Cough cough. Yeah. I've seen some magpies and gophers near my handgun range as well. They didnt last long..... flew away , all different directions imagine that , gophers seemed to disapear as well

Don't think they had hearing protection in or something

Last edited by wolf308; 03-14-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 PM

Well I may get shamed here for doing this but for a first handgun I think I’m going to go with a norinco 1911 A1 in 9mm I know it’s not the best or even close to it but it’s a very affordable first handgun at $399 at Cabela’s. plus it comes with a matching pink camo skirt and halter top. I suppose when I become obsessed with handguns as well I can gift it to the wife and spend a little more.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:56 PM

Have a look at used stuff on CGN equipment exchange.

Might find something better for the money...

Or find a small shop that will write you 2 receipts and pay in cash... Then buy a CZ.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Well I may get shamed here for doing this but for a first handgun I think I’m going to go with a norinco 1911 A1 in 9mm I know it’s not the best or even close to it but it’s a very affordable first handgun at $399 at Cabela’s. plus it comes with a matching pink camo skirt and halter top. I suppose when I become obsessed with handguns as well I can gift it to the wife and spend a little more.
Look around before you buy. You may be able to get a deal with ammo at another vendor. Check out Tenda, SFRC, and Canada Ammo. They sometimes have deals with the Norinco 1911 + ammo. Where are you located? The Calgary gun show is in about 2 weeks this Friday. You should check it out before buying!
Old 03-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Right on.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Banned

I'm in the .22LR camp.
Got my RPAL about five years ago and started with a GSG 1911-22, both to learn good basics with and also to see if handguns were something I wanted to start putting money into.
Five years later and it's my only handgun. I like it a lot and shoot it on a regular basis. But what I found was that:
a) I live in a safe neighborhood and am not worried about anyone trying to break down my door.
b)can't use it anywhere other than the range...so handgun in essence are plinkers.
So...I can plink a lot cheaper with .22 and I've put the money I would have spent on a larger calibre on hunting rifles/ammo.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 AM

I have a 9mm 1911 Norinco (decent gun for $350) and a 357/38 Uberti El Patron. They are both lots of fun to shoot and with the small amount of plinking i do at the range id rather have something with a bit of power behind it, not a 22lr. I've shot my buddy's 22lr SIG before, its nice just boring.

End of the day comes down to ammo costs IMO. I might shoot 100 rounds of pistol ammo at a range day, and its totally worth the extra cost for something a little more fun. 9mm and 38s have very little kick with target ammo. Hot 357s are a little snappy but wont scare you, just the little men shooting 22lr beside you wondering what the hell is making all the noise.