Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 AM

Default Eskimo 6120I

Who else has one of these. They are awesome. Set up and take down is easy. Tons of windows. Zippers can be closed with one hand, snow skirt is large and peels off Ice easily. Stays warm easily. Tons of space. Do not hear the wind on the tent. Lots of reflective material on the outside I am going to start winter camping in mine as I just made an insulated floor for it.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Who else has one of these. They are awesome. Set up and take down is easy. Tons of windows. Zippers can be closed with one hand, snow skirt is large and peels off Ice easily. Stays warm easily. Tons of space. Do not hear the wind on the tent. Lots of reflective material on the outside I am going to start winter camping in mine as I just made an insulated floor for it.

I’m interested in the winter floor idea. Description or pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM

Yes the floor sounds interesting. Pics?

I use the interlocking gym matts but still looking for a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
I’m interested in the winter floor idea. Description or pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 AM

We use a 6120i and do overnights in it. Imo it is the best tent for overnight trips due to its layout, heat holding ability and ability to stand up to wind.

Imo you don't need a floor, just use cots and get 4 of those foam kid mats. One cot each side of tent and the 4 mats up the middle. Drill up to 2 holes on the opposite side of cot and you are set. Gives you an area to stand without boots on and keeps the ice/snow from melting in front of the heater. Cot with a camping pad and sleeping bag will keep you plenty warm even in -30 or colder, we use a sunflower heater in ours and never turn it up over low on one burner.

The only thing I don't like about the 6120i is the small doors. I am only 5'10 170 lbs and it can still be annoying to try and get in and out of, I imagine big guys would have trouble getting in and out.

The quickfish 5 insulated is a really nice looking tent too. Not the proper shape for doing an overnight with 2 people but a great shape for 2 or 3 people out fishing for a day, has bigger doors too, I would consider it over the 6120i if I wasn't planning on doing overnight trips.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 AM

We looked at it too and decided against it after both us us little guys thought the doors on it sucked. I cannot imagine big guys and that system. I could see a few headers happening going in and out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
We use a 6120i and do overnights in it. Imo it is the best tent for overnight trips due to its layout, heat holding ability and ability to stand up to wind.

Imo you don't need a floor, just use cots and get 4 of those foam kid mats. One cot each side of tent and the 4 mats up the middle. Drill up to 2 holes on the opposite side of cot and you are set. Gives you an area to stand without boots on and keeps the ice/snow from melting in front of the heater. Cot with a camping pad and sleeping bag will keep you plenty warm even in -30 or colder, we use a sunflower heater in ours and never turn it up over low on one burner.

The only thing I don't like about the 6120i is the small doors. I am only 5'10 170 lbs and it can still be annoying to try and get in and out of, I imagine big guys would have trouble getting in and out.

The quickfish 5 insulated is a really nice looking tent too. Not the proper shape for doing an overnight with 2 people but a great shape for 2 or 3 people out fishing for a day, has bigger doors too, I would consider it over the 6120i if I wasn't planning on doing overnight trips.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM

The design with the hubs will not allow for bigger doors. I guess you can't always have it all. I am once again unable to post pictures on this site but I used a 10 x 10 insulated tarp with a couple pieces of good one side 3/8" plywood to keep the chairs and cots from poking through and making it non slip. Building a 77" center post now for the middle hub incase snow build up overnight, and I will also mount my battery operated CO detector and a few coat hooks on it.