Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Default Depression.

Has anyone here battled this disease. I am losing my family now for some poor choices I have made. I feel depression is the cause. The steam roll of it all is a lot for me to carry right now and I feel I am losing my grip. What is the best way to help myself before I do something stupid.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM

Please see your doctor.
This is something you can't battle alone. It isn't easy asking for help, in this case it is essential.

Here is a website worth checking out.
http://www.depressionhurts.ca

Hang in there.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

pm sent bud
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

This something that you can't deal with on your own, asking for help is the first step to ending depression...
good luck..
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM

pm sent also...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 PM

A lot of employee medical coverage have counseling available as part of the package. This is always private and not reported to the employer. If you have a health plan it may include this.

A lot of communities also have 'help' numbers that people can call to get in touch with services, or just someone to chat with about what you can do about problems. There may even be a provincial one. Check you local phone book under the blue pages to see what may be close to you.

This is a treatable disease that deserves no shame, but you have to reach out to get the help you need. A family doctor could guide you as well, but if time is of the essence, have a look for a help line to get a start.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

"According to Health Canada and Statistics Canada, approximately 8% of adult Canadians will experience a major depression/anxiety at some point in their lives, and around 5% will in a given year."

You are not alone! Depression is an illness that is treatable.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 AM

pm sent
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM

the absolute best thing you can do at this very minute is call

403 943 5465 in Calgary

780 408 5465 in Edmonton

or toll free

1 866 408 5465

It is free, confidential and offered by Alberta Health Services.
They can assess what you're going through and make a recommendation for you for right now... maybe that would be to go to emerg,..maybe that's just to talk,...

but it's protected by your right to confidentiality and the person on the other end is a professional.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
Has anyone here battled this disease. I am losing my family now for some poor choices I have made. I feel depression is the cause. The steam roll of it all is a lot for me to carry right now and I feel I am losing my grip. What is the best way to help myself before I do something stupid.
My friend, you need to go to the emergency department today. Go in, tell the triage nurse why you are there. Be patient because right now, there is nothing more important in your world than getting help.

Depression is treatable but the biggest problem is people not getting help. If you had cancer, you would seek treatment? Yes. You have a disease called depression, thus you need treatment now as depression spreads, just like cancer, and it spreads to others near you.

It can be stopped, but only if you go to the hospital and seek treatment.

Get showered, have some breakfast, grab $20 for misc stuff, pack a small overnite bag with your toothbrush etc and head over to the hospital. Stay there. You know that you have to do this, so do it.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Both my wife and I work in Mental Health. She as a Psychologist and myself in education. 1 in 5 suffer from mental illness in a given year and you are not alone and help is easily available! Go to see a physician ASAP (walk in clinic if you do not have one of your own or in calgary you can go to the South Calgary Health Centre or Sheldon Chumir Health Centre) or contact the distress center (403)266-HELP/1605 or in Edmonton The support network (780) 482-4357.

You will get through this!

Peter
Old 02-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Very sage advice being handed out here Rotax...accept the heartfelt tips without judging yourself. Why is it that us guys have no problem in getting our vehicles tuned up, guns tuned up, reels tuned up, we read on how to maintain what ever "toy" we have, BUT when it comes to our feelings or relationships, we don't ever try to get a tune up on those? It is nothing to be ashamed about or embarrassed about...it is a necessity as far as I'm concerned! We are all pulling for you!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Your a brave man to ask for help and I hope you find it. Remember one thing, no matter how bad things get, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Many of us have been through marriage break ups and divorce, fought for custody or visitation rights for our children.
Its a hard hill to climb but you will reach the top. Do what you need to do and take one day at a time. Take one hour, 1 minute at a time if you have to....ask your self is there anything right here right now that I can't handle. Talk to people, get in a support group and get yourself outside of the vicious circle.

No matter what, don't listen to the comittee of *******s in your head. You are a good person and life is very much worth living.

All the best my friend!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

I lost my brother to this 2 years ago.I think it was a combo self pity/they`ll miss me when I`m gone sort of thing.I found him hanging in his basement.
Trust me,you don`t EVER want the people you love to remember you like that.
Get help,get pills,go fishing,get a puppy,play with your kids............anything it takes.Stay strong.Joe.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Depression

Lots of good advice here Dennis, not much more to say than call someone, even a buddy and go fishing or for coffee, and tak, that's what is missing in this tech world, human interface. Best to you.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM

It took me about 15 years to figure out that I was depressed and feeling the way I felt was not normal. Been on happy pills since my mid twenties. I'm glad you recognize that there is a problem and it didn't take you as long as it took me.

The "Rage internalized" quote is a good one.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM

hey bud i went through periods of depression it can seem pretty bleek at times i went to my doctor he put me on effexor it took a while put i would have to say it really helped me.DO NOT GIVE UP IT WILL GET BETTER GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ASAP
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

EVERY poster has given some very good advice !!! Just guessing ROTAX but this little ditty might give you a smile !!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DNlsUPL_4
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

After reading every post, I figure that depression is like busting your arm.

You bust your arm, you go to a doctor to fix it.

If you don't fix that arm, you are creating long term hurt on yourself.

Depression is the same.

Do what Randy says, and keep that appointment.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 AM

I feel for ya Bud. I've been fighting depression all my life. Had no self esteem or confidence in myself and it usually came out in rage. Don't know why my wife and kids stuck with me for 30 years. But about 20 years ago I tried to quit smoking and the Doc gave me Wellbutrin. Didn't make me stop smoking but my wife noticed a slight change in my attitude so the Doc kept me on it for a little while and then changed to Effexor. That worked awsome, I even got some good feeling about myself going again. Well that all came to a crash when I had an accident and screwed up my back. Started drinking fairly heavy and the Effexor lost it's effect and I just stopped taking it. Big mistake. Sat out in my RV one night with a bottle of vodka, a bottle of painkillers and a razer blade drunk and deciding which one would be easiest. Chose the pills because I figured I'd just pass out if I drank more but ended up puking them out and passing out anyway. When I woke up the next morning I was scared. Pulled my wits together and straightened myself out for a while until I had surgery and then I was a mess again. Went back on a higher dose of wellbutrin and after a pretty rocky number of years I'm finally feeling better about my life. It's still scary waking up every morning wondering if todays the day I flip again but it's just one day at a time. I've developed a few little ways to stop myself before it gets carried away and time will tell. Took me a very long time to realize there's always someone more than willing to lend you an ear. Life has it's struggles but you have the power to change things for the better and I know you will. Pencil me in as one of your fellow forumers here to do whatever I can. PM me anytime. Sorry for the long rant guys but I tried to put 30 or so years into a short story.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Count me in as well. Lost a best friend to this disease and wish everyday i could have helped more. Anytime you want to talk or anything. Pm me. i check this site often so you wont have to wait long to hear from me.