Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Default A little overboard tasing a 10 yr 0ld

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...183349654.html

If its true I hope he gets thrown in prison with the label of child abuser myself.

This couldn't have been the lesson that the Tularosa New Mexico Intermediate School staff were expecting on "career day."

Chris Webb, an officer with the New Mexico Department of Public Safety, is being sued after allegedly using a Taser on a 10-year-old boy in an attempt to demonstrate what happens when people disobey the police.

According to the complaint filed, Webb had asked a group of young boys if they'd like to clean his patrol unit during his career day visit. Several of the boys had agreed to the chore while one boy was, well, less than thrilled.

Webb then pointed the Taser at the boy, saying "let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," RT reports.

The child reportedly blacked out after receiving 50,000 volts of electricity from the two barbs taken in the chest, but the deplorable story gets worse.

"Instead of calling emergency medical personnel, Officer Webb pulled out the barbs and took the boy to the school principal's office," says RT. The boy was left with two scars on his chest that have been described in court as "cigarette burns."

"The boy, R.D., has woken up in the middle of the night holding his chest, afraid he is never going to wake up again," says legal guardian Rachel Higgins, speaking of the child's case of post-traumatic stress disorder. "No reasonable officer confronting a situation where the need for force is at its lowest, on a playground with elementary age children, would have deployed the Taser in so reckless a manner as to cause physical and psychological injury."

On behalf of the child, Higgins is currently suing Officer Webb and the New Mexico Department of Public Safety, seeking punitive damages for a host of charges including excessive force, battery, unreasonable seizure, failure to render emergency medical care, and negligent hiring, training, supervision and retention, RT reports.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM

If this is true then that cop deserves 2 nut crushing clamps on his testicles with 200,000 volts going through untill he is a cooked turkey.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM

wow I say stand that ****er against a wall and let him have it and charge the bastards family for the wasted bullets imo
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM

He's being sued. So? He should be charged and prosecuted. A conviction for assault causing bodily harm is a slam dunk. Then he can show a bunch of cons what a tough guy he is....see how those odds work out. Karma.

"deployed the Taser"...yeah, right. Makes me gag. He assaulted a kid with a a high tech cattle prod, he didn't "deploy" anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM

One that snuck through the screen.

What an idiot.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
One that snuck through the screen.

What an idiot.
one that snuck through?

Their screening process failed to detect an idiot with no sense what so ever.

By design?

They tazed a child in BC who was armed with a pencil...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Sickening to hear this happens in canada.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

A lot of guys here think that criticism of our police forces makes us cop haters or cop bashers, but that is the most basic possible response to such criticism.

It's not about hating, or bashing.

It is about accountability, and our institution is experiencing systemic failure in that regard and has so for some time.

Change is needed.

The public has lost confidence in the institution.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM

I think more kids should be tazed now a days.....I think it is the reason so many have lost their manners....not enough tazing going on.

jokes people jokes....

LC
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM

But pull out yer phone and record this guys antics, and YOU could end up in jail!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

That little boy has just got himself a large trust fund for life.

I hope he spends it wisely.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think more kids should be tazed now a days.....I think it is the reason so many have lost their manners....not enough tazing going on.

jokes people jokes....

LC
Spoke before being spoken to?

That's a tasin...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Wow, deplorable isn't the word.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
But pull out yer phone and record this guys antics, and YOU could end up in jail!
Well, they do say that the laws are there to protect the criminals...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

A cop in California used pepper spray on a special ed student last year.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/articl...op-2384518.php

Then there was the delirious bedridden heart patient in Kamloops that got tasered.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...man-taser.html

These non lethal deterrent are a great tool for police but there needs to be a higher standard involving their use. Both of these situations could have been resolved by simply waiting for the persons to settle down, nobody was ever in danger. These tools are just making some police lazy.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 PM

Deplorable, power tripping punk. I hope he is never allowed to forget this for the rest of his pathetic life. I don't think I could contain myself. There is no explaination or excuse. Just don't even begin to open your mouth coward. The finest to serve and protect. That little fable of a saying ceased to exist long ago.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
one that snuck through?

Their screening process failed to detect an idiot with no sense what so ever.

By design?

By design?

And you wonder why some are labelled. o.O
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Makes you wonder.

I mean obviously the tazing was wrong but what is the rest of this story?

Was it truly intentional?

I'm having a hard time picturing a cop...any cop... tazing a 10 y/o kid... at least for that.

Did it.."just go off"?
Was it muscle memory...draw... fire... oops?

I agree charges should be on the table but if you've ever been trained through conditioning... stimulus/response you eventually run into a circumstance where it can bugger you badly.
Muscle memory develops to the point where actions are carried out without conscious thought.
It the same sort of thing that makes startling or faking a punch at a fighter so dangerous.....they'll level you and follow through with no intent. They just can't stop the reflex they've been conditioned for.

None of this really matters much as far as outcomes in this case but this case might be a good indication that training can be too real and stimulus/response conditioning can have undesirable windfall effects.

Perhaps training needs to be reviewed and adjusted to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
A lot of guys here think that criticism of our police forces makes us cop haters or cop bashers, but that is the most basic possible response to such criticism.
That is the exact response that I got from a North Dakota cop when I was criticizing the RCMP after they murdered Robert Dziekański in 2007.

He said "Well, there is no point trying to be rational with a cop hater. No matter what you say, he will disagree with you", as if that was the easiest way to explain away my reasons for disliking the RCMP. A couple of people agreed and joined the band wagon with him, but most kept asking him to explain himself. He in turn called those people cop haters as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
That is the exact response that I got from a North Dakota cop when I was criticizing the RCMP after they murdered Robert Dziekański in 2007.

He said "Well, there is no point trying to be rational with a cop hater. No matter what you say, he will disagree with you", as if that was the easiest way to explain away my reasons for disliking the RCMP. A couple of people agreed and joined the band wagon with him, but most kept asking him to explain himself. He in turn called those people cop haters as well.
The Dokota Cop may be ticked for this reason:

If you stated that the RCMP officers "Murdered" Robert Dziekanski then you need to prove/believe that the officers went into the situation with the preconceived intention to commit a criminal offence and/or murder. Now if believe their negilent actions resulted in Mr. Dziekanski's death, that is "Manslaughter" not "Murder."
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

It's not about hating, or bashing.

It is about accountability, and our institution is experiencing systemic failure in that regard and has so for some time.

Change is needed.

The public has lost confidence in the institution.
The problem lies in labeling everyone for the action of one. In a population you have a range of intelligence.

My point is 1 bad person/cop does not made all bad by association
1 bad teacher does not make all teachers bad by association
1 bad bus driver does not make all bus drivers bad by association
1 bad hunter/poacher does not make all hunters bad by association

1 bad lawyers does not...ok that one I won't touch.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My point is 1 bad...../cop does not make all bad.
Here's my 2 cents.
Don't know much about the mounties, haven't been stopped by them lately, but I find most Calgary cops pretty good. I got stopped for speeding a few times and they were nice about it, and said "sir". Made the wife 'real happy', because "we don't give enough money to the city".

We've been here since '86 and only met 2 that were jerks.

Last time I got caught in a radar trap, I told the cops that one of them has to come home with me. When they asked why, I told them he'll have to stand between me and the wife when I show her the ticket.
"You'll be preventing a murder. That's your job, isn't it?"

They laughed their @$$es off. Its good they have a sense of humor.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The problem lies in labeling everyone for the action of one. In a population you have a range of intelligence.

My point is 1 bad person/cop does not made all bad by association
1 bad teacher does not make all teachers bad by association
1 bad bus driver does not make all bus drivers bad by association
1 bad hunter/poacher does not make all hunters bad by association

1 bad lawyers does not...ok that one I won't touch.
Of course not but it's all about perception.

Officers are granted power .. the ability to make discretionary choices on how they serve, arrest, use force against the citizens of their cities/provinces/countries. With that authority comes the -need- to hold them to a higher standard. Unchecked power corrupts.

Perception would be best managed by law enforcement agencies firing and/or charging bad officers in a timely process and apologizing openly and regretfully for their actions. My own perception is, right or wrong, that disciplinary actions are too light, take forever to be applied, and are ineffectual as 'issues' seem to keep occurring.

I feel sorry for the decent officers. They get labelled and treated like the bad ones by many members of the public and it must make the job extra stressful and thankless. But the only way to start correcting the issues is to address it from within. They need to be accountable, responsible, honest, and hold their fellow officers to the higher standard that they themselves adhere to.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

If you stated that the RCMP officers "Murdered" Robert Dziekanski then you need to prove/believe that the officers went into the situation with the preconceived intention to commit a criminal offence and/or murder. Now if believe their negilent actions resulted in Mr. Dziekanski's death, that is "Manslaughter" not "Murder."
No, he used the "cop hater" response whenever someone criticized the police for anything.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

So your saying the cops didnt murder him, they manslaughtered him?

Am I a cop hater now too?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
So your saying the cops didnt murder him, they manslaughtered him?

Am I a cop hater now too?
Can you explain what made it murder?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Good on the cop. Kid needed to be taught a lesson
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
These tools are just making some police lazy.
They are not tools. They are weapons. These things inflict great pain and leave little trace. That is what we call things whose purpose is to intimidate and to inflict pain/hurt. Weapon.

Stop going along with the deception that they are "tools" and/or "harmless". That tripe was broadcast by the manufacturer to get everyone to buy them and then repeated by Big Police for their own reasons.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Of course not but it's all about perception.

Officers are granted power .. the ability to make discretionary choices on how they serve, arrest, use force against the citizens of their cities/provinces/countries. With that authority comes the -need- to hold them to a higher standard. Unchecked power corrupts.

Perception would be best managed by law enforcement agencies firing and/or charging bad officers in a timely process and apologizing openly and regretfully for their actions. My own perception is, right or wrong, that disciplinary actions are too light, take forever to be applied, and are ineffectual as 'issues' seem to keep occurring.

I feel sorry for the decent officers. They get labelled and treated like the bad ones by many members of the public and it must make the job extra stressful and thankless. But the only way to start correcting the issues is to address it from within. They need to be accountable, responsible, honest, and hold their fellow officers to the higher standard that they themselves adhere to.
I never said that the bad ones should not be held to a higher standard. That I agree with. I don't agree with others but I agree with you that it is not fair to label.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM

One thing that made it worse, in my mind, is that it sounds like the kid is/was in the foster care system as his legal guardian is doing the suing not his parents. If the kid did not have trust issues before this, he is going to have them now.