Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Default Practice, practice, practice

So I got my first rifle this Christmas (Salvage XP with scope) in 30-06. Its nothing special but I'm over the moon excited about it. I first sighted it at ~50 yards free hand (seeing as most shots while hunting are going to be from this position). Cause lets be honest I wasn't sure if I could hit the target at 100 yards.

Since then I been out 3 times just getting comfortable with the gun, and working on my shooting technique paying attention my things like breathing, trigger squeeze, and how I hold the rifle of course I been paying attention to the barrel heat. Every time I go I do 5 groups of 4 shots. The last 2 times I went I can consistently shoot ~a 6" radius around the bulls-eye, with most of my shots going focused a little more to the right side. I figured if I can shoot at least once a month till the next hunting season I should be able to make a clean hit.

I been watching a lot of shooting videos, to try and soak up as much info as I can. Other then just practice is there anything else I could be doing to improve? Any good instructional videos every shooter should watch?
Old 01-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Move out to 100 yards and do a proper sight in with a rest, then go back to shooting from field positions.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM

First-off...I'm NO expert...so take this with a grain of salt... I do have about 35 years of shooting experience though, and don't often miss.

I think you have the right attitude, but maybe the wrong approach. Priority #1 with a new rifle (after you have a grip on safety/function) is figuring-out what ammo it likes best, within the realm of what you plan to do with it. (ie~hunting vs. target) I reload, so it goes differently for me...but for those who don't load, it's a good idea to buy a few varieties of ammo first, then get yourself to a 100 yard range with a steady rest. This can be the fancy kind, or this can be a bag of rice. A rock-solid bench is best, even better if you have something to support the butt at the proper height. (I use a "rear bag" from TAB) Provided the rifle's scope is zeroed, and without adjusting the scope, take 3 shots...allowing a few minutes between. (depending on the caliber) Repeat with all the types of ammo you brought. It's highly likely that one or more groups will be allot smaller than 6". If you find one shoots a tight group, zero your scope with that ammo then go practice shooting the way you want. Offhand, prone, with a rest, etc. At this point, you at least know the scope is perfectly zeroed, the gun shoots the ammo well, and the only weak link is you!

Before hitting the range....google some accurate shooting techniques. I don't know what your experience level is, but I notice allot of new shooters quite literally "pulling" the trigger...not a gradual increase in pressure until the shot goes off. Big difference. Breathing matters too, but the simplest way to overcome that is shooting near the end of an exhale. For me anyway~least amount of movement.

Lastly...I saw the "Salvage" spelling and as an avid Savage shooter, I get a bit of a chuckle out of that. Every Savage centerfire rifle I've shot (about 8 now) have been exceptional in terms of accuracy. Everything from 2 Axis models (.223/.270) all the way up to my Savage PC10 .223. I suspect my new Predator Max1 in .243 will shoot the same. Are they over-priced for the build quality? Yes they are, but Savage tend to be very accurate with great factory triggers for the price. In my opinion anyway.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Dryfire practice is very beneficial and saves on ammo. It goes through all the same principals as actually shooting (Trigger control, breathing control and muscle memory) As Elk said, sight in properly and then shoot from various field positions at yardages you're comfortable shooting at.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM

You have what I suspect can be a very accurate rifle in a very versatile cartridge good for hunting anything in Alberta.

However, when shooting as much as you need to become really proficient, ammunition can become a significant expense and a 30-06 has enough recoil and noise to cause a flinch to develop.

I suggest you borrow or buy a bolt action (single shot or repeater) 22LR rifle to do most of your training and practice. Used rifles in 22LR are quite common and reasonably priced, and new Savage is not much more. Having a 22 will give you something to shoot while your 30-06 is cooling, (which your barrel will really appreciate), and a lower recoiling rifle with less noise will allow you to become comfortable shooting in many different positions. I suggest a non semi-auto as it will encourage you to 'make each shot count' and train you to 'call your shots'.

The economics are pretty simple, a 22LR cartridge cost is about the same as a centerfire primer, but if you do not reload, you can probably fire ~15 shots of 22LR for a similar cost as one factory loaded 30-06. You could fire 150x22LR+10x30-06 for a similar cost as 20x30-06 (+- YMMV). IMHO you will learn a LOT more with 160 shots than you will with 20. It will not take long to save the cost of a 22LR with just ammo savings, and afterwards you will still have the rifle.

As others suggest, dry fire is great training and it is free.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Banned

Your rifle should be sighted in off of sandbags and/or a rest and not offhand. You could start there. Practising off hand shooting is fine, but you should practise kneeling, sitting and prone if you are new to this. Hunting afield usually allows for varied positions that are far steadier than offhand. Many times you are also offered make due rests such as fence posts, fence wire, tree limbs etc. or one of my favourite, a walking stick. Even with much experience behind me, I always look at free hand as the last option . And finally as other have stated, a .22 rimfire will gone a long ways to hone the skills.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-29-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
You have what I suspect can be a very accurate rifle in a very versatile cartridge good for hunting anything in Alberta.

However, when shooting as much as you need to become really proficient, ammunition can become a significant expense and a 30-06 has enough recoil and noise to cause a flinch to develop.

I suggest you borrow or buy a bolt action (single shot or repeater) 22LR rifle to do most of your training and practice. Used rifles in 22LR are quite common and reasonably priced, and new Savage is not much more. Having a 22 will give you something to shoot while your 30-06 is cooling, (which your barrel will really appreciate), and a lower recoiling rifle with less noise will allow you to become comfortable shooting in many different positions. I suggest a non semi-auto as it will encourage you to 'make each shot count' and train you to 'call your shots'.

The economics are pretty simple, a 22LR cartridge cost is about the same as a centerfire primer, but if you do not reload, you can probably fire ~15 shots of 22LR for a similar cost as one factory loaded 30-06. You could fire 150x22LR+10x30-06 for a similar cost as 20x30-06 (+- YMMV). IMHO you will learn a LOT more with 160 shots than you will with 20. It will not take long to save the cost of a 22LR with just ammo savings, and afterwards you will still have the rifle.

As others suggest, dry fire is great training and it is free.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Awesome post.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:54 PM

To my previous post #5, I would add.

I suggest you save all your fired 30-06 brass as it will be fire-formed for YOUR rifle and will be useful when you want to start reloading.
Just store it in the original box, clean & dry it will last for years.

I also suggest you get a good (Dewey) one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide.
Always clean from the rear, and NEVER with a steel brush.

Shoot safe & have fun.
Good Luck, YMMV.