Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default Is this a scammer????

As you can see, I have a boat for sale. I have listed online and I just received this email through one of these online services (trader.ca). This sounds fishy, I do have a PayPal account. So this guy sends me the funds and then what? Can you folks have a look and give me an opinion? - thanks

Thanks for the swift response...due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement with the pics and i am satisfied with it.. I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition with the full price as well..As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

If you can't see that's a scam then I have a bridge to sell you...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Start asking indept guestions! They will either not reply or will give you honest answeres!
Wish ya luck!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Run, Forrest, run !!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM

How many people do you know that buy entry-level budget used equipment have an agent do so for them? The wording makes me think scam. Too much of it is worded universally without specific reference to what you're selling.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Cash is king
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM

I have seen that same response so many times it's stupid. Well, maybe not THAT many times, but enough.

Scam.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM

SCAM!!! If he cant bring cash,Find a real buyer.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM

Its such a scam its predictable....lol

I've seen too many of these that its almost ridiculous how similar they all are. Ask him how the weather in Nigeria is these days!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

hey, scam is the first thing that came to my mind. But, maybe he's an ijit. Let's just say he deposits to my Paypal account, I got his cash and he's got what? I've heard of scams, but they run a bit different then this one. Just checking because once he's made a deposit to Paypal, how can he defraud me? just checking.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Oops, my BS detector just went off. That sounds eerily similar to emails we got when we had properties advertised for rent. Some were so good we just turned them over to the RCMP to add to their scam files. I'd just keep up an in depth email conversation for a while and it soon shows if it makes any sense. Also run a google search any info you get out of him. But, he may be legit, just sayin.

PS Eventually I started to have fun with the foreign scammers who told me they're doctors coming to the University of High River to do AIDS research.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 PM

tell him to send the cash with the guy thats comming to pick it up best of luck
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Word for word the same BS reply my daughter got when she was selling her car. They'll deni receipt of the goods and get you in a charge back situation and you'll have the Paypal funds pulled back.

TBark
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

BEWARE!!! classic scam . Here is what I think going to happen. He pays you, then the so called agent will pick up the the boat and the 5th wheel. Then he will contact Paypal and he will file for a dispute. Since he never pick up the goods personally he will say he never got the goods. Then Paypal will refund him from your account. And since paypal ask for your bank account when you join them they will still be able to get the money even if you withdrew it from your Paypal account. I got scammed this way, hard lesson.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Post from this past spring.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83949

TBark
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Thumbs down Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Run, Forrest, run !!
X2 ^ !
It's not worth the risk ... wait for a ligit buyer.

Regards,

TF
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Heck of a plan....thanks!

Thanks Tbark, I see that I replied to that post. What got me thinking though is that he offered to pay first. As I said "scam" was what came to my mind immediately, but being that I'm selling the boat, I was just being a bit hopefull for the best. Thanks for the reminder though,

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-08-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM

better ask for cash only
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Anyone that asks for paypal or a credit card number is probably trying to scam you. The stupid thing with paypal is, if you are selling something and another paypal user pays you, they need to provide feedback in order for you to get your money. Paypal will hold that money until they give feedback for it, so unless you can prove you sold the item to them, you're probably going to get scammed.
Speaking of scams, I always enter draws at tradeshows, and entered one for a cruise to the Bahamas or something along those lines at Big Valley. They called me and said I won a vacation, I just had to pay $399 for 4 people yada yada yada. As soon as I said "I'm not giving out my credit card number over the phone", he hung up on me! Just a heads up for anyone who might have entered the same draw.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM

I say you should accept payment. Close your Paypal account (and withdraw all funds). And then allow them to pick up the boat. Just don't associate your Paypal with any account before payment is made.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
ooh... I like that better actually... scratch my last post. Much easier.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Gone Hunting

This scam has been running for years. Why? Cause people really want to sell their stuff AND get their asking price.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Looks fishy.

Judging from the syntax...I'd say someone of eastern european origin.
Just a wild guess but they write the way folks from those parts usually sound.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Looks fishy.

Judging from the syntax...I'd say someone of eastern european origin.
Just a wild guess but they write the way folks from those parts usually sound.
Huh?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
As you can see, I have a boat for sale. I have listed online and I just received this email through one of these online services (trader.ca). This sounds fishy, I do have a PayPal account. So this guy sends me the funds and then what? Can you folks have a look and give me an opinion? - thanks

Thanks for the swift response...due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement with the pics and i am satisfied with it.. I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition with the full price as well..As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

Thanks
Ok...people from eastern europe EXCEPT you Gustav.

It's the clipped way that some Hungarians, Russians etc sometimes talk....forgetting words like "the" and "a" in statements like...

,am a very busy type

or

due to nature of

Also...they say things like...

my courier agent...
Who says that?
Most people would just say... my courier.

or

I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition...

Most people would say that a bit differently.

Maybe something like.... I would appreciate it if you would provide me details of its present condition.

I'd be surprised if English was their native language.
It looks like the kind of thing someone fed into a online translator. The message is understood but the English is off a bit and it seems to mimic the English typically spoken by my inlaws and others from that part of the world.

The fact that quite a few scams are now originating there and that the Russian mob has landed was also factored in.

If you read it out loud the guy or gal sounds like Boris and Natasha.. or...my mother in law...

Just a super-wild guess and a bit of Sunday morning quarterbacking but I'd bet a beer on it.

Všechno nejlepší Ne MEA ani urážet
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Ok...people from eastern europe EXCEPT you Gustav.

It's the clipped way that some Hungarians, Russians etc sometimes talk....forgetting words like "the" and "a" in statements like...

,am a very busy type

or

due to nature of

Also...they say things like...

my courier agent...
Who says that?
Most people would just say... my courier.

or

I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition...

Most people would say that a bit differently.

Maybe something like.... I would appreciate it if you would provide me details of its present condition.

I'd be surprised if English was their native language.
It looks like the kind of thing someone fed into a online translator. The message is understood but the English is off a bit and it seems to mimic the English typically spoken by my inlaws and others from that part of the world.

The fact that quite a few scams are now originating there and that the Russian mob has landed was also factored in.

If you read it out loud the guy or gal sounds like Boris and Natasha.. or...my mother in law...

Just a super-wild guess and a bit of Sunday morning quarterbacking but I'd bet a beer on it.

Všechno nejlepší Ne MEA ani urážet
I'll go with a translator program code written by a russian but it's tough to write like that normally,, it has nicey feely in the beginning with a blunt demand at the end.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I'll go with a translator program code written by a russian but it's tough to write like that normally,, it has nicey feely in the beginning with a blunt demand at the end.
Yup...thats sounds like my mother in law alright!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Banned

Sketchy ad fer sure. I know we bump heads from time to time gtrdun but from one arch nemesis to another, don't do it,, just wait it out on board here.

The trailer is a good price, what gives?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Got the same

I got the same exact response off of Kijiji ....I responded personal pick up only and cash small bills only....no response ...

either a joke or , scamming pay pal...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Contact PayPal and forward them a copy of that email.