Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
You dont have to be rude. Just ask him to speak up if you are having trouble hearing. I am sure he wont mind.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking View Post
So im on my coffe break and this guy comes in and starts reading the bible quietly but loud enuff that everyone one in the room can hear him murmur words, i for one understand religion but should this guy be going to another location alone or is it ok for him to read it out loud to himself so that other can hear him? any thoughts on this?
Hey King i am going to bring my bible to work tonight . i'll read a few page to you.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
What is so wrong with the Koran? Could be a Satanic book the guy is reading. At least the Koran talks about some of the same players as the bible, and in fact even holds them in high regard.

Sounds like you are prejudiced, or at least a bit ignorant.
Not even close on both prejudism nor ignorance. Although I must admit that my tolerance level for some has been somewhat challenged in that regard. I know that the Koran runs very paralell to some of the teachings in the Bible, however you have to admit that some individuals take the Koran to such extremes that they see fit to kill all infidels (those that don't abide by the teachings of the Koran). The various versions of the Bible as those of the Koran are recollections made by man, to satisfy man's hunger for power over other men. My next endeavour is to read the St. Thomas texts which were discovered in 1945 at Nag Hammadi in Egypt 1945. Those contained 104 verses said to be the words of Jesus himself. The Vatican has proclaimed these to be heresy as it would bring down the Catholic church like a house of cards. Still think I'm prejudice or ignorant?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot71 View Post
Hey King i am going to bring my bible to work tonight . i'll read a few page to you.
He's not asking you to make it more decipherable,, he's asking whether or not the guy should read/mummur the bible in public.

I personally think that the Bible should be kept at home or church or bible camp or the like
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Not even close on both prejudism nor ignorance. Although I must admit that my tolerance level for some has been somewhat challenged in that regard. I know that the Koran runs very paralell to some of the teachings in the Bible, however you have to admit that some individuals take the Koran to such extremes that they see fit to kill all infidels (those that don't abide by the teachings of the Koran). The various versions of the Bible as those of the Koran are recollections made by man, to satisfy man's hunger for power over other men. My next endeavour is to read the St. Thomas texts which were discovered in 1945 at Nag Hammadi in Egypt 1945. Those contained 104 verses said to be the words of Jesus himself. The Vatican has proclaimed these to be heresy as it would bring down the Catholic church like a house of cards. Still think I'm prejudice or ignorant?

neat, the writings of doubting thomas, i can see why the vat would get fidgety
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM

For me, it's not what a person is reading but the fact that they are murmuring! Soo, that is why I generally move if they cannot read without having to murmur - my problem, not theirs!
However, IF the religion thing is brought in and pushed , that is a different matter for sure.

The people where I used to work go outside if they are on there cells.
Cat
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Maybe you should read it with him, might be enlightening .
Spoken like a true man of the Cloth!
You ever thought of taking up preaching - oh, waitaminit.......
Cat
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
neat, the writings of doubting thomas, i can see why the vat would get fidgety
Well of course they would. I grew up in Belgium, staunch Catholic country. There in small farming communities, the farms and houses are the basics, but the Roman Catholic churches are cathedrals by Canada's standard. Even as a kid, I had to ask myself why such oppulence in wood carvings, icon statues and gold wouldn't have been better served to feed the hungry and desperates such as those now in Africa that are dying by the millions. I still remain confused as to why children are dying of starvation and the Catholic church with their seat of power in the Vatican, Rome...hasn't stepped up to the plate.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
He's not asking you to make it more decipherable,, he's asking whether or not the guy should read/mummur the bible in public.

I personally think that the Bible should be kept at home or church or bible camp or the like
Ok, so if dude had been murmuring a Spider Man comic book, perhaps he wouldn't bitch and rant about it. But it was the Bible...........oooooohhhhh, spoooooky.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well of course they would. I grew up in Belgium, staunch Catholic country. There in small farming communities, the farms and houses are the basics, but the Roman Catholic churches are cathedrals by Canada's standard. Even as a kid, I had to ask myself why such oppulence in wood carvings, icon statues and gold wouldn't have been better served to feed the hungry and desperates such as those now in Africa that are dying by the millions. I still remain confused as to why children are dying of starvation and the Catholic church with their seat of power in the Vatican, Rome...hasn't stepped up to the plate.

my parents are european catholics but quite liberal, however they aren't very pro-vatican for the reasons you mention and more. 2nd largest bank in the world and the largest private collection of art and artifacts plundered for who knows what. And, the latest documentary on the Pope rubber stamping quiet passage to safe houses for preistly pedophiles is revolting. I'm an atheist but do like a number of passages/guides in the Bible. anyhoo
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, so if dude had been murmuring a Spider Man comic book, perhaps he wouldn't bitch and rant about it. But it was the Bible...........oooooohhhhh, spoooooky.
x2....this is hardly worth discussing. So a guy at work mumbles when he reads.......
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
my parents are european catholics but quite liberal, however they aren't very pro-vatican for the reasons you mention and more. 2nd largest bank in the world and the largest private collection of art and artifacts plundered for who knows what. And, the latest documentary on the Pope rubber stamping quiet passage to safe houses for preistly pedophiles is revolting. I'm an atheist but do like a number of passages/guides in the Bible. anyhoo
Sorry to hear that your an atheist, but hey...your call. Glad at least that we could wrap it up on these terms...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

i don't think he was ranting, i think he was asking how to politely confront the individual if he even has the right to do so. i'd take the mummuring bible over the spiderman but had he started tooth whistling the tune from the bridge over the river kwai i would have i dunno, i would've,,,,
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to hear that your an atheist, but hey...your call. Glad at least that we could wrap it up on these terms...
not sure why you're sorry but that's ok,,, some years ago someone said to me "atheist, like a satanist?", uhm, no,, it was quite funny.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Spoken like a true man of the Cloth!
You ever thought of taking up preaching - oh, waitaminit.......
Cat
I just had to say it
Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I just had to say it
And, of course, I couldn't resist!!
Cat
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM

organize a company book burning?....

JK.

-Drake
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM

maybee just act like an adult and ask him to read silently?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You could sell all the riches in the world and Africa would still starve. You cant farm in sand
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
WWJD?
we want jack daniles?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Make sure you include where Moses tells his people to kill all the men and women and children of the neighboring tribe, but they can keep the virgins they find for themselves. (Numbers 31:1-54)

Yeah, that's the teachings I want my kids to learn.

Keep you readings to yourself and respect those who prefer not to go the faith route your on.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
get the new testament makes more sense
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 AM

In my opinion,there is no doubt that he have the right to murmur there.But you also have the right to make him silence to protect you ear.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
I've been told the whole thing is "inerrant". They must have been mistaken.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
If you have a body of water near by you can fix that problem fairly easy.
I think drowning a man is taking it a bit extreme....
Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You could sell all the riches in the world and Africa would still starve. You cant farm in sand

actually you can. there was an excellent program on farming in the sand, and what is needed is Water... lots of it. When the sand is properly irrigated, stuff grew great, especially the root vegetables.

I wish I had recorded that program. I live on sand/silt and they explained how to test and improve the soil.

but your first statement is true, I believe due to the politics and corruption of the gov'ts in charge. They steal all the Aid.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post

I find it interesting that many pick and choose which parts of the bible they want to read and believe in.

Yet those same folks will say the bible is the "Literal Word of God"

How can they have it both ways?

I have two uncles who are catholic priests and they have never been able to explain that, or how the Vatican can be broke, yet have TONS of Gold, or why the Vatican voted on what writings went into the N.T. and even VOTED on whether Jesus was God.

Yup.. interesting.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
I find it interesting that many pick and choose which parts of the bible they want to read and believe in.

I have two uncles who are catholic priests and they have never been able to explain that, or how the Vatican can be broke, yet have TONS of Gold, or why the Vatican voted on what writings went into the N.T. and even VOTED on whether Jesus was God.

Yup.. interesting.

Simple really. These are men. It isn't unusual for men to twist anything into something that suits them at the time. So unless you believe these men are gods then why would you be surprised.

Not all religious men are evil , stupid , corrupt or liars. Much like the rest of humanity.

It is sometimes easier to point to the crooks and say that's why I hate religion than it is to find the honest ones and say that is why I believe.

I'm not preaching. I'm just sayin'

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM

This thread sure has taken a left turn!!
it's gone form someone reading a bible and murmuring to whether or not the Bible itself is a righteous book!!
A very wise man once told me that the Bible to him ( he read it constantly but was not a religious person) was a history book,m but many used it as a cook book!!
When one thinks about it, it makes a bit of sense!

Cat
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post

Yup.. interesting.
nobody nos how many times the earth as been wiped clean of all life form and all trace of existence......mans day of recognition is coming.