Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Well that was not fun at all

So, I get my youngest daughter down for a nap. Decide to take my three year old out in the backyard to play with the dog while I try to clean up the mess that's out there from our recent digging activities around our leaky foundation. There's a huge mound of dirt out there that I can use some of to full up our unplanted garden with beside the garage. I start getting a few bricks out of the garden and picking up some doggy mess around the yard. As im getting rid of said mess, my daughter who's in the garden says bee!! Followed by the loudest screams of pain I've heard her yell. Low and behold a flock of wasps have taken hold of the inside of my garage wall entering through an outside hole. She is under attack. I grab her and rush her to the house with the dog who also has a wasp on her. Trying to shake off wasps frOm my daughters head and the dog as well as myself while trying to get in the house is not an easy task. I myself suffered a painful sting on the ribs. My daughter once in the house is still screaming in pain yet again. She is stung three times. Once on the ear, shoulder and abdomin. I throw her in the shower as quick as I can only to find another wasp crawling through her hair.

I myself have never been stung before. Until last week. Dug up a nest around our window well while digging them out. The **** sucker went into my boot and got my ankle. That was no where near as painful as the one I got today. I'm 31. I can only imagine how it must have felt for my three year old. Poor little girl, scarred for life from bees now.

After taking care of her, getting some owie cream and bandaids and cookies and ice, I get my battle gear and body armor on. All suited up I head outside to seek revenge. Grab some spray and killed maybe 20 at the hole before I run out of ammo. Now sitting inside with a burning sting and a daughter who ended falling asleep on the couch.

There are still wasps flyin around our there. I am currently planning my second counter offensive when the wife gets home and more wasps have shown up to die.

That was my day so far.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM

That doesnt sound like fun.

Wait until they are all accounted for and "sleeping" (say 11 PM) and spray a ton of poision... follow up with expanding foam to ensure they don't return through the same hole...

Although, you don't want to be spraying poison if you are in your garage.. maybe expanding foam will be enough?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Ouch..... The little buggers don't tickle.... Been stung only once in my life.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM

KILL EM DADDY! or someone will want to stay inside.

Take 1 quart of water and mix in 3 tablespoons of dish washing soap. Borrow your kids squirt gun, the super soaker works best. Fill up the squirt gun, stand back and soak the nest with your soap and water mixture.

This mixture will kill the wasps, but be sure to check the nest the next day to make sure no wasp escaped your aim! If the nest is clear, knock it down.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

Take 1 quart of water and mix in 3 tablespoons of dish washing soap. Borrow your kids squirt gun, the super soaker works best. Fill up the squirt gun, stand back and soak the nest with your soap and water mixture.

This mixture will kill the wasps, but be sure to check the nest the next day to make sure no wasp escaped your aim! If the nest is clear, knock it down.
Seems a bit tame......

Buy the harshest insecticide you can buy. Suit up you and your daughter with masks and the whole 9 yards. Spray them down, take a can of hairspray and a lighter and have flames leaping everywhere. Make it look like the apocalypse.....

Then, ever so quietly, tell your daughter "This is what I do to bugs that sting. Just imagine what I'd do to the boy that ever breaks your heart"

Make sure your wife hears it....
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Seems a bit tame......

Buy the harshest insecticide you can buy. Suit up you and your daughter with masks and the whole 9 yards. Spray them down, take a can of hairspray and a lighter and have flames leaping everywhere. Make it look like the apocalypse.....

Then, ever so quietly, tell your daughter "This is what I do to bugs that sting. Just imagine what I'd do to the boy that ever breaks your heart"

What he said^^^^
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM

I like it! Does insurance cover you if you inadvertently burn your garage down in the process?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Seems a bit tame......

You scare me sometimes sir!

I wasnt going to recommend fire as it was close to his home/garage and heaven forbid. I certainly wouldn't recommend having a 3 yr old participate.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I like it! Does insurance cover you if you inadvertently burn your garage down in the process?
It was arson. I know. I investigated it.......
Old 08-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

been a bad year for wasps. i feel very sorry for you and your daughter. wasp bites and or stings are extremely painfull and can even be fatal if your allergic. my wife thinks i suffer from spheksophobia (fear of wasps). might have a mild form of it but really i think it's pure hatred(same with mosquitoes).
as suggested wait till the dead of night and blast the s##t out of the nest with wasp spray. if nest not visible try to seal off entry points.
hope you and your daughter recover quickly.
p.s. just noticed this is post 666 for me which is fitting when discussing wasps. SPOOKY.

Last edited by waterninja; 08-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Sounds like kiddo is doing alright. Dad, not so much

On a serious note, wasp stings suck, big time. I'm sorry she ( and YOU, hogie) got nailed. The sight of one of those things sends me into a panic, running madly, screaming like a little girl.

I thought this year wasn't too bad yet (worse for the damn skeeters) but I am seeing those nasty little beggars popping up a LOT, right now.

Ugh. Hate 'em.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

soap and water only PO's wasps and bees.....sorry...see Huntin' carried on...good advice from him....
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM

I have sprayed them with brake cleaner and watch them fall out of the air dead.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Dunno why you just don't keep it simple. Raid wasp killer. Kills them on contact. Immediately.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Spray nine works well also
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Operation Kill the Bees now in effect....

Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM

X1000, spit coffee all over my screen, thanks for the chuckle!

Quote:
Seems a bit tame......

Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
So, I get my youngest daughter down for a nap. Decide to take my three year old out in the backyard to play with the dog while I try to clean up the mess that's out there from our recent digging activities around our leaky foundation. There's a huge mound of dirt out there that I can use some of to full up our unplanted garden with beside the garage. I start getting a few bricks out of the garden and picking up some doggy mess around the yard. As im getting rid of said mess, my daughter who's in the garden says bee!! Followed by the loudest screams of pain I've heard her yell. Low and behold a flock of wasps have taken hold of the inside of my garage wall entering through an outside hole. She is under attack. I grab her and rush her to the house with the dog who also has a wasp on her. Trying to shake off wasps frOm my daughters head and the dog as well as myself while trying to get in the house is not an easy task. I myself suffered a painful sting on the ribs. My daughter once in the house is still screaming in pain yet again. She is stung three times. Once on the ear, shoulder and abdomin. I throw her in the shower as quick as I can only to find another wasp crawling through her hair.

I myself have never been stung before. Until last week. Dug up a nest around our window well while digging them out. The **** sucker went into my boot and got my ankle. That was no where near as painful as the one I got today. I'm 31. I can only imagine how it must have felt for my three year old. Poor little girl, scarred for life from bees now.

After taking care of her, getting some owie cream and bandaids and cookies and ice, I get my battle gear and body armor on. All suited up I head outside to seek revenge. Grab some spray and killed maybe 20 at the hole before I run out of ammo. Now sitting inside with a burning sting and a daughter who ended falling asleep on the couch.

There are still wasps flyin around our there. I am currently planning my second counter offensive when the wife gets home and more wasps have shown up to die.

That was my day so far.
Shop vac with big funnel attached to the sucky part and your wifes favorite nylons at the exhaust part,, my two cents.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Shop vac with big funnel attached to the sucky part and your wifes favorite nylons at the exhaust part,, my two cents.
Does she put the nylons back on?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Cut a piece of potato or onion in half or quarters and hold it on the sting. Hold there maybe 5 mins. It'll draw the poison stuff out and kills the pain almost instantly. You will see the yellow type stuff in the potato/onion after. Actually onion works best. Great for wee ones who get bit. Course you would most likely have to be at home where you might have onion available or camping maybe.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Don't start already AD....Tree hasn't been gone 24 hrs. yet......LOL!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I agree with having your daughter either participate or at least witness Daddy giving the wasps their helping of revenge. It'll probably help her from being too scared of them or being the yard when she experiences who's in charge.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Cut a piece of potato or onion in half or quarters and hold it on the sting. Hold there maybe 5 mins. It'll draw the poison stuff out and kills the pain almost instantly. You will see the yellow type stuff in the potato/onion after. Actually onion works best. Great for wee ones who get bit. Course you would most likely have to be at home where you might have onion available or camping maybe.
windex is really good too.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gus puts them over his head an goes to the bank for a quick withdrawl.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Kill them ALLLLLL!!!

Little bastads.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Didn't the boys from Duck Dynasty try the Shop Vac idea?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Gus puts them over his head an goes to the bank for a quick withdrawl.
no but that reminds of the newfie joke about the two friends who work at the same factory packing nylons and buddy cant figure out why his friend who does the exact same job is getting more money on his pogey upgrade-grant, and asks his buddy what he put down for a job, and his buddy says diesel fitter,, like you know, "I thinks about my wife and I pull the nylons over my head and thinks diesel fitter!".

What's the subject again????

Right, wasps,, nasty critters
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM

been to the bottle depoit lately? I pulled in, looked around, then decided october is a better time to do my bottles!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
... I'm not sure what you mean??? While the shop vac it running or after when her hosery is full of wasps?

Either way it would be a good show.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Just a heads up....multiple stings can lead to the development of an allergy. Might want to get the little one checked out.

Years ago I cut into a nest I didn't see with a thinning saw. My chest and arms were covered in wasps, ......I hit the quick release and bolted out of the gully, stripping as I went....across the lawn and dove into the drainage pond wearing nothing but my shorts and work boots. Came to the surface to see all the office girls sitting in the sun laughing at me. Ended up with 31 stings below my elbows. From then on I carry a pen.