Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 AM

I've never seen this members of this group get so existing to praise a CBC article before.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

88' olympics was the only olympics to "make" money, I feel we could easily do the same thing this time around, but not with these idiots running it.
Care to share with us your revenue plan where it makes money on a 5.2 -7B expenditure?

[/QUOTE]The tourism created from the olympics would bring a huge influx into canada which is great for our economy for many years following the games.[/QUOTE]

Calgary and Canada already spends millions and millions of dollars to attract tourism. Do you think we should spend 5-7B more for this?

Care to share the huge influx details in terms of actual dollars? I hear this all the time but never see any documented data. Remember it has to be incremental tourism dollars over and above what would be coming already
Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Care to share with us your revenue plan where it makes money on a 5.2 -7B expenditure?
MY Revenue Plan? open a pot shop as close to the village as possible = profit.

But hey, between renovations/construction costs/tourism/etc, I'm sure other people will be making money as well.

Quote:
The tourism created from the olympics would bring a huge influx into canada which is great for our economy for many years following the games.

Calgary and Canada already spends millions and millions of dollars to attract tourism. Do you think we should spend 5-7B more for this?
It's not $5B, it's $3B, Big difference. Go do some research. 2.2B is from the IOC & tickets.

Quote:
Care to share the huge influx details in terms of actual dollars? I hear this all the time but never see any documented data. Remember it has to be incremental tourism dollars over and above what would be coming already
Then why'd you ask? Tourism Numbers (just like any stat) are a farce. Define Tourist?

I can tell you I personally know ALOT of people who made big money from Canada's 150th due to tourism last year (upwards of 4x previous years). And it didn't take a genius to figure it out as BANFF (and the park) was insanely busy last year, yes, moreso than usual.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
MY Revenue Plan? open a pot shop as close to the village as possible = profit.
$3B from pot? brilliant. How much have you been smoking?

[/QUOTE]But hey, between renovations/construction costs/tourism/etc, I'm sure other people will be making money as well.[/QUOTE]

Numbers? Data? you said you were sure.

[/QUOTE]
It's not $5B, it's $3B, Big difference. Go do some research. 2.2B is from the IOC & tickets.
[/QUOTE]
Well, when they spend $7.2B it's $5B or do you believe their estimates? Oh yes the pot, I understand

[/QUOTE]Then why'd you ask? Tourism Numbers (just like any stat) are a farce. Define Tourist?[/QUOTE]

Oh, then we're supposed to just believe it because you said so. Oh the pot again.

[/QUOTE]I can tell you I personally know ALOT of people who made big money from Canada's 150th due to tourism last year (upwards of 4x previous years). And it didn't take a genius to figure it out as BANFF (and the park) was insanely busy last year, yes, moreso than usual.[/QUOTE]

Numbers? Data? Define big money please. Don't let the facts get in the way of you wanting to see the Olympics in town.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Bring it on, I figure my house ( 3 minute walk to nordic trails) should probably rent out for at least $25,000.00 for the month. That would pay for a nice mid winter holiday.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
$3B from pot? brilliant. How much have you been smoking?
Yep.. I knew that'd go over your head.. you asked for MY revenue plan, not what I would do for "my country's revenue plan". Since you're cherrypicking words.

Quote:
Numbers? Data? Define big money please. Don't let the facts get in the way of you wanting to see the Olympics in town.
(Two can play at this game.) Show me facts that tourism hasn't increased because of the olympics? Specifically 1988.

crickets...
Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Bring it on, I figure my house ( 3 minute walk to nordic trails) should probably rent out for at least $25,000.00 for the month. That would pay for a nice mid winter holiday.
Yup, I'd love to be saddled with higher municipal taxes for years to come in Calgary so you could rent out your place in Canmore. Perhaps you could give me a free 2 weeks every year until the civic debit is paid?

Too bad you don't get a vote in the plebiscite. Although I'm sure it'll have a predetermined outcome anyway.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep.. I knew that'd go over your head.. you asked for MY revenue plan, not what I would do for "my country's revenue plan". Since you're cherrypicking words..
If you think $3B can be raised from selling incremental pot volumes, you must have worked out the numbers. You said it could be done, show us the data.

[/QUOTE](Two can play at this game.) Show me facts that tourism hasn't increased because of the olympics? Specifically 1988.

crickets...[/QUOTE]

Sweet, that's like saying prove to me that Sasquatch doesn't exist. I don't have to show you anything because I'm not trying to sell something, you are.
By the way, it's not a game, it's real money and real debt. Get serious

Trying to have a fact based conversation with some people is like barking up a dead dog's arse.

Data? Numbers? Crickets? Yup, just crickets.....

Last edited by YYC338; 09-13-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
If you think $3B can be raised from selling incremental pot volumes, you've got to be smoking something.
lol.. Like I said over your head

Quote:
Trying to have a fact based conversation with some people who can't comprehend what they are reading is like barking up a dead dog's arse.
fixed it for you.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
lol.. Like I said over your head

fixed it for you.
Numbers?, Data? Didn't think so. Just keep trying to deflect from the facts, it only makes my points stronger.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:43 AM

About those budget numbers:
https://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/2...ost/index.html

Athens - 60% over budget
Montreal - $1.5b debt, last payment in 2006
Nagano - 56% over budget
Lake Placid - 320% over budget
Albertville - 135% over budget

Quote:
According to the Oxford study, running over budget is just part of the Olympic experience.

"The Games overrun with 100% consistency. No other type of mega-project is this consistent regarding cost overrun," the Oxford researchers wrote. "Other project types are typically on budget from time to time, but not the Olympics."
Most recent example:
https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/24/new...ebt/index.html

Quote:
Kim estimates it could push the Gangwon government into the red by around $9 million every year. It may also have to cough up as much as $90 million for the environmental clean up after the Games are over, he added.
Makes me wonder if all this is thought of in the budget numbers we get presented. If not, I think it will hit Calgary hard. Low oil price, no change in sight, could end up in something the city regrets in the end and that the next generation(s) will pay for when money is missing for other projects.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:31 PM

I am not in favour of going into to debt in order to support the vain need of a few politicians to party.

I would rather the city, province and feds spend time addressing issues like pipelines and not spending money as debt with no way to recoup the money. At least with a new arena and/or stadium existing teams can stay.

Updating an old computer to a barely functioning computer is s waste of money
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Updating an old computer to a barely functioning computer is s waste of money
Great analogy.

Gambits like the Olympics are not ideas we can afford to entertain at the moment, IMO. Lots of people are moving here, but we don't have enough work for them... I have the impression that we are in for a shock here soon.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Olympic bid

Really, how do these guys (ie: politicians) that have the final say on this not perform their due diligence????

The Olympics are one of the biggest scams that are perpetuated on taxpayers. There is so much evidence available out there that proves unequivocally that hosting the Olympics is bad business.

https://ethicalnag.org/2010/02/14/olympics/

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/m...y-pay-off.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...heck-1.4819731

https://www.aeaweb.org/research/are-...h-it-host-city
Old 09-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yup, I'd love to be saddled with higher municipal taxes for years to come in Calgary so you could rent out your place in Canmore. Perhaps you could give me a free 2 weeks every year until the civic debit is paid?

Too bad you don't get a vote in the plebiscite. Although I'm sure it'll have a predetermined outcome anyway.
I personally do not want the olympics as this town is a s#it show pretty much all the time what with all the tourists and my taxes are already through the roof.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
If having a pretty hockey arena is the main criteria for being a “wild class” city then I’m just fine without that “accolade” thank you very much.

Fair enough, 5.8B for an outhouse and a 6000 seat arena, what a deal. This city cant even run a popsicle stand, let alone the Olympics. Nenshi barely won the election to no name Bill, and the first priority for him was Olympics, really.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM

The 1988 Olympics showed a bit of a profit, it appears. It also looks like winter olympics do substantially better than summer olympics.

I still think that if existing infrastructure only needs to be revamped/renovated, rather than built from the ground up, it'd end up being a net positive for Calgary and the province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games
Old 09-14-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Where does the Olympic money even go?

Who actually benefits from it?
Goes to the I.O.C

Also the ONLY beneficiary.

Don't hold me to this but I read the I.O.C keeps the top 80% of all revenue and what's left goes back to the host city.

They are going to have to put themselves on a greed diet if they are to continue, city's just arnt lining up to host like they used to, just a guess but the cost is why.

I would LOVE to see it happen, I'm a HUGE winter Oly guy but the cost is beyond absurd, especially in our financial climate.

Keep in mind winter Olympic's are only 16 days.

BILLIONS of tax payers dollars for a 16 day event

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/eco...-olympic-games
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Might get a new barn.....then iggy can come out of retirement

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM

The people who cast the votes don't decide an outcome, the people who count the votes do.....

I just don't trust any of the people who have an interest in bringing the Olympic games to Calgary, including the IOC...... The taxpayer has been burned too many times....
IMHO....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 PM

This is what I meant with transparency of risks and costs.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is calling for a full investigation by the city’s integrity commissioner after municipal documents were leaked detailing the risk of Olympics-related cost overruns in the construction of an athletes’ village.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...olympic-report

I find it hard to support a bid where the costs and risks are kept from the people ultimately paying for it, the whole competitive bid excuse I don't buy.
It'll just be a financial Pandora's Box and the hangover not worth the party.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
This is what I meant with transparency of risks and costs.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is calling for a full investigation by the city’s integrity commissioner after municipal documents were leaked detailing the risk of Olympics-related cost overruns in the construction of an athletes’ village.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...olympic-report

I find it hard to support a bid where the costs and risks are kept from the people ultimately paying for it, the whole competitive bid excuse I don't buy.
It'll just be a financial Pandora's Box and the hangover not worth the party.
That sounds like Mayor Nancy Spendshe alright. Asking for a full investigation of anyone or any department that leaks information contrary to his spin.

When will Calgarians wake up and see through this charlatan?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

This is being dubbed the "Olympics that no one wants", because no one wants them, the word is out...the IOC has lost the last shred of credibility that they once had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RF8YMzdH9vM
Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
This is being dubbed the "Olympics that no one wants", because no one wants them, the word is out...the IOC has lost the last shred of credibility that they once had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RF8YMzdH9vM
==========================================

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-to-2026-games

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM

From inside sources, the city municipal staff is trucking along as if it's happening. The media and the politicians will just do their thing.....
Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Has anyone seen any studies on what the return for this would be?
I see a lot of complaints about the cost, but is there any projections on returns

Things like construction jobs.

Technicians for the installs of all the facilities. (they bring in"experts" from out of the market but hire a lot of local labor that gain a ton of experience)

Full hotels, air bnb's etc...not just for during the games but long before for people working on the install and set up.

Events like this are a massive shot in the arm to the tech and production service companies as well.

Not to mention security firms, transportation, catering, and restaurants.
Rental of small white tents, portable heaters, lighting, and power.

Don't get me wrong, we need that pipeline built and a few more like it, but there are other industries that could use a shot in the arm as well.

If we do push for this bid we should also push our governments to ensure that local companies get the contracts to do a lot the things like:

-clothing that all the volunteers etc wear (places like Stormfront promotions etc)
-print all the accreditation and signage
-supply wiring, cable, other materials for the installs
-scaffolding for temporary seating, rigging for video screens and sound equipment...local contractors and workers.
-buses, the charters for taking people to and from venues
- suppliers for printers, photocopiers, wifi infrastructure, communications radios, porta potties

If that is done, will that help the numbers make sense?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
2x... just imagine what a boost to the local economy this would be.
So would just forgoing the Olympic party and spending the money on valuable infrastructure projects anyways. I'd rather see a new hospital or some schools built over building an Olympic village. I could care less if a new multi-million dollar jumping facility brings in a few more Olympic level athlete's each year after the games are done. Nor do I really care if kids take up ski jumping because of the new facility. Nor do I think those kids will be permanently scarred by not having that opportunity.

Guaranteed this will come with an new all expenses paid arena for the Flames. Obviously they can't admit to that until they have the city fully committed to the games. Certainly not before the "non-binding" vote. Then it'll be "oops we've looked into it further and it turns out it'll be cheaper to build a new arena than renovate the dome...*snicker*"

No doubt this is going to happen regardless and its going to be a financial flop just like all the other big events recently. If the games were to be hosted at all it should be done as a country or maybe as a province and not by one city. Its just too much burden and unnecessary.

Final thought. Perhaps the gov't pension funds should be used to fund this great investment...
Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Real World problems in Calgary, they can't afford to fix and they want to go out on a long skinny branch and stage the Olympics ? Couple of countries have already decided against and Calgary is one of the hold outs. That and the corruption and scandal, surrounding the Olympics, NO way. People pushing this are living in the past.

Grizz
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM

I remember the reading about the CalgaryNEXT proposal and thinking "this is the most ridiculous plan I've ever seen"

Nenshi: "Hold my beer"
Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 PM

IF the Olympics are such a great revenue source WHY is Nenshe and his merry band of city counselors so afraid to share the good news with Albertian's ??
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.