Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Hip replacement

Any one under go this surgery how was recovery time and how does it feel after thanx for any info
Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM

My wife did, in January , compared to the pain before surgery the recovery was not that bad, but not trivial they do give you high end pain killers for a reason. if you can there is a new procedure that greatly reduces recovery time, but last I heard there was only one doc in Calgary doing the new procedure, so wait time is an issue.

Compared to last year she has her life back.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:02 PM

Default not me but my wife 2 years ago

What you would expect for pain immediately after and the head nurse gave her chit for trying to go longer than recommended without pain meds. After about 2 weeks she felt quite a bit better as pain had subsided for the most part. After about a month she was starting to think it was worthwhile and after 2-3 she was feeling normal and relieved from the constant bone on bone pain she endured prior to surgery. They give you many exercises to do prior to surgery to build up muscles and muscle memory which she did faithfully. Her friend had surgery a month before my wife and did not do much in the way of presurgery exercise and kind of slacked off on the post surgery rehab as well. She never did regain full range of motion with her hip and was a good 6 months before she noticed change for the better. After 3 months you could not believe they had both undergone the same surgery on the same hip and were within 6 months of age of each other. Follow the pre and post surgery instructions they see many people and know better than candidates what is good and what is to be avoided. My wife is much better now and has full range of motion without any pain. She was pretty much limping and hobbling prior to surgery.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Any one under go this surgery how was recovery time and how does it feel after thanx for any info
I watched a show on Netflix last night called The Bleeding Edge. It contained an interesting segment about a Doctor from Alaska who had a hip replacement that contained Cobalt as the metal for the hip implant and what it did to him neurologically.

You may want to check out this too:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5259873/
Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM

PM sent
Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 PM

A friend of mine had it done at 47.
If you can believe it, and I was shocked when I heard this, his Dad kicked him in the ass when he was a kid. He never went to a Chiropractor, his hip was out for over 30 years. It just wore out.
He had no real complications, healed nice.

I have been to a farm house several times on first responder calls for a Farmwife that had it done. If she moves wrong in bed while sleeping it pops out, and she is in absolute agony until they re-set it at the hospital. This is after a 45 minute very bumpy ambulance ride too.

It can go either way, just be aware of this.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM

A co-worker just had both his hips done 6 months apart at 55. He did his physio and is back at it doing everything he did before.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM

I am currently 2 months post hip replacement recovery. I had a spinal and sedative. I reacted to the sedative so I was awake for the whole surgical procedure. First day after is brutal and I was kinda in shock / stressed out from the sounds and banging,,, but pain gets double better each day. I used a walker day 1, day 2 used crutches up until two weeks. After two weeks (back to work in my home office) I was also able to walk around the house with a cane and and the rehab walks I took the crutches. I am not superman and attribute my speedy recovery to doing the pre exercises and going for four 45minute to 1hour bike rides per week. Post surgery do the excercises they give you - my wife spotted me on a couple I couldn't do on my own for the first week. Hip joint is pain free - I just feel the incision site now. If you need it,,,, do it and stay ahead of the pain with the meds prescribed (take 30-45 minutes before you exercise). You get 7 physio sessions free via AB govt to work out any kinks and tight spots. I am So glad I did this - I can actually walk now pain free
Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM

My youngest brother had a double hip replacement a couple of years ago. He had a new procedure done where they go through the inside of your thighs where there is less muscle tissue instead of the outside through the thigh muscles. He was kicked out of bed that night and 3 days later he was sent home. He was told 6-8 months before he'd be able to go back to work . . . he was back at about 41/2 months. He had this procedure done in Calgary.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:18 PM

I had mine done 2 1/2 years ago at 43. Has been awesome . Well maybe not as awesome as not having to get it done at all . I’ve been skiing and coaching my kids novice team . They are getting better about not making people wait as long as they used to , why be in pain?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Yes why be in pain I’m only 48 but a bigger guy and up and down ladders for work for the last 30years guess it just worn out
Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 PM

Yep ladders for me too , always think before jumping down the last two steps. I’ve heard stories of a guy splitting his femur that way . I’m always careful now. Before I had mine done I really noticed that my balance was way off from core muscles getting weaker.
One thing I could say is DO the exercises it will really help to get back to normal.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Still waiting to see a surgeon to talk about it who. knows how long that will take just to get in and see one
Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Still waiting to see a surgeon to talk about it who. knows how long that will take just to get in and see one
7 months from family doc referral to seeing surgeon. Now 6 months to surgery. So about a year in total for me
Old 10-10-2018, 09:07 PM

From my dr referring me to surgeon to surgery was about 8 months give or take.