Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Compass recommendation please

Hate to admit this , so please don't rag on me. I have no idea how to use a compass. I always had a GPS or counted on others. I want to buy a good quality dependable compass that will last me a long time. Then I will take an orienteering course to learn how to use it properly.
What are you guys using?
What should I get?
Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM

Suunto MC-2 type is what I’ve used for over 20 years. Works....like a compass. Points to magnetic north, has adjustment screw, basic clinometer and the mirror that makes orientating easier. Spendy but like I said I’ve had mine for 20 years and still working great.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Silva Compass Ranger or SUUNTO MC-2 are the standard examples of what you need in a compass. Buy a quality Silva or Suunto and you will have it for life. They're $50-$70.

Make sure the compass is a mirror compass (if you are going to do anything other than basic map work,) is graduated in degrees (and not mils, for example) and has adjustable declination.

Good luck!
(also, if you want to get started in orienteering, your GPS probably has, and your smart phone certainly has, a compass that can help you learn the basics.)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys. Should I be concerned about the Silva product being made in China?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM

I will second the Suunto as mentioned above. Don't fret about not knowing how to use it, I'm still pretty green when it comes to GPS. My excuse has always been that the batteries in my compass have never died.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 PM

I have a Suunto MB-6 with drop down mirror and adjustable declination. It's a compact unit easy to wear around my neck I paid around $100

https://www.suunto.com/en-ca/Product...o-MB-6-Global/
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM

Bought my Silva in the late 90’s. Still works great. Though it’s rarely used these days, it was all I used for a good 10 years. I still carry it with me every time I’m out.
I joined search and rescue and it was the brand all the guys recommended back then. They weren’t wrong so far.
Good on you for getting into it. A great skill to have that may save your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
A great skill to have that may save your life.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good advice

Using a compass and maps is becoming a lost art everybody uses electronics these days. Just learning the basics could get you out of a jam.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Not trying to derail the the tread but I've got a compass that has 400 degrees on it, not a standard 360. Anyone know how to use it?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 PM

I don't go into the bush without my silva ranger. Its always around my neck.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcat78 View Post
Not trying to derail the the tread but I've got a compass that has 400 degrees on it, not a standard 360. Anyone know how to use it?

I think it could for allowing for magnetic declination although 40 deg's is a lot just a guess

or after a quick google
That is based on grads vs. degrees - which some of us may recall from our trig classes. A metric version of angle measurement. Would work just as well as any other compass except if bearings needed to be verbally communicated

That is the common Swedish standard - it´s been a long time since we´ve ever needed to communicate bearings in numbers. This may have been common in beginner´s courses in the sixties, but has no use today.
And as mentioned above, of course it works just as well as any other compass (provided it´s made for the Northern Hemisphere - or whereever you´re supposed to use it).
Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good advice

Using a compass and maps is becoming a lost art everybody uses electronics these days. Just learning the basics could get you out of a jam.
I think I was one of the last basic training classes in the army that taught compass and orienteering. All the cherries after me got mainly gps training. I’m rusty but sure enjoyed land nav courses and using your own pace count to get where I needed to be. It also taught me to double check headings as we let one guy do the math for us and ended up the next mountain over....
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM

Here's link to declination calculator.
http://www.geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/calc/mdcal-en.php

I only bother checking it once a year.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 PM

Had a Silva Ranger since my college days in the 70's.

Still carry it with me, along with a new GPS I am learning to use.

Mr Conservation
Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 AM
Banned

Make sure you have some good geographic/topo maps that show lats/longs degrees, to use with your compass once you do pick one.

'Using the compass in interaction with a map' is about 2/3s down this page...
https://www.dukeofed.org/_uploads/sk...%20Compass.pdf

Last edited by drhu22; 10-18-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgriz View Post
Here's link to declination calculator.
http://www.geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/calc/mdcal-en.php

I only bother checking it once a year.
Good link that also has info on how to use a compass properly, read part way down and click on link.

Quote:
This calculator may be used to calculate the magnetic declination for a specified location and date based on the International Geomagnetic Reference Field model.

Learn how to use the magnetic declination with a compass.http://www.geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/mag_fl...en.php#compass

Other components of the magnetic field may be calculated using the magnetic field calculator.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 AM

I would avoid the Silva Ranger unless you find an old one that still points true. Now that they are made in China the quality is not what they used to be.

If you PM your email address I have a bunch of free PDF's on compass use and navigation I can send you. For some reason I cant upload them directly.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

It's good enough for every military in the world https://www.amazon.ca/Cammenga-Phosp...nsatic+compass
And IMO you'll find no better manual on learning to use a compass than https://www.amazon.ca/Militaria-Read...keywords=fm-23
Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM

I'll just upload it here since it still isn't working. Disclaimer: to my knowledge all the files contained in the zip file are publicly available for distribution and do not violate and copy right agreements.

https://ufile.io/9hrkr 30 mb. File valid until Nov. 18, 2018

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 AM

I also have a Silva that's about 20 years old took a course in Edmonton when GPS is first came out, to learn how to use a compass and GPS together on a paper map one of the best courses I ever took never go anywhere without my compass.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 PM

Got a Suunto A-30. Now the fun begins!
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcat78 View Post
Is it has 6400 on it, it is graduated in Mils instead of degrees. I've never heard of a 400 degree compass, it would be hard to use with any map.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM

My first paying job was as a compassman, cruising timber for the Alberta Forest Service in 1964 (for $240/mo.) using a well worn Silva Ranger and dragging a 2 1/2 chain tape. I've never been without one since. With a bit of practice and a decent map, you can learn to navigate with astonishing precision. Yes, find the correct declination on the internet, set your compass carefully, and treat it like the precision instrument it is. You will get great satisfaction in ending up exactly where you want to be by doing it "old school".