Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 AM

Default A little humor for drivers especially those in Calgary

Never seen this on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ass.jpg (16.1 KB, 1200 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Deerfoot southbound to glenmore west bound.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:26 AM

I watch my mirrors when I'm in those situations and very often I see someone pull out of the line farther back and do this. I never, ever let them in but there's always some "nice" sucker that does.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

The only time “last minute cutting” is appropriate is when there is a lot of traffic. Get in to whichever lane you want and alternate at the front of the line. The other people that are trying to be nice by letting someone in just make the situation worse.

But idiots like this always get forced to find another way in or another route. This picture just screams of today’s catch phrase: entitlement.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Try driving a semi or a heavy truck and see how many times a day that happens. They come flying cut you off and slam on the brakes.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
there's always some "nice" sucker that does.
Agreed. Can't stand those people.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Try driving a semi or a heavy truck and see how many times a day that happens. They come flying cut you off and slam on the brakes.
There is a solution to that, see below. Make sure you have a dash camera running to prove that it was a suicide.

As for the OP: that isn't a Calgary road. If it was a Calgary road, there would be twice as many vehicles in the straight through lane as the turning lane, all trying to cut in and turn right in the last 50' of roadway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full size Silverado.jpg (32.8 KB, 887 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM

The classic crowchild southbound to glenmore eastbound manoeuvre. I wonder if people wouldn’t sit in the right hand lane from 17th and leave the other 2 lanes totally empty if traffic would flow better. There’s a lot of bad intersections design in Calgary left over from the days we were a small city and never got upgraded for the current population and traffic load.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Looks like me every time I visit Calgary. I can never be in the right freaking lane. Bless you nice people that let me in.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Looks like me every time I visit Calgary. I can never be in the right freaking lane. Bless you nice people that let me in.
I sometimes find myself in the wrong lane when in Calgary, so a big thank you to those that let me in too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Banned

One day at a time and that goes both ways.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This is how I console myself when I let people in. I have been that guy when I visit other cities. Mind you, I don't always let people in, you can tell when one is aggressively racing to the front to be a jerk versus the one who has that pensive look where they're appreciative of being let in.

I don't always let people in, but I will allow them in far more often when I'm driving a vehicle with corporate signage. Even then people can still earn a shutout if they're driving obnoxiously enough. That's among the joys of not driving a wee vehicle, people mess with you even less if its large, old and somewhat beat up because they'll be more fearful of damage than you would be. It will be a mixed blessing when I get my new vehicle very soon, it will be larger and taller for far as "biggest wins" goes, but it will be brand new so far as the "you don't want that scratched, do you?" aspect.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:08 PM

That picture is all too common a scene.
And it's just pure stupidity.
People see an obstruction, and immediately get out of that lane miles in advance.
Now that all that traffic is in one lane, it backs up traffic forever.
And then people get all bent out of shape when someone "cuts in".
Everyone should stay in both lanes, and alternate up at the front where things have to merge.
But people won't.
They'd rather sit in a single lane for an hour so that they can look down their noses at the people in the other lane who didn't have the genius and foresight to move out of the obstructed lane back when they had the chance two timezones ago.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
People see an obstruction, and immediately get out of that lane miles in advance.
Everyone should stay in both lanes, and alternate up at the front where things have to merge.
But people won't.
They'd rather sit in a single lane for an hour so that they can look down their noses at the people in the other lane who didn't have the genius and foresight to move out of the obstructed lane back when they had the chance two timezones ago.
This is absolutely true for zipper merging when a lane is ending. But when it is a lane dedicated for traveling straight (in this case the left lane) and the right is only for turning, it is a problem because now you potentially stop traffic heading in the intended direction.

So you become and ***** hole for the guys going straight.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Ugh, I know. Hate that and I will not let people in who do this, but I don't get ugly or bent out of shape about it either, it's just not worth my time.

I also agree with the alternating in cases where it's not a turn-only lane being used to cut in front. Just fill both lanes and alternate.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Agreed. Can't stand those people.
Some of us call that courtesy. Complex roads, poorly marked, unfamiliarity, shouldn't be an excuse for the other guy to be a jerk. Just had one of these in Red Deer a couple of days ago. Good thing, I was willing to push the point.

Grizz
Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Go and drive in the lower mainland of BC between Vancouver and Langley. Stupidity knows no bounds. I don't know how people live there willingly.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 AM

Calgary has to have the worst road signage in North America and that picture is a perfect example of what to expect in that city
There is little/no advance warning of upcoming intersections and by the time you know which is the dedicated turn lane, or its the road you want to get onto, its too late, then your the azzhole who is trying to butt in.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
But people won't.
Would you do this at the grocery store? Run to the front of the line and try to push your way in?
There is one common exit. If you merge in early or late, only a certain amount of vehicles can turn at a time. Zipper merging isn't going to hurry it any faster as the turn is the bottleneck.
I agree with the term, entitlement. The only reason people in long line are there longer is that some feel entitled to go in front of them.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Calgary has to have the worst road signage in North America and that picture is a perfect example of what to expect in that city
There is little/no advance warning of upcoming intersections and by the time you know which is the dedicated turn lane, or its the road you want to get onto, its too late, then your the azzhole who is trying to butt in.
Being originally from the country I feel for the people that truly missed the sign. Normally those are the people who give a nice wave though to say thanks!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Being originally from the country I feel for the people that truly missed the sign. Normally those are the people who give a nice wave though to say thanks!
I feel for the folks that are from out of town and truly didn't know what was coming. It really is pretty easy to spot them. Most of the vehicles racing to the front of the line are regulars and they know exactly what they are doing. They are in the zipper ( I call it the f%$&#r ) lane. After living here and watching for awhile it's actually pretty easy to spot the difference. Happens all over the place. I was in a line up at a self checkout at Safeway one day. There are 4 checkouts and a line up of 7 or 8 waiting for any one of them. Problem is the line up went down one of the aisles. I was about second in line and could see around the end of the aisle. Some jerk wandered up and stands waiting for a checkout out of sight of most of the people in line. I asked in a rather loud voice ( I wanted people to hear me ), excuse me sir, are you waiting for the checkout? He says, yes I am. Again in a loud voice, I said well, there is already a line up here and some people may not think it fair that you're going ahead of them. He poked his head around the end of the aisle scowled, dropped his basket on the floor and left. He knew exactly what he was doing and if I hadn't said anything he probably would have gotten away with it. Entitlement!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM

I drive all day, every day in the city. I let everyone in that shows a signal and leave room between myself and the vehicle in front of me to allow people in. I get to my destinations every bit as fast as those that race up to block a merging vehicle and feel relaxed when driving.

The appreciative waves I get from those that find themselves stranded in the wrong lane makes me feel good and more often then not the person that was on my bumper just moments ago is now smiling and waving in another appreciative driver. Traffic flows smoothly and no one is the worse for wear.

With the construction/lane closures we experience over the summer months and people's tendency to be human, a little courtesy would go a long way in making the world a better place to be.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I drive all day, every day in the city. I let everyone in that shows a signal and leave room between myself and the vehicle in front of me to allow people in. I get to my destinations every bit as fast as those that race up to block a merging vehicle and feel relaxed when driving.

The appreciative waves I get from those that find themselves stranded in the wrong lane makes me feel good and more often then not the person that was on my bumper just moments ago is now smiling and waving in another appreciative driver. Traffic flows smoothly and no one is the worse for wear.

With the construction/lane closures we experience over the summer months and people's tendency to be human, a little courtesy would go a long way in making the world a better place to be.
If you live in Sylvan, I'm guessing the city you refer to is Red Deer. Try a couple weeks in Calgary.....
Old 06-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Definitely not in Calgary.

The diagram in post 1 is also not from Calgary. A diagram that shows the Calgary situation would have two more lanes of traffic with cars exiting from the far left lane into the right turn lane.

Depending on time of day ..........
Eastbound Southland exiting to southbound Deerfoot is a real gem.
Eastbuond Glenmore exiting to southbound Deerfoot may be even 'better'.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Southbound Deerfoot to Memorial always involves a few who come from the left lane all the way across to the right lane, at the south end of the area, and a few who come from the southbound 16th ave exit who have to get to the far left lane somewhere in there, and a few who have to damned near stop in the right lane to get in at the last minute, on to the exit lane to Memorial. Same scenario at Blackfoot Tr, then again at Glenmore, without the merge traffic from a southbound exit. And the inexplicable traffic pulses in the Glenmore exit lane. Some days it is fairly sane, others you swear it was "let's just cut someone off and not bother signalling day". Many who have no clue how to enter the stream out of a merge lane, some who think they have right of way and don't bother looking, or don't look til the very last second. How there are not more accidents than there are, always amazes me.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
There is a solution to that, see below. Make sure you have a dash camera running to prove that it was a suicide.
I'm guessing his airbag didn't help much

I'm waiting for the GM haters to use this picture as evidence of how poorly made Silverados are

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Update for today....

Thought of this thread today after my adventures this morning....

Had one of ‘those’ drivers that felt like they were more important than everyone else and forced their way in the front of a half mile long line of waiting traffic.

Then, she could have easily changed lanes and got in behind me but that wasn’t quick enough. Cut off the car in front of me (sort of) and then as you can see, she is in the left turn lane (left signal light on) and then subsequently pulls into my lane and I very nearly crunch her.

I lock up the tires and just slid, horn blaring. Thankfully the truck on my right didn’t overreact otherwise it would have been a three car pileup instead of a VERY narrow miss.

I think I need to upgrade to a 1080p camera from the 720, because I couldn’t quite get a license plate to go to the police with…. I have good tires and good weight in the back of the truck, but it was like fresh Zamboni ice on the way in today at that intersection…..

Link here for video....

https://youtu.be/ecOhJwWhpLc

Last edited by Albertadiver; 10-09-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Thought of this thread today after my adventures this morning....

Had one of ‘those’ drivers that felt like they were more important than everyone else and forced their way in the front of a half mile long line of waiting traffic.

Then, she could have easily changed lanes and got in behind me but that wasn’t quick enough. Cut off the car in front of me (sort of) and then as you can see, she is in the left turn lane (left signal light on) and then subsequently pulls into my lane and I very nearly crunch her.

I lock up the tires and just slid, horn blaring. Thankfully the truck on my right didn’t overreact otherwise it would have been a three car pileup instead of a VERY narrow miss.

I think I need to upgrade to a 1080p camera from the 720, because I couldn’t quite get a license plate to go to the police with…. I have good tires and good weight in the back of the truck, but it was like fresh Zamboni ice on the way in today at that intersection…..

Link here for video....

https://youtu.be/ecOhJwWhpLc
That's a lot o crappy driving right there. Too bad there's no audio.... there may have been some choice words in there

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Albertadiver, you obviously left too much room between vehicles Here in Calgary it's anything you can do to get in front, hence, run up the lane that comes to an end knowing full well it ends, someone lets em in. Slow all down except for them. The same ones do it all the time and at the same spots. When they give you the hand wave it's for thanks sucker or they have a new driver sign on their back window to say OH excuse me for my stupid driving. Guess what??? It works for them. SUCKER. See it all day long and suffer cause I'm suppose to be a professional driver. Crunch em I say.
After they get they're licence who ever they may be they make up their own rules. STOP???? does not pertain to me on a 3 -4 way stop or right turn on red. I can go on and on and on and on. The OP is just a taste of the crap that happens. Stories by the bookfull to tell