Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM

It is not criminal as I lent the goods to him. We had a verbal contract now he has broken that verbal contract by not returning my things. Now I sue him with a lawyer RCMP won’t help until I sue him and he ether doesn’t pay $4000/ return goods or show up to court. Then they will arrest him with the courts permission.
It’s the original sue paperwork that will be costing money not anything to do criminally.

I also wanted to be sure that posting a name picture and info on here was not illegal in any way, And it is not so tonight I will be doing that unless I here from him with a tracking number for my stuff.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Banned

sorry you won't like this............DUMB!

lend him that kind of stuff and don't even know where he lives?? no sympathy here.

then some of you want the police to solve his problem?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
It is not criminal as I lent the goods to him. We had a verbal contract now he has broken that verbal contract by not returning my things. Now I sue him with a lawyer RCMP won’t help until I sue him and he ether doesn’t pay $4000/ return goods or show up to court. Then they will arrest him with the courts permission.
It’s the original sue paperwork that will be costing money not anything to do criminally.

I also wanted to be sure that posting a name picture and info on here was not illegal in any way, And it is not so tonight I will be doing that unless I here from him with a tracking number for my stuff.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
sorry you won't like this............DUMB!

lend him that kind of stuff and don't even know where he lives?? no sympathy here.

then some of you want the police to solve his problem?
I think he knew where he lived when he lent him the stuff but he's moved a couple times since.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-13-2018, 01:07 PM

the initial lending of the property in itself is not the act of theft. Once you requested it back you removed his colour of right to said property. You claim he has moved addresses, this could be considered " he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable" under 322 (2) because you no longer had knowledge of the location of your property.

Quote:
Theft

322 (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently and without colour of right takes, or fraudulently and without colour of right converts to his use or to the use of another person, anything, whether animate or inanimate, with intent

(a) to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the thing or of his property or interest in it;

(b) to pledge it or deposit it as security;

(c) to part with it under a condition with respect to its return that the person who parts with it may be unable to perform; or

(d) to deal with it in such a manner that it cannot be restored in the condition in which it was at the time it was taken or converted.
Marginal note:Time when theft completed

(2) A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable.
To me it sounds like the RCMP are giving you the run around because they are not interested. My experiences with them showed many are unaware of the laws until you can prove said law exists. Sad state of affairs but unfortunately happens quite often.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Call his parents and let them know you will be pressing charges unless the goods are returned within 24 hours. Sometimes you may be able to get your things back by letting them know the consequences of their actions.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM

I lent him the gear knowing his home address. Since November he has moved twice leaving me with no idea other than Medicine Hat. I called his parents and at first it sounded promising but it seemed after they talked to him they are not going to be helpful as his mother went all reality tv show drama on me and hung up when I explained that I will be sueing him soon if nothing is resolved.

It does seem as though knowing the law from the above post that the RCMP ether don’t actually know that they can help me or they just don’t want to until I file the papers to take him to court.

I personally would like to handle this myself but I’m sure knownody wants a shootout at the OK corral or then the police will be Interested and I would be in trouble.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Honestly, I think the easiest way to handle it would be to do it yourself, and probably by ousting the name of the fella. I've seen it a number of times, and a man doesn't want his name drug through the mud.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM

I would PM Ken and see if he has any advice. 😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 PM

Sudden change of events and I am sure it was this sight that my have done it and for that I thank all who have supported me and this adventure as well as Alberta outdoorsmen forum for bringing us honest folks closer together as a outdoors community.

So my buddy’s dad called just now and has said the
Nightforce 3.5-15x50,NF ultralights, adi ring mount and ADI indicator have been sold so I won’t be getting those returned he still has my Leica rangefinder and magnetospeed. That he is supposed to be dropping off at his dads tonight. So we will see what happens.

I will be leaving this post up until I recieve what is owed to me, once it is returned or I am reinburst in full I will take it down.

As for names and pictures I will be holding off for now.

Somebody in Alberta probably Medicine Hat has a very nice scope and accessories, for an unreal deal as I’m sure he sold it for a song to buy something like beer. If you do have it please give it a good home and tell this story of how you got it so everyone learns from my mistake.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Sudden change of events and I am sure it was this sight that my have done it and for that I thank all who have supported me and this adventure as well as Alberta outdoorsmen forum for bringing us honest folks closer together as a outdoors community.

So my buddy’s dad called just now and has said the
Nightforce 3.5-15x50,NF ultralights, adi ring mount and ADI indicator have been sold so I won’t be getting those returned he still has my Leica rangefinder and magnetospeed. That he is supposed to be dropping off at his dads tonight. So we will see what happens.

I will be leaving this post up until I recieve what is owed to me, once it is returned or I am reinburst in full I will take it down.

As for names and pictures I will be holding off for now.

Somebody in Alberta probably Medicine Hat has a very nice scope and accessories, for an unreal deal as I’m sure he sold it for a song to buy something like beer. If you do have it please give it a good home and tell this story of how you got it so everyone learns from my mistake.
That's brutal. As said before, these days "No good deed goes unpunished".
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Shoot.

Shovel.

And shut up.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 PM

Hopefully he pays you some money but first thing I wouldn’t be doing is quit calling him your buddy that’s no friend.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Unfortunately it took you a long time to smell the coffee! and you are paying the price of dealing with a parasite,Perhaps a call to his employer IF he works! doubtful ! You had lots of ideas going through your mind the whole while this was in motion and you didn't act on any of it ! Afraid to hurt and be confrontational .I have been in the same situation myself , and with time you learn ! These scumbags get this way by knowing who they can hit , professional leaches !
Good luck in the future !
Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 PM

Sounds like your friend is a drug addict. Once you get what's left back, I would lean on his dad to get square with you. Maybe posting his name here will shame him into making things right if his dad can't straighten him out.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 AM

Unfortunately you should have clued in right from the start. Somebody broke who needs a gun to get meat for the winter, then starts specifying what rifle scope, rangefinder/binos, chronograph, etc he wants to use!!! Sounds like he was putting an inventory order in. I thought he was broke, but apparently he is going to handload and use a chronograph, work up loads etc??? That's what a thief does.. Someone who is broke wanting to borrow a gun to shoot some meat will thankfully take any gun capable of killing a big game animal, buy a box of shells fire a couple rounds to see if it is sighted in and go shoot his meat and bring your rifle back soon as he is done. They don't place specific orders for specialized equipment, that's what thieves and junkies do.

Anyway I hope you get your stuff back.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM

I say name the person. As long as everything you've said is factual, it seems you have more than enough proof to back it up.

Consider that compensation for the financial loss of what you've lost. A quick google search will alway bring up this thread for future employers etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Make sure when you go for the value of items sold, you are getting the cost of the items BRAND NEW, and don't accept any of that "Depreciated Value" Bullhonkey. This man scammed you, and although I agree with the others saying you should have known better, well, hindsight is always 20/20, and you've now learned a valuable lesson. Just grow from it, and hopefully you can recoup your losses.

J
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Sorry to hear. I am wondering about him selling your goods. There must be laws about selling something you don't own. I would think that the person that bought the items would like to know that he bought someone else's gear.

I'm thinking we need to have an off season AO huntfest in Medicine Hat. The member that brings in the idiot's scalp gets an AO ball cap.

Best wishes in the nightmare.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 AM

You've been robbed! That should have been obvious when he was pestering you for a laundry list of gear! Who needs a chronograph for hunting??? That's something you use when you're working up a new load for your favorite rifle! I have a nephew like this, took him coyote hunting and he couldn't hit the broad side of a dog at 100 yards, so I lent him my bipod, a couple weeks later, he claimed he'd already returned it! So lesson learned. If a friend of mine wants to borrow some gear, I'll lend it, but he's getting only the basics! And only the old stuff that I don't really use anymore, nothing that is worth selling! If that's not good enough, then go borrow from cabelas.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Figured I would post this under hunting as it has to do with an old hunting partner and some hunting gear as well that old partner is a member here but I’m not sure his user name.

So let’s let the story begin. After archery season a buddy / hunting partner of mine calls me up and he is a talker so on and on he went how busy he has been and how his wife divorced him and how he had to sell all his hunting stuff. Well in the end he wanted me to lend him some hunting stuff as he is broke and needs meat for himself this winter. On the day he called he started asking for a spair rifle with a scope my Swarovski EL range , Swarovski spotter / tripod, Leica rangefinder and my magnetic Speed chronograph. As long as I have known him he has always wanted to use the best gear but when your borrowing things you should apreasiate if somody can help in any way. Well I want to keen on lending him my daughters rifle as it a very nice and pricy setup, that she has never even shot yet, as well he is very hard on gear and most things he uses look like he’ll in a short time. So I told him I could lend my Leica rangefinder and that would work for both ranging and spotting. He presited on that he needed my Binos as well, but he could live without the spotter and tripod. Let me say he phoned and text almost daily until I final agreed to lend him some stuff. So he found a rifle and that made me more at ease because he wouldn’t need my daughters. Although now he needed a scope as well as rangefinder and chronograph. I hade a couple scopes but he insisted it must have 1/4 Moa turrets well the only extra I hade with that was a new in box nightforce 3.5-15x50 nsx moar that just had a new set of NF rings as well as a nightforce ringtop level with sniper design co-sign indicators attached. Well like a idiot I lent him the scope the Leica rangefinder and my magneto speed. He needed it in an urgent matter but wanted me to pay shipping. That wansnt going to happen to I had my lovely neighbours that travel to Medicine Hat all the time hand deliver it to him. So hunting season goes on he shoots an antelope and deer season comes and goes and I hear nothing. I text him in November after season hey man season is over I need my stuff. No answer, few days later says he was busy didn’t get around to getting it packed up. December comes and goes he is still to busy. January comes at this point I am getting quite annoyed but I was traveling past his place and was willing to pick it up. Traveld past to get to sask no answer to my calls, get to sask he calls says if I get around to getting the stuff from storage he will have it for me when I go back. On my way back I call hey I’m three hours away I would like my stuff, no answer later that night he texts sorry I forgot all about it. At this point I am very frustrated I call his parents and Stur things up on that end a bit he answers my call after his dad talked to him. Anoghther hour long bla bla bla call on how busy he is how he is broke how he hasn’t had time. February same story. Now March he has block my calls won’t answer my texts. Call his mom she puts up a wall and makes all the same excuses for him but said she would call him and get back to me. 24 hours later still no reply from his parents I call them back she goes on this huge rant about how she didn’t like my tone on the last call and hangs up on me. Well now I am here today it a few days after that call to his parents with no answer what so ever from anybody. Check his Facebook he has been out at the tigers game in Med hat he has been out driving the new truck he bought. At this point I have no idea what to do there are a few options but what the hell does I guy do? I know he is in here I know guys he hunted with this season are on here. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? I can’t afford to have $4000 of gear disappear.
this whole story sounds like B.S or you were born at nite , more specificly last nite
Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Im in the same spot..No Name No Photo ???Not buying this story completely.
If that happened to myself It would have exposed long ago.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:46 PM

Can I borrow your car? I promise I will bring it back
Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
this whole story sounds like B.S or you were born at nite , more specificly last nite
I was thinking the same if that was done to me I would post his name every where for all to see to make sure he dose not do it again to some one else
Old 03-14-2018, 02:12 PM

Definitely this person should be named. It may save someone else a headache especially if this guy is out there trying to 'sell' your gear on EE and once he receives a payment he takes it and runs.

At least, give out the initials to the guys name. I know before I do any deals on EE I request a picture of their ID so it would be easier to put two and two together.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I was thinking the same if that was done to me I would post his name every where for all to see to make sure he dose not do it again to some one else
The fear of being publicly called out is the only card the OP has to play, once he outs the guy the damage is done and very little incentive exists for this guy to return anything or for the guys Dad to enable and bail out his son.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 PM

Sounds more like a lover giving gifts and now the relationship is over.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 PM

Let's try to keep the insults to a minimum so we can hear how this story ends.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Like my late father used to say.

He would only be willing to loan stuff or money to people that never ask for it.

What a wise man.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
Like my late father used to say.

He would only be willing to loan stuff or money to people that never ask for it.

What a wise man.
To each his own, but I can think of a couple times when ive needed to borrow something that was a once off, (specialty tool. Ect) so its not worth buying, and if you have a friend who already owns it...

I also have no problem lending my stuff, but if someone gives me a laundry list of items that he needs to borrow! And only the most expensive items? That's a red flag, and I'm going to tell him sorry...