Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Default New spot product

This is what I was waiting for hopefully it will be a little cheaper than inreach products

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Key Features of SPOT X:
SPOT X features a Canadian mobile number and ruggedized dust and waterproof rated hardware (IP67).

2-Way Satellite Messaging: Send and receive messages and short emails with family, friends or co-workers beyond cellular.
S.O.S.: Emergency notification and direct 2-way message communication with 24/7 Search and Rescue services through the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center in the event of a life-threatening incident.
GPS Tracking: Waypoints tracked via Google Maps™ at intervals of 2.5, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes.
Check In: Users can let contacts know they are "OK" with the push of a single button.
Post to Social: Link to Facebook and Twitter accounts to share adventures with followers.
Navigation: Built-in compass and programmable waypoints.
Keyboard and Display: Easy to use illuminated 2.7" display and backlit QWERTY keyboard that is usable in any light setting.
Battery Life: Rechargeable Lithium battery averaging a lifespan of 10 days when tracking in 10 minute intervals
Specifications: Length: 16.6 cm / 6.54", Width: 7.4 cm / 2.9", Thickness: 4.4 cm / 1.75", Weight: 198 grams / 7.0 oz.

Pricing and Availability:
SPOT X will be available online and at outdoor retailers in Canada in May 2018 priced at $349.99 CAD with annual service plans starting at $19.99 USD per month. More pricing and coverage details are available at FindMeSPOT.ca/SPOTX.

About Globalstar, Inc.
Globalstar is a leading provider of mobile satellite voice and data services. Customers around the world in industries such as government, emergency management, marine, logging, oil & gas and outdoor recreation rely on Globalstar to conduct business smarter and faster, maintain peace of mind and access emergency personnel. Globalstar data solutions are ideal for various asset and personal tracking, data monitoring, SCADA and IoT applications. The Company's products include mobile and fixed satellite telephones, the innovative Sat-Fi2 satellite hotspot, Simplex and Duplex satellite data modems, tracking devices and flexible service packages. For more information regarding Globalstar Canada Satellite Co., please visit Globalstar's web site at www.globalstar.ca.

I think ill stick with my inreach its worth the extra money for the Iridium network and you can pair it with your phone to have ihunter sat maps with over lay and full function of the inreach with topo maps aswell. I think these guys are a little late to the party. what im really waiting for is the beartooth devices to catch on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Radio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 7.35.57 PM.jpg (30.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Dubious; 05-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Still on a ****ty network.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM

WEEKENDER
MONTHLY SERVICE FEE
$19.99 USD
25 Messages
5, 10, 30, 60 Minute
Unlimited Tracking
25˘ per Additional

ANNUAL SERVICE FEE
$199.99 USD
300 Messages
5, 10, 30, 60 Minute
Unlimited Tracking
25˘ per Additional
ADVENTURER
MONTHLY SERVICE FEE
$29.99 USD
UNLIMITED MESSAGES
2˝, 5, 10, 30 and 60 Minute
Unlimited Tracking
FREE
$19.99 Activation Fee

ANNUAL SERVICE FEE
$299.99 USD
UNLIMITED MESSAGES
2˝, 5, 10, 30 and 60 Minute
Unlimited Tracking
FREE
$19.99 Activation Fee
Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

They need picture messaging in the back country. I wish they would come out with that so I can sext. That would be really useful if I'm gone for more than 24 hours.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
They need picture messaging in the back country. I wish they would come out with that so I can sext. That would be really useful if I'm gone for more than 24 hours.
Are you that guy that takes a camera to Vegas? What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain.
it sure does!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Still on a ****ty network.
Actually the globalstar network is working very well once again with the new satellites online. They did go quite a few years with poor service though.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM

I had no issue with my spot, infact the messages seemed to go thru faster then the inreach i use now just no two way. The dedicated number is intriguing to me.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:49 PM

My spot always works good but I think I will like the option of being able to know exactly when someone's coming or to text

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 PM

I never go out with out the spot but is sure as heck like the new one....
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 PM

i was thinking of upgrading to the inreach mini but now may have to give this a shot.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM

had a Spot but went to Inreach and overall was much happier. I really like that it tells you when the message has sent. But lately it has me wondering because about two months ago I sent three messages one day and then headed home and did not think about it until 2 days later I was sitting at home with the wife and a message comes through and it was the third message I had sent 2 days earlier then a few minutes later the second message I had sent arrived. It was fortunate that I had come home when I did as I can guarantee if I had stayed up there any longer she would have had search and rescue looking for me. About a week ago I sent a message letting her know I was heading down and a few hours later I was sitting watching tv with her when that message arrived and she said oh look your starting down the lake now. I know the 2 hours is not as bad as the 2 days previously but put them together and I now have a total lack of confidence as to wether or not messages are actually going through. Not good,
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
had a Spot but went to Inreach and overall was much happier. I really like that it tells you when the message has sent. But lately it has me wondering because about two months ago I sent three messages one day and then headed home and did not think about it until 2 days later I was sitting at home with the wife and a message comes through and it was the third message I had sent 2 days earlier then a few minutes later the second message I had sent arrived. It was fortunate that I had come home when I did as I can guarantee if I had stayed up there any longer she would have had search and rescue looking for me. About a week ago I sent a message letting her know I was heading down and a few hours later I was sitting watching tv with her when that message arrived and she said oh look your starting down the lake now. I know the 2 hours is not as bad as the 2 days previously but put them together and I now have a total lack of confidence as to wether or not messages are actually going through. Not good,
I've had that once with my in reach as well, I think this is where the spot x dedicated number could be useful. Wife hasn't heard so could send a msg to ensure you reply
Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 AM

Sorry for more derail off topic here but Recently got an inreach but haven’t activated it yet. For the guys who use them can you confirm this for me? when the text gets sent to the recipient(wife’s phone)there is not dedicated number and it will be a random number that it sends from? How would this be two way communication?
How would two inreach units talk to each other, how would it recognize the unit you want to send to?
Thanks guys
Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM

When you register the unit you receive a certain inreach address for inreach to inreach communication. As for when you msg your wife she simply replies to the msg your sent. The number that appears will be the same for that string of msgs but is not one she can add to contacts because it will change
Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Ok thanks for the explanation. Have a great long weekend!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 AM

For $350 I think I'd just spend the extra $100-$200 on a Garmin inReach SE or Explorer?
Myself,another guide,and our Outfitter all bought the Explorers last Sept and pretty impressed with them.No cell service where we hunt moose,previously we always rented a Sat phone for emergencies,but last year we ran 6 hunters out of 2 camps.The original camp site is 30km in via Argo and the new fly-in is 10 miles farther via helicopter.
The 3 of us were able to communicate in real time(maybe a couple minutes delay sometimes?) plus stay in touch with the outside world,and see each other's location on the topo map anytime we messaged each other.
I was due for a new GPS anyhow as the previous year I left mine on the Argo bumper and drove away,found it later in the week crushed into mud and ruined.
Honestly,I used my Explorer more for navigation then communication last fall,marking waypoints,stands,fresh sign,permission properties etc etc as I really only need the communication feature for a few weeks/year for moose and bear seasons,the rest of the year it does everything I need in a GPS,with free topo mapping included in the unit.
I think the SE model is around $450 and iirc we paid around $580 for the Explorers and the upgraded navigation/topo etc,then $70/mth for the unlimited messaging package for 3 weeks in moose camp.You can suspend your account when you don't need it(as I did after moose hunt)and only pay $2/mth to keep it active until you need to activate a messaging package again....or just cancel it but then you need to pay $29 to reactivate it again next year,so the $2/mth is a few bucks cheaper anyway.Theres other messaging packages starting at $20/mth for "pay as you go" and 2 others(?) in between packages up to $70 for unlimited.

If you are going to be carrying a Spot as well as a GPS anyhow,might as well get it all in one unit imho,and you'll probably save a fair bit of money vs buying the 2 units separately,or if you are mountain hunting and looking to save ounces....again,all in one unit.You can also pair the unit to your smartphone which makes texting with it much more convenient then texting with the Explorer itself,it's kinda slow by today's standards kinda like texting with the old flip phones using arrows to choose letters/symbols etc.If I'm not mistaken when paired up to your phone you can also send pics but I've never tried that so can't say for sure,although I know you can post on Twitter,Facebook etc if you want to...again,never tried.
Also,you can disable the location if you don't want people to know where you are texting from,secret honey hole hunting/fishing spots etc,otherwise you will be broadcasting the GPS co-ords along with a topo map view of your favourite deer stand on Facebook for all to see,lol 😱

Last edited by West O'5; 05-18-2018 at 10:05 AM.