Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Those fellows in Texas, are usually hunting on their own land, or on land that they have permission for, and that they know. They also know where the buildings and livestock are, so they don't shoot towards them.
As to it being illegal to hunt at night in Western Canada, read the article, , some people can legally hunt at night when exercising their treaty rights. That applies in multiple provinces, and it is the topic of the article that this thread is about.
That's not the point I'm trying make here,that being that yourself and others have expressed that you are adamantly opposed to any form of night hunting,including predators presumably,based solely on the safety aspect,and Im saying that's rediculous,because night hunting is carried out in a safe and responsible manner in many other jurisdictions around the world,from hog hunting on the bayou,to yotie hunting from truck platforms in Texas,to calling and hunting oyotes over bait on frozen lakes in Maine,to hunting leopards in Africa.
Newsflash for ya,Alberta is NOT the be all to end all gold standard of hunting ethics,protocols and traditions to be adhered to worldwide and everybody else is not a buncha redneck Yahoo's driving around jacking deer and moose just because night hunting is allowed in their state/province/country.
There's no reason on Earth IMHO other then resistance to change and pure ignorance why coyote hunting at night couldn't be adopted in Alberta and carried on in as safe and ethical manner as it is elsewhere in North America where it's allowed and as safe and ethical as any other type of hunting.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
That's not the point I'm trying make here,that being that yourself and others have expressed that you are adamantly opposed to any form of night hunting,including predators presumably,based solely on the safety aspect,and Im saying that's rediculous,because night hunting is carried out in a safe and responsible manner in many other jurisdictions around the world,from hog hunting on the bayou,to yotie hunting from truck platforms in Texas,to calling and hunting oyotes over bait on frozen lakes in Maine,to hunting leopards in Africa.
Newsflash for ya,Alberta is NOT the be all to end all gold standard of hunting ethics,protocols and traditions to be adhered to worldwide and everybody else is not a buncha redneck Yahoo's driving around jacking deer and moose just because night hunting is allowed in their state/province/country.
There's no reason on Earth IMHO other then resistance to change and pure ignorance why coyote hunting at night couldn't be adopted in Alberta and carried on in as safe and ethical manner as it is elsewhere in North America where it's allowed and as safe and ethical as any other type of hunting.
I would have no issue with setting up on private property, knowing the lay of the land, and knowing where all people, animals and buildings are to shoot coyotes in an open field However, that is not what the article is about. The article is about hunting big game at night, and many of the people that are now legally doing that, are driving along in vehicles, spotting game, and then shooting them, with no clue as to what other people, animals, or buildings may be in the line of fine.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would have no issue with setting up on private property, knowing the lay of the land, and knowing where all people, animals and buildings are to shoot coyotes in an open field However, that is not what the article is about. The article is about hunting big game at night, and many of the people that are now legally doing that, are driving along in vehicles, spotting game, and then shooting them, with no clue as to what other people, animals, or buildings may be in the line of fine.
Some do this in the broad daylight. I think where more of a problem might arise is finding the animal after it's been shot. I don't like hunting in the last hr or two of daylight mostly because I hate having to do the gutting and skinning in the dark but I would surely welcome a extra hr or 2 before sunrise.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Some do this in the broad daylight. I think where more of a problem might arise is finding the animal after it's been shot. I don't like hunting in the last hr or two of daylight mostly because I hate having to do the gutting and skinning in the dark but I would surely welcome a extra hr or 2 before sunrise.
At least in broad daylight, you have a much better chance of seeing people, animals or buildings in the vicinity.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Exactly,people do this in the broad daylight.
Again,I am firmly opposed to night hunting big game based only on ethics and not so much(if anything?) to do with safety.
If it were a matter of safety I would be a hypocrite to advocate for naught time predator hunting while at the same time opposing hunting big game.
I'm pretty certain that whenever night hunting was banned in most jurisdictions "back in the day"it had nothing to do with safety as we didn't live in a bubble wrapped society back then,and was more about ethics,conservation,market hunting,and the unfair advantage hunters have over ungulates when hunting at night with a spotlight.
As far as safety goes,one could argue that it may in fact be more safe to hunt at night in many situations because 1)not likely that there is gonna be another hunter in your line of fire or you'd see his flashlight. 2) there are slim to none other forest recreational users out in the woods at night,and again,they would have a light of some sort themselves 3)houses in the background are lit up with lights in windows,and ideally you should know there is a house there to begin with wether you are hunting day or night 4) the spotlights available today are extremely powerful,it's highly unlikely that you are gonna shoot some unseen livestock while taking aim at a coyote,or at the very least,no more likely then if you were shooting at high noon....I could go on and on,point being,safety concerns are the least of my worries.
The most valid argument is that some would use night hunting as an opportunity to poach big game,but poachers are poachers and have an inherent disregard for the law to begin with and there are ways to mitigate this issue as well.
In Maine for instance,coyote hunting is allowed at night only from Jan.1 to Mar.31(?) if I'm not mistaken,regardless night season begins Jan.1,which alleviates any concerns that night hunters might be shooting deer at night say in Nov for instance,and then tagging them in the daylight under the guise of a legal harvest.

Personally,I would absolutely love to have night hunting allowed here in Jan-Feb for yotes,the days are short and winter is "go time" for many Albertans in oil and logging etc,I simply don't have time anymore to do near as much winter coyote hunting as I'd like to.Having the option of being able to hunt 24/7 for a few months of prime time when yotes are hungry,more active at night/more responsive to calling would be welcomed by me with open arms and enthusiasm!🤗
The only "danger" I foresee of allowing winter coyote night hunting is that far too often I would not be well rested and falling asleep behind the wheel of an 88,000kg log truck at high noon!😜😝

Last edited by West O'5; 05-14-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 PM

Default poaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Well at least one province is trying to do something positive

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
hunting at night is simply this... Poaching.....i have always stated... lets make hunting fair for everyone!!!!

get rid of the native status entirely in regards to hunting..

simply not fair for the average hunter who has to pay for his tags and hope he gets drawn for a moose or what ever!!!

enough already....

I hunted salve lake area this past fall and it was gross as to what I saw. deer in the ditch shot at night with only the hind legs taken... feed the dogs?????? are you kidding me!!! by the way I was speaking with a treaty person while up there and he thinks enough is enough as well...

fix this please... all i ask is make it fair.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...ghting0030.gif
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM

I think everyone made their points...closed