Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Louisiana grill is in a league of its own . It can cook at 400 all winter Long . Tragger can't even dream of that.
Louisiana grill has cleaner smoke , tragger smothers its fire and has billowing white dirty smoke.
LG you can just dump out the burn pot , Tragger you have to use a shop Vac. talk about a pain in the A##

LG can reach temp off 600 degrees , good for burning off the grease .
LG sear a steak . Tragger not so Match
LG got the best Digital controller . Tragger click , click , click.
Lg built in programable meat probe . kicks into low when meat reaches desired temp
Canadian company
Just better
Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM

LG Rocks
LG you can just dump the burn pot out . Tragger you need a shop vac every time
LG has cleaner smoke , always has flame . Tragger smothers its fire so a lot more visual smoke but not as clean
LG can cook all winter Long . use it every Christmass. Tragger can't even dream of that one .

I could go on .
Old 03-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Banned

Good thing you put your Gray Goose down and stopped for supper. You might have had a three pete!
Old 03-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Good thing you put your Gray Goose down and stopped for supper. You might have had a three pete!
Lol
Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Lol
go with charcoal I have had pellet and gas Charcoal is quiet and cooks great
Old 03-31-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish2 View Post
go with charcoal I have had pellet and gas Charcoal is quiet and cooks great
No thanks
Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 AM
Banned

I have one of those little Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill that I bought afre rading some reviews here https://www.gurureviewclub.com/best-charcoal-grills/ . We use it 3 or 4 times a week on average. It is the perfect size to cook for my family of 7.
If you really need a grill for convenience, I suggest checking this out!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM

So...where can I buy a Louisiana Grill Country Smoker model locally (Calgary area)? Seems to fit what I want in a grill.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 PM

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...I6420170?Num=0
Old 05-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Default All good info...

Wow, THAT escalated quickly!! I appreciated all the extra input outside of the proposed Traeger vs. LG posts as there's always some bits of info people might be unaware of.
I am in the same boat as the OP and seriously considering going with a pellet grill, LG seems to be the best option in my opinion due to it's ability to reach higher temps. This will certainly be handy in our miserable winters as I've struggled in the past with my electric smoker to maintain certain temps smoking in the winter. Sounds like GMG has an insulated wrap for their grills to help with temps? I'm lucky I know an outfit that builds insulated wraps for above ground pipes that should be able to build me something custom. I'm looking at the CS-570 (from what I understand the "CS" models are built in Canada?)
Any input from the gallery?

Thanks guys, great thread aside from the d!ck measuring going on! Ha ha
Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Is there a Halford's Hides in Calgary?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler3878 View Post
Is there a Halford's Hides in Calgary?
Nope
Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Banned

heard the lg series louisianas may be harder to come by right now...

Something to keep in mind if your getting one soon.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 PM

I ended up buying s cs570. I like the grille a lot just not please with the powder coat finish,My heat is also fluctuating so I might be needing a new board they say,

I will see how there warranty comes through. Will post feedback later.Have has it for just over a month and a half now.

Pin
Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post
I ended up buying s cs570. I like the grille a lot just not please with the powder coat finish,My heat is also fluctuating so I might be needing a new board they say,

I will see how there warranty comes through. Will post feedback later.Have has it for just over a month and a half now.

Pin
If you don't mind me asking, where did you order from and how much was it?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Default Traeger

Have a traeger and love it
I have the tailgater
If you go for the bigger one that means
A lot more area to heat consistently
So not good for smaller meals
Old 07-29-2018, 12:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Just for interest sake... AI have an LG1100 for over a year now and have many big cooks on it doing my own stuff and volunteer for fundraising and charity events etc. I had a big cook for a group of about 30 veterans who are part of a support group for each other. A week before while doing a different event, the control board started acting up and not holding proper temps and would climb and climb. I was able to finish the cook but was worried my smoker would be down for the veterens event.

I called Louisiana Grills and they worked with me over the phone to try reprogramming the control board to no avail. When I told them I had a veterens event I needed to cook for on the weekend, they stepped up and had me a brand new board courriered to me within 2 days and had me back up and running for the event! They never once asked for proof of purchase or anything. Just up and sent it. I have to say with service like that I am super happy I went Louisiana with my pellet smoker!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-30-2018, 01:33 PM

I have a Traeger and loved it, for the first year.
Since that I spent about 9 months trying to get it working again. Replaced every part on it, controller board twice, last thing was heating rod replaced, Worked for a day then it started blowing fuses every time it turns on.

Their support was great, I'd contact them and they'd have a new part out in a couple days. The last time they sent me a bunch of fuses with steps to find out which part is blowing it. I couldn't be bothered as it's just been a pain in the ass. It's been sitting for a year, I'll probably replace it soon with something else.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:17 AM

What can you guys tell me about the Pit Boss 700S? I know its not the best but there is a guy selling a brand new one in box near where Im working for the fall/winter so I figured I would see if it was ok. Can it sear steaks?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 PM

Pitt Boss is basically a tragger copy . a cheaper version built by Dansons. Louisiana grill. Its a price point thing

Your better off buying the LG or Country smoker for a couple hundred more
and then you have something that won't **** you off.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
What can you guys tell me about the Pit Boss 700S? I know its not the best but there is a guy selling a brand new one in box near where Im working for the fall/winter so I figured I would see if it was ok. Can it sear steaks?
Yes it’ll sear steaks. Love mine. Local grocery store has them on sale for $500
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Yes it’ll sear steaks. Love mine. Local grocery store has them on sale for $500
Ya a guy had one brand new in box (box had never been opened) for sale for 400 where Im working till spring. So myself and my buddy split it. Think it will work great for the rest of the fall and winter.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Ya a guy had one brand new in box (box had never been opened) for sale for 400 where Im working till spring. So myself and my buddy split it. Think it will work great for the rest of the fall and winter.
Would suggest buy a meat thermometer that you can read outside the bbq for doing roasts.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM

I am getting a new smoker for christmas and im trying to decide between the pig boss and LG. LG seems to be the all round better smoker.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:22 AM

Now I'm searching for a good grill either. I narrowed the circle to Traeger TFS60LZC and Traeger TFB38TCA. I've found a source with the comparison of those models and I still can't choose the one. I'm not sure if it is worth spend so much money on a huge traeger grill.
Did anyone have any experience with traeger grills and these models? What can you say about them? How are they on practice?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staystrong View Post
Now I'm searching for a good grill either. I narrowed the circle to Traeger TFS60LZC and Traeger TFB38TCA. I've found a source with the comparison of those models and I still can't choose the one. I'm not sure if it is worth spend so much money on a huge traeger grill.
Did anyone have any experience with traeger grills and these models? What can you say about them? How are they on practice?
I was not familiar with those models. I had to google them. That first one I’ve never seen. Is it an amazon exclusive? It only has 380 inches of surface. I use my Traeger all the time. I have the Texas elite grill. More than double the inches and it’s too small many times. I use my Traeger for everything.

The other grill is I think the old Costco model when Costco first started selling them. It’s double walled so you don’t need a blanket when it’s cold. I had to buy the insulated blanket to use my Traeger at -30C all winter long like another poster said was impossible. If your spending the amount I think you are on this grill look at an ironwood or timberline. They are way ahead of this grill.

Been using my Traeger for 10 years. Not a problem with it. I read about how they are junk all the time and laugh.