Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Default Motorcycle road test - any tips?

Taking my motorcycle road test this week.
Passed the knowledge test and I am a careful / slow driver.

Wondering if any one has any tips as to what they are extremely sticky on or automatic fails ?

THanks,
Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Over exaggerate your shoulder checks. And obey traffic laws. What type of bike and how long have you been riding it?

And best of luck.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Take the motorcycle safety course first, if you haven't already, before you try the road test. Even if you've been riding elsewhere for years. Used to be there were a couple of things they'd get you with, including one biggie right off the bat.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Most times the tester will,take you through a playground etc so watch speeds, also ensure you pull into right lane to make the right turn even if there is no visual evidence of two lanes, signal your intentions and kill the signal after making the turn. Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Ask the tester how many lanes you have. Shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check. Don't drag your feet. Don't let the bike roll back when starting on a hill. Watch your speed and watch the signs for playgrounds etc.

Take a motorcycle safety course prior to taking the test if you can. If not then take one afterwards. The information presented and skills learned will make you a much safer rider.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Taking my motorcycle road test this week.
Passed the knowledge test and I am a careful / slow driver.

Wondering if any one has any tips as to what they are extremely sticky on or automatic fails ?

Thanks,
Driving too slow is a fail.
Ride in the improper lane position is a fail.
Being an uncoordinated klutz will also get you a fail - be smooth and coordinated with all your moves.
Maybe familiarize yourself with the roads and residential areas around the area where you are taking your road test.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM

We had to make a figure 8 real slow and keeping balance with no foot touches, start and stopping on an incline, and getting the right feet to do the correct thing in order, staying between pylons for a certain amount of feet. Good luck and watch out for the wolves( cars) some are blind , some are dumb and always drive defensively!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Don't put your right foot down on the ground. Never. Not even when sitting at a long red light. Not even for a second.

As you're coming to a stop, gear down to 1st so you're ready to launch at all times as opposed to sitting at a light in Neutral which would then require you to put your right foot down in order to shift from N to 1 to launch. See above.

Know about uncontrolled intersections.

Don't ride too slow thinking the examiner will recognize your caution as proactive and safety conscious (even if going through a narrow residential street with cars parked on each side). Don't speed either.

Use a bike that is very light and easy to ride.

All tips by others are spot on. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Also don't do the duck walk..sank a buddy of mine.. Drive like you know what your doing
Leroy
Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM

When I did my class 6 in BC there was a very comprehensive thread in the local sportbike forum about DOs and DO NOTs...I can't seem to find a similar thing in AB. Too bad. All I can say for sure (without knowing the specifics of the AB test) is remember that the test usually starts before you ride away (bike checks, proper gear, bike in good condition) and doesn't end until you're back, parked safely, legally, in an upright condition :-)

Also don't panic if you don't understand their directions through the crappy head set. They may be making you panic on purpose, they may not be good at their jobs...regardless, if you get a direction you can't do too easily ignore it in a safe manner and make the signal (whatever it is they tell you) that you didn't understand the signal. They will give you a new direction.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 PM
AO Sponsor

It really is too easy of a test... Surprisingly easy. I always rode dirt bikes etc as a kid but never street bikes. I bought a Ducati S2R1000, went and wrote my learners, road for a week and went and took my rode test and passed no problem. I was 41 (3.5 years ago). Really just a lot of common sense stuff. They should make it much more difficult IMHO...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It really is too easy of a test... Surprisingly easy. I always rode dirt bikes etc as a kid but never street bikes. I bought a Ducati S2R1000, went and wrote my learners, road for a week and went and took my rode test and passed no problem. I was 41 (3.5 years ago). Really just a lot of common sense stuff. They should make it much more difficult IMHO...
Agreed - the road and written tests are both way too easy. I think mandatory bike training would be a good prerequisite to get a license.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM

I took my test 3 years ago after doing too cool motorcycle school. It was a very easy road test, just follow all standard car road signs etc. Dont drive to slow (I had a friend fail due to this hahaha). Always keep the bike in gear so you dont have to step down with your right foot. Dont roll back on the hill start, be able to control that rear brake effectively. Know how to ride in the dominant lane position. and most importantly CANCEL YOUR SIGNALS!

It was a very easy road test, if you can drive a car then its a cake walk as the rules of the road dont change when your on a bike, there are just a few more little rules you have to know is all. I got 0 points off, and I think my buddy got -10 for a late signal cancellation.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Banned

Good advice given in this thread and I can really only reinforce the suggestion of making sure you dont forget your signals.

I still have my class 6 designation but I have not owned a motorcycle for 20 years.I still know how to ride a motorcycle of course but if I had to go through the sudden rigamarole of passing a test I would probably fail as my knowledge for all the finicky stuff for a road test is rusty to say the least.

When I did take my road safety test it was in Revelstoke BC and for the most part it was dead easy as the tester stayed at the court house whilst I ran the circuit around it.I got 1 minor ding on my test and I passed first time.

FTH
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Shoulder check non stop and make sure it is obvious. 3 failures to shoulder check is a fail. 3 failures of anything is a fail

Treat single lane roads as two lanes. In other words, drive in the dominant part of the lane but shoulder check and switch to the right side for a right turn. THEN single. After the turn stay in the right hand part of the lane, shoulder check and pull back into the dominant part of the lane.

My tester answered every question I had before the test (I did it in May of this year). He told me I didn't need to do a pre ride safety check. He also said my right foot does not have to be on the peg/brake at stops.

He also drew me a map of the course and included speed limits.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM

They are usually pretty relaxed. Buddy at work did his wearing shorts and hand signaled because his bike didn't have any signal lights. Passed no problem.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Apparently you shouldn't back into an angled parking spot, like you normally would, instead you are expected to park like a vehicle. Only thing I lost points on.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 PM

I've been riding since I was 16 years old. The only thing I can offer you is .......................look and act cool............. that's it and you will do fine.

Dog_River
Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 PM

I took mine in Calgary way back in ... about '86 ...maybe. Too far back to be sure. Anyway, I was taking the test because my insurance lady told me that in order to insure my dirt bikes I would have to have a class 6 licence. Yes - for dirt bikes. So I drove out to Bowness for the test and was told by the tester that I couldn't take the test on a dirt bike - it had to have signals and mirrors, all the good stuff. Asked if we were going on the road and he said no. I had a class 1 licence and he said there was no point in going on the road as I had had two road tests already. But I couldn't take the obstacle course on a dirt bike. I had the wife's DR on the truck and he said I could use it for the test as it met the requirements. No key. Dammit! Drive all the way across the city, get the key, go back, get in line again and away we go.

The DR was brand new never used. Well, I learned that the 4 stroke needed to be well warmed up as it stalled a few times at the beginning. That went against me. Remember my bike was a dirt bike. Three quarters of the way through he tells me that if I put my foot down one more time he will have to fail me. Wtf?! I didn't know that! I was driving just like you would on a trail, foot goes down cornering or whatever - not so in the city apparently. I passed, though it seems just passed. I've never taken more than one test for any of my licences. I can't get my head wrapped around these kids that fail the written 6 or more times then take a half dozen goes at getting the road test done. Is there any question as to why drivers are so bad on the road today? I believe that we have passed the point where driving is a privilege and it is deemed a right. We must be. Someone that needs a dozen road exams just isn't getting it and likely shouldn't be out there.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM

When you are gearing down make sure you also are touching the brake a bit so the brakelight is lit. If you don't the drivers behind you have no indication you are slowing down. It's important to remember this while being tested or after you have passed.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Took my test 35 years ago on a whim. There was a motorcycle training school next to the license place in Calgary, you could rent a bike for the test. If you had a Class 5 driver's license, there was no road test only a parking lot skills test and written exam to get your Class 6. I had been riding dirt bikes and racing enduros for a few years, so the skill test was a cinch.

The point being that getting a lot of time on a motorcycle off road is great training for handling a bike. You are very familiar with riding the bike and can concentrate on the traffic and road conditions, especially during a test.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
When I did my class 6 in BC there was a very comprehensive thread in the local sportbike forum about DOs and DO NOTs...I can't seem to find a similar thing in AB. Too bad. All I can say for sure (without knowing the specifics of the AB test) is remember that the test usually starts before you ride away (bike checks, proper gear, bike in good condition) and doesn't end until you're back, parked safely, legally, in an upright condition :-)

Also don't panic if you don't understand their directions through the crappy head set. They may be making you panic on purpose, they may not be good at their jobs...regardless, if you get a direction you can't do too easily ignore it in a safe manner and make the signal (whatever it is they tell you) that you didn't understand the signal. They will give you a new direction.
This one is good

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/1g9pki/
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Shoulder check lots.

And if you do get your licence, don't be a fool and wear shorts, flip flops and a tank top, see lots of those brain dead idiots on their crotch rocket, no matter how good of a rider you are, you will lose in a crash.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM

Practice some tight slaloms, figure eights, very slow rides and such in a parking lot somewhere. When I took my test there was one other fellow who showed up who took an immediate automatic fail for riding his motorcycle to the test by himself; technically you're a learner and should always be accompanied by someone with a valid class 6 licence. I had my Stepfather along for that purpose so mine went fine. That being said I think I rode for two years before even bothering to take my test, once the bike was insured and registered it seemed like it wanted to be ridden immediately .
Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Keep your head ona swivel and stay outta that grease strip in the middle of the road on hot and wet days.
Rob
Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM

A lot of great tips here, I will echo the continual shoulder check even when there are no apparent lane markings. Turn off the signal, stay in the dominant part of your lane and keep your turns tight (got dinged for both these).
The best advice I got was ask as many questions as you can think of up front before you leave the parking lot so its clear. I was told that "you'll get and earpiece or they'll draw you a map" but the instructor just gave me verbal directions and said make sure to watch my signal in your mirrors and away we went. Still passed but could have used a bit more details. Get out and practice lots. Best of luck.

My buddy's always joke that the trifecta is Girls, Guns and Bikes.....not always in that order......
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Banned

I'm going for my class 6 thursday or friday this week. I've purchased a 2016 Ural bike with a sidecar and can't wait to do some riding. Road test was passed two weeks ago, so now it's practice and more practice. Some really great tips here. Even though I rode 30 plus years ago while stationed in Gagetown NB 1978, It's nice to reacquaint myself and get into the mindset. I sold the bike after I got hitched... Looking back, I'm sorry I did that..Getting hitched AND selling the bike...
Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
X2. However the instructor wasn't pleased with my showboating, wheeling one hand high fives. Then my front wheel stops. He challenged me and lost. That what happens when you race a x provincial champ!!! Lol!!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Agreed - the road and written tests are both way too easy. I think mandatory bike training would be a good prerequisite to get a license.
Same with all other vehicles too...just look at the four wheeled meatheads out there

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-31-2017, 07:31 AM

I lost a bunch of points on the same thing. He was driving behind me, and prior to the start of the test said that if we lose our line of sight, to pull over immediately (they do this for obvious reasons and to see if you're using your mirrors). I interpreted that as, as long as I can see him back there and he is relatively close, I'm good to go. He interpreted that as, if a vehicle pulls between us, even for a second, pull over when safe to do so. I never did my helmet up though, and he missed that.