Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Banned

Default Stay sharp.

Wow! At work we find out that a young woman thought that she could get up close and personal with one of the bison that we have roaming around Elk Island Park last Saturday… She was tossed and suffered a broken arm for her stupidity. She is very lucky she didn’t lose her life… These animals ARE NOT domesticated and it’s recommended that you do not get any closer than 100 meters if outside your vehicle. It’s calving season, May and June, and the bulls are also butting heads over dominance of the heard. Makes for a very precarious situation for tourists…who feel that they need to “pet” a bison…Stay sharp and aware of your surroundings while camping this long weekend and remember that during the long weekend Alcohol is banned from the park.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Wow! At work we find out that a young woman thought that she could get up close and personal with one of the bison that we have roaming around Elk Island Park last Saturday… She was tossed and suffered a broken arm for her stupidity. She is very lucky she didn’t lose her life… These animals ARE NOT domesticated and it’s recommended that you do not get any closer than 100 meters if outside your vehicle. It’s calving season, May and June, and the bulls are also butting heads over dominance of the heard. Makes for a very precarious situation for tourists…who feel that they need to “pet” a bison…Stay sharp and aware of your surroundings while camping this long weekend and remember that during the long weekend Alcohol is banned from the park.
I blame the Disneyfication for this.
Though many of Walt's movies/animation are amazing, it has given far to many people the idea that animals are such cute little things just waiting to befriend a human.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:51 PM

I wonder if she was an eco vegan extremist?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-19-2018, 04:04 PM

Well said Trooper (Post #1), but I'm not so sure the word 'Stupid' really applies here. Many people are just simply 'Unaware' of how dangerous some herbivores can be ... especially the bigger ones.

Selkirk
Old 05-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

This is frowned upon too:

Old 05-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Well said Trooper (Post #1), but I'm not so sure the word 'Stupid' really applies here. Many people are just simply 'Unaware' of how dangerous some herbivores can be ... especially the bigger ones.

Selkirk
Consider that there are numerous signs and brochures that state the animals are wild and not of the petting kind.. I'd still use the term stupid. Even one of the park staff used the term for this incident...I agree with her, the lady was stupid for ignoring many warnings that the signs and brochures depict. She will have learned her lesson.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Speaking of Elk Island I haven't heard anything on the related hunt that might possibly have been happening there any news

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 05:42 PM

There's likely a forum somewhere with idiots screaming for the dangerous animals to be killed

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There's likely a forum somewhere with idiots screaming for the dangerous animals to be killed
That's a little harsh, she already has a broken arm. Maybe she learned her lesson?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM

The "learning curve" is often painful for the "stupid" people in society !
Old 05-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Banned

Stupid or not, I can guarantee that we’ll be dealing with ppl who
do not realize the danger or choose to ignore it. Only a matter of time before a speeding vehicle hits one on the road through the park. This evening promises to be a lively one. And I truly hope not a lethal one, for man or beast.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Consider that there are numerous signs and brochures that state the animals are wild and not of the petting kind.. I'd still use the term stupid. Even one of the park staff used the term for this incident...I agree with her, the lady was stupid for ignoring many warnings that the signs and brochures depict. She will have learned her lesson.

OK, so given that ^ ... maybe the term 'Stupid' does apply!

Forrest Gump's Mamma said it best ...

Selkirk
Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a little harsh, she already has a broken arm. Maybe she learned her lesson?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 AM

Exclamation having a picnic...at a safari park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eje1RJKKDdw

saw this on youtube
Old 05-20-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Well said Trooper (Post #1), but I'm not so sure the word 'Stupid' really applies here.
Selkirk
I'm pretty sure it does. What does a bison weigh? 3/4 ton? A person should know to avoid an animal that size with pointy horns, by nature. It's like the morons who try to take selfies with Grizzlies. They ought to know.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Well if she hast learnt her lesson, I will buy her a one way ticket to Spain to partake in the running of the bulls...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
As with life some of the best lessons are hard lessons....hopefully will knock the stupid out of 'em so they can continue on.....hey get close to the black bear and take a selfie.....

That's not how wild animals act in the story books.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Stupid or not, I can guarantee that we’ll be dealing with ppl who
do not realize the danger or choose to ignore it. Only a matter of time before a speeding vehicle hits one on the road through the park. This evening promises to be a lively one. And I truly hope not a lethal one, for man or beast.
Do you work there? Wasn't there another incident yesterday?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Arrow

JW said it best ...

Selkirk
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
The "learning curve" is often painful for the "stupid" people in society !
There also laws and lawyer waiting to help them collect , there’s probably a lawsuits coming ....
Old 05-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Lets just remove all warning signs and let nature run its course, the urban gene pool is in dire need of a serious shock treatment. Heck, perhaps free bus trips from the hipster areas of Calgary & Edmonton for viewing bison, polar bears, and grizzlies might even be helpful!
Old 05-20-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Lets just remove all warning signs and let nature run its course, the urban gene pool is in dire need of a serious shock treatment. Heck, perhaps free bus trips from the hipster areas of Calgary & Edmonton for viewing bison, polar bears, and grizzlies might even be helpful!
throw in a free starbucks chai latte and you will have a full bus everytime...
Old 05-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Al Oeming told me once the only animal he'd never turn his back on is a buffalo one second your feeding it by hand and the next he's trying to kill you .

Yup Disneyfaction strikes again.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Do you work there? Wasn't there another incident yesterday?
Not that I've heard, I work from 2000 hrs to 0600 hrs. at the park with park staff and the RCMP, when needed. Last night, we had a six month pregnant lady trip and land on her stomach. An ambulance attended the scene and she was taken away. We did ask a lady and her daughter to stay close to her vehicle at the bison loop. She wanted to get closer to a small heard in the field.. A word of caution changed their minds..
Old 05-20-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Though many of Walt's movies/animation are amazing, it has given far to many people the idea that animals are such cute little things just waiting to befriend a human.

I blame guy on a buffalo...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Retard
Old 05-20-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Kinda like the recently deceased Mr Russell did.

Unlike Timothy Treadwell he did not get eaten
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

That poor woman! I can't believe the Bison treated her that way. Animals in Canada are out of control. I saw a deer running across the road the other day and it wasn't even using the marked cross walk. What's the point of having a deer crossing sign if there not even going to follow the law?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
That poor woman! I can't believe the Bison treated her that way. Animals in Canada are out of control. I saw a deer running across the road the other day and it wasn't even using the marked cross walk. What's the point of having a deer crossing sign if there not even going to follow the law?
Pummel them with Tim bits....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Not that I've heard, I work from 2000 hrs to 0600 hrs. at the park with park staff and the RCMP, when needed. Last night, we had a six month pregnant lady trip and land on her stomach. An ambulance attended the scene and she was taken away. We did ask a lady and her daughter to stay close to her vehicle at the bison loop. She wanted to get closer to a small heard in the field.. A word of caution changed their minds..
I work at PC Dispatch, so I'm sure I'll be chatting with you this summer! Sounds like you are going to have a Park Warden there this summer as well.