Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Default Used Bow Buying Tips

Hi all, I am starting to look at getting a compound bow. I am leaning towards used in order to get a mid-level bow for the price of a brand new "entry" level bow. Can anyone give some pointers on what to look for on a used bow before buying? String condition? General wear? Etc

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:05 PM

If I was buying used I'd look carefully at the following:
1) String condition, fraying, etc. A new set will run you over $100
2). Carefully check all edges of every limb for separation, splitting, fraying, cracks, etc. Running Your finger along each edge will catch on any minute issue. I've seen composite limbs develope separation in their fibres with age or abuse.
3). Check the spacer/bushings between the cams and the limbs. Sometimes these break with age or with a dry fire. There should not be a sloppy gap between the cam and the limb.
4). Although harder to detect, check cam axles for straightness. Bent axles usually mean a dry fire.

I'm sure I've missed stuff. Others may have more ideas of what to look for.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 PM

Also important to know your draw length---and draw length(adjustable) of the bow. Draw weight (adjustable) of the bow and how many pounds you are comfortable pulling. The bow has to fit you--very important.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you got an experienced buddy bring them to go over the bow as another set of eyes would not hurt especially if they know bows.
After that you should ask to shoot it as it. I got look and be functionally sound but just not a good fit for you.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Thanks!

Very much appreciate the pointers from everyone!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Default used bow

What these guys said!!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 AM

Additionally- if you’re close enough to a reputable archery shop, have the seller meet you there and ask the pros to give it a once over. Most places will do this, and it’ll give you some peace of mind, if you’re not 100% sure what to look for.
If the seller is unwilling to meet you at a bow shop, there may be a problem with the bow that he/she is trying to hide.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Right now is a great time to be looking. Manufacturers are releasing their 2019 models and there are folks that are lucky enough to purchase a new bow every year. Bows don't hold value like a rifle, so 50-60% of new, for 1 year old bow is the norm. In 2017 I sold my 2016 Darton 3800 with a QAD and entry level sight and stab for $600 shipped; the bow was $1000 new. So last years flagship bows such as a Triax, Realm, Evolve, Ritual, or Hyperforce should be around $800 used with no accessories. Once you get into last years Carbon you should just around $1200-1300. The only company I believe right now that has a transferable warranty is Athens so if you buy used you will not have warranty for limb or riser issues. If you go new, then last years stock may be reduced but don't expect 30-40% off. 10% usually with maybe as high as 15% with a really poor seller from last year. You don't get into the 30-40% off until the stock is 2-3 years old and discontinued.

I agree with doing a face to face deal at a shop like Jimbows or Accurate and pay the $30-40 for them to do an inspection. If that can not be done, then I would make it clear to the seller that you will be taking it to a shop to remove it from the shipping package and have a tech inspect the bow. See if he will agree in PM to a 3 day no questions asked refund and return where you pay the return shipping. This will normally weed out the sellers being less than honest on the bows condition. Also the nice thing about used as the bow has already taken the "hit." So if you purchase a 1 year old used bow for $800 and shoot it for 6 months then decide it is not for you, you should still be able to get $800 if you decide to sell it and try something else.

Good Luck and have fun
Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 PM

you call tell alot by the string.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 PM

All of the above mentioned. Check the string on any hard bends that it may do.

Make sure the cams are not nicked as it can cut a string.