Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Tundra 550 problems?

I started partnering on a line in the Swan Hills this year and just bought the first sled I've owned since I was a teenager. I was able to find a Tundra 550 with less than 500 miles on it for a good price. I like the power and how it handles steep climbs and deep snow, being a Tundra I figured it would be bullet proof. I had it out in -25 this week and it was acting up on me a bit. The RER was being finicky and once in awhile my gauges would start acting crazy, usually at an idle. I started poking around under the hood and everything seemed a lot more complicated than the borrowed Bravo I've been using. I got worried and headed for home, once it warms up I will see if the problems persist.

So who has run one of these sleds for any amount of time and how did they work for you? To be honest, after contemplating the possibility of a long walk in this week's weather I'm almost tempted to just sell it and go back to wrestling with a Bravo.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-11-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:59 PM

You might be better off asking on Dootalk.com
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You might be better off asking on Dootalk.com
I did some research and have it narrowed down to a couple components at this point. I guess I'm asking whether I can expect trouble free service out of this machine in the future or not. Interested to hear from those who have run this sled. Having gotten off to a bit of a rough start with it, I guess I'm just wondering if I want to trust this thing in the bush or not.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 PM

2 cylinders equals twice as many problems in my opinion. I'm no mechanic, but I do know the more moving parts the more likelihood of a problem. Tough to argue with a reliable machine like a bravo. I have no experience with a Tundra though.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 AM

This could be as simple as a bad spark plug, have you changed them?
Sometimes a sled also needs a good rip to carbon out the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post
This could be as simple as a bad spark plug, have you changed them?
Sometimes a sled also needs a good rip to carbon out the engine.

I'm going to get some new plugs today and try them. My Tundra is a 2012 and it had less than 450 miles on it when I bought it, so I do think that maybe it might smarten up with regular use.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Analog or digital Guages??

Not familiar with the year of sled. Is it analog or digital gauges?

As for the RER, the whole idea is that the engine slows down, the engine "shuts off", and the timing reverses and the engine fires back up in reverse.

If you are saying the sled idles fine, and it is just electrical, that is one thing. If you are saying the sled sputters and dies and can't keep idling, that's another thing.

We need some more information to help you here.

Drewski
Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 AM

The plugs should fix it. A couple other things to look at is checking the compression (should be 120psi+ and fairly equal). And make sure the carbs are clean, varnish can build if it's been sitting.

It should be a good sled.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 AM

sounds like a typical 550F to me, they don't like high octane fuel so don't run premium for starters. Fill it up with fresh fuel and run a bottle of Sea Foam through it.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

If it is running at too low of an rpm the RER will not work properly. I will stop, but will not start back up in reverse. As stated if its been sitting, could need carbs cleaned. These are pretty reliable sleds.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 AM

I have a 550F in an expedition. Zero issues. Sounds like you just need a tune up, and maybe a quick run through tightening and checking connections. Carb tune, new belt, new plugs etc. Of note when it is cold like this I run premium in mine. Once it warms up above -20 or so I run regular.

Spruce
Old 01-12-2018, 08:29 PM

There was an issue with a few newer models with having bad ground connections and also the Skandics needed to have a conductive device placed around the gauges to keep them from doing funny things. Check with a local dealer for service bulletins and they may be able to point you in the right direction
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

5 year old with little use, needs proper servicing. If you know how go through it end to end. Clean gas, bottle of seafoam, new plugs, new belt, keep old one for spare, check track, sliders, all bolts and fasteners, check clutch, idle RPM, free play on all cables, output voltages and amps etc. A good service manual is never a waste of money. IF not take it to the dealer and the suggestion by Desert Eagle to check at the dealer for recalls and TSBs is an excellent one.

These sleds have a great rep for reliability and terrible gas mileage but like all things mechanical they need proper care.