Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Browning AB3

Would like to hear from guys that picked up an AB3 and what their opinion of it is. I am considering one for my girlfriend to see if she gets into the sport. Not much for forum type reviews other than a few magazine reviews.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 AM

I had one in 300 WM. Nice shooter, definitely a lot better than the X bolt IMO. Rocky Mountain Gunsmithing in Okotoks always has a pile of them. Give Leroy a call, he'll break down the pros and cons for you and will usually have more in stock than whats available on his website.

https://www.rmguns.com/2018/31-center-fire-rifles
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM

Only 1 response? Gotta be a few more guys with these guns?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:45 PM

I’ve handled ab3 at gun stores.bolt is sticky no where near as good as the older ab2 imo.overpriced for a bottom of the barrel rifle.save 200$ and get a savage axis or spend 200$ more and get a t3x.crappy trigger as well .i shot a buddy’s ab3 and it was ok accuracy wise.i like the xbolts better if you must have a browning
Old 01-24-2020, 09:08 AM

I don’t own one but have handled them, for me it would depend on the price. They offer some decked out versions and for the price of those I would say spend a tiny bit more and get something nicer (X bolt or Tikka). But depending on the price of just a plain Jane normal one I would say it might make a good beginner rifle. I have owned many bolts actions, some lower end ones and some more expensive ones. I don’t think the lower end ones make great beginner rifles (Savage Axis, Ruger American). Things I don’t like about them is they sacrifice features. The Axis has a horrible bolt lift and being a 90 degree lift, an inexperienced beginner will most likely mash their thumb between the bolt handle and the scope. I don’t like (for a beginner) that on the Axis and American that the safety doesn’t lock the bolt. If the bolt get lifted up during handling, a beginner may not notice and the gun will fail to fire when the trigger is pulled. I can’t speak for the Remington 783, but if the safety doesn’t lock the bolt, I don’t like it for beginners either. The more things that don’t move, the better it is for a beginner. Now, my concerns of the bolt being lifted unbeknown to the operator really only apply a for hunting. If you are looking for a target shooting rifle, it doesn’t really matter. All that said, the AB3 does lock the bolt when the safety is engaged, and has an unlock button. As I said, for me price would be the deciding factor.