Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 09:16 AM

This may be worth a read, would suck to have this happen.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...+post+shipping
Old 01-04-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
This may be worth a read, would suck to have this happen.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...+post+shipping
CanadaPost eventually apologized and sent then package from what I remember .
Stupid Idjits trying to enforce something that is s policy of their own not Federal law
Cat
Old 01-04-2020, 11:16 AM

I shipped out a restricted 2 days ago. Was told by our (AB) CFO office to have a trigger lock on gun and send key separately by mail.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I shipped out a restricted 2 days ago. Was told by our (AB) CFO office to have a trigger lock on gun and send key separately by mail.
This is my understanding of the legal requirement. We got pretty good at picking trigger locks at National Armoury shop when the trigger lock keys where lost or not sent
Old 01-04-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Then again , the CFOs have been known to impose regulations that only exist in their minds. The illegal registry that they tried to impose after parliament scrapped the long gun registry, being one example.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:52 PM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I did have to sign for most of my parcels containing firearms, but Canada Post has left firearms sitting on my doorstep, that were shipped signature required. If that firearm went missing, Canada Post would be liable, not me. The shipper has the receipt showing that the firearm was shipped legally, so it would be up to Canada Post to prove that I signed for the parcel and received it. As to the wife having picked up the parcel, unless it was her name on the parcel , the post office should not have given her the parcel .
Now if the parcel was left on the doorstep, and someone stole it, with our legal system I doubt that the thief could be convicted of illegally acquiring a firearm, because until it is legally delivered, it is just a parcel, which is why Canada Post employees can be in possession without a PAL.
Agreed. So when does a restricted firearm parcel shipment end its shipping state, and transform into a “restricted transport”, for legal concerns I would say the moment I have signed for it or its been given to me. At that point, for the ride home, id say it needs a trigger lock and locked case.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post

Agreed. So when does a restricted firearm parcel shipment end its shipping state, and transform into a “restricted transport”, for legal concerns I would say the moment I have signed for it or its been given to me. At that point, for the ride home, id say it needs a trigger lock and locked case.
Or is it still a parcel until you arrive at home and open it? Until then, you can argue that since you haven't actually seen the contents of the parcel, it is just a parcel.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Signing for it does not identify that it is a restricted weapon.
Also, a trigger lock is still not a legal requirement.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I respectfully disagree.
Trigger locks are not legally required. The Carrier is limited as to who you can use. and they have guidelines on packaging. Thats all. Never had an issue.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Signing for it does not identify that it is a restricted weapon.
Also, a trigger lock is still not a legal requirement.
Yes it is, if its cosidered being transported and no longer being shipped. Restricted firearms require a trigger lock or similar device during transport.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM

All the firearms I have shipped were shipped with no locks and arrived with no issues.
Except for one instance. The buyer requested a trigger lock and in a locked gun case. He paid for the items - so a nonissue. Used combination locks and emailed him the combinations.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Yes it is, if its cosidered being transported and no longer being shipped. Restricted firearms require a trigger lock or similar device during transport.
it doesnt need a trigger lock unless you open the package. If you just go from a post office to your house, you dont need one.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
it doesnt need a trigger lock unless you open the package. If you just go from a post office to your house, you dont need one.
And you got this info from what source?
I am throwing around hypothetical’s here, and I’m sure if you pick up the phone and call a CFO we will all get info were not interested in having, which is why im not calling. Lol
But it certainly reveals a system designed for prosecutors.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I am throwing around hypothetical’s here, and I’m sure if you pick up the phone and call a CFO we will all get info were not interested in having, which is why im not calling. Lol
I’m willing to bet that if you called the CFO or the CFC and for every different person you talked to you’d get a different answer. Advice from a LEO or a government employee carries no legal weight, unless the reply comes in written form, and I’m also willing to put a C note down that you’ll get zero in writing. A judge will decide in the end.

The fact remains that when I’ve ordered firearms from gun shoppes and they get shipped Canada Post they all arrive sans secure locking device. Doesn’t matter whether they are restricted or non restricted.
I’ve shipped close to 100 firearms by CP, and have never put a secure locking device on a single firearm, and I’ve had zero issues.

Why must we as a community of hopefully like minded people make things harder on ourselves, than they need to be, and why must we feed potential anti zealots with stories that make or paint a grim picture. Do as you must, but quit with the divisive bull excrement, these pages get used as ammo against us.
Keep chirping about non issues and soon enough we will be jumping through more hurdles.

Quite giving them ideas!

There are no absolutes
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Retailers do not received restricted guns with trigger locks.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:48 AM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Retailers do not received restricted guns with trigger locks.
Yup, that’s correct. I dont think you’ve read the entire post.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 AM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I’m willing to bet that if you called the CFO or the CFC and for every different person you talked to you’d get a different answer. Advice from a LEO or a government employee carries no legal weight, unless the reply comes in written form, and I’m also willing to put a C note down that you’ll get zero in writing. A judge will decide in the end.

The fact remains that when I’ve ordered firearms from gun shoppes and they get shipped Canada Post they all arrive sans secure locking device. Doesn’t matter whether they are restricted or non restricted.
I’ve shipped close to 100 firearms by CP, and have never put a secure locking device on a single firearm, and I’ve had zero issues.

Why must we as a community of hopefully like minded people make things harder on ourselves, than they need to be, and why must we feed potential anti zealots with stories that make or paint a grim picture. Do as you must, but quit with the divisive bull excrement, these pages get used as ammo against us.
Keep chirping about non issues and soon enough we will be jumping through more hurdles.

Quite giving them ideas!
Not sure about all that Dick. Its firarm owners discussing firearms stuff and didnt see a single divisive thing really? Just thought provoking discussions. Im not interested in hiding under anyones rock.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Have you ever gotten a statt to transport from the post office to your home? I don’t see the post office listed anywhere on my paperwork.

It has always been treated as a parcel until you open the package. Meaning no case/trigger lock until getting home and opening. Would you unpack your pistol in the parking lot of the post office and apply a trigger lock? That seems like a poor idea.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:27 PM

For shipping restricted or non restricted, I run a heavy duty zip tie through the action. Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
For shipping restricted or non restricted, I run a heavy duty zip tie through the action. Problem solved.
We need a like button for this guy, best comment made all week, Just my thought's.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:16 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Have you ever gotten a statt to transport from the post office to your home? I don’t see the post office listed anywhere on my paperwork.

It has always been treated as a parcel until you open the package. Meaning no case/trigger lock until getting home and opening. Would you unpack your pistol in the parking lot of the post office and apply a trigger lock? That seems like a poor idea.
Yup, agree with all of that!
Been doing this a long time, and i havent advocated anything. Just merely a discussion has tapered towards how laws are vague and a person should give some thought to “what if’s”. Seems odd though doesnt it. A handgun travels across a country in a cardboard box, and the minute you get it home it needs to be locked in a safe. The next time you take it anywhere, it needs a trigger lock and a locked case. Some seem upset with the mere thought of “thought”. Lol
Old 01-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Have received over 2 dozen restricted firearms all from Canadian businesses and shipped Canada Post and NEVER once seen a trigger lock. It is a Canada Post ‘policy’ not a legal requirement, same thing with a locked non-opaque case... cardboard is the norm.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have received more than a hundred firearms via Canada Post, from dealers and private citizens , not one had a trigger lock installed.
Same for me. I sent too a few without locks and everything always went fine.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:59 PM

Just think about thousands of firearms shipped to all retail stores, none of them are trigger locked, even HAND GUNS
Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Default No requirement for trigger locks while shipped but,....

It is a big but!! since Canada Post has the policy on the books that firearms shipped with them must have a trigger lock. If you look back to Cats post I am the guy that had a shotgun sent to undeliverable parcels in Scarborough because when x rayed (in Edmonton) they could not see a trigger lock.
The second time it happened to me was also detected by x ray in Edmonton so I looked up both the written instructions for CP as well as firearms legislation.
The firearm in question was destined for a small town just 20 miles from Edmonton but instead was sent clear across the country. After numerous calls to a CP supervisor in Ottawa, CFC and my MP it was finally released but took 2 weeks of my time.
As far as I know despite going to the postal omsbudsman recommending that the trigger lock was not required under CFC rules and it should be amended I believe it is still technically a rule by CP.
I have sent and received probably a 100 firearms over the years and only had a problem twice. I recently ordered a sale item Tikka T1X 22 by internet at Cabelas and it arrived with one of those screw off trigger locks last week. I have saved a few of them and putting a $5 plastic throw away trigger lock on any firearm I ship is cheaper than arguing with CP all the way up the line for weeks.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:40 AM

I do that all the time, but always require signature.