Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Scope installation on a BLR. Advice needed.

Hello all,

A couple of years ago, shortly after I joined this forum, I asked you all for an advice about purchasing a BLR in 7-08 (original thread). I now need an advice about a proper scope installation on this particular rifle.

I had someone help me install the scope that same year, but the result definitely desires better. No tools other than a screwdriver were used in the installation process, so... The level is off and even though it was not noticeable in the beginning, it is driving me insane now (what was not noticeable before looks waaaaay off now); eye relieve is a little off as well.

Now that I have some proper tools (a vise and a mounting kit) and having properly installed scopes on a couple of other rifles myself, I want to fix this issue.

The advice I need is this. There is definitely lack of experience, but I am also either blind or something. For the life of me, I cannot see a spot where I can put a level on the rifle. Can someone point me in the right direction? Lol.

And as long as we are at it, does anyone know the torque specs for weaver bases? It’s two pieces rather than a rail. Also, the safe torque specs for rings. I don’t remember the exact model, but know for sure it’s Burris rings that I bought in Wholesale when the store was closing and paid $20 at 75% off. The scope is also a Burris.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Pm sent

There are no absolutes
Old 09-08-2019, 05:40 PM

I would just get a one piece base ... that is what I use one mine.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Default BLR scope mounting

There are several variations of BLRs, but AFAIK, the mount hole patterns are at least similar.

On my pre’81, Weaver #54 and #25 both fit,
IIRC the #54s have a center channel that allows clear sight of the barrel mounted iron sights. IIRC the #25s have a flat top that blocks the rear iron sights.
I have also used a #57 which is a similar extended sight that requires drilling one hole to fit, (a P-rail would have been MUCH better)

This is my last CF rifle to convert from 2 piece Weavers to P-rail.
I can see no reason to install 2 piece mounts on a BLR, and several reasons not to.
I use only ‘tip off’ mounts to facilitate scope changes and adjusting eye to ocular distance

I plan to install an EGW 0moa P-rail # 43500, which AFAIK has a center channel to allow clear sight of the barrel mounted irons. EGW lists this P-rail as fitting a long action, but the hole centers are the same as my short action.
I suggest checking hole centers carefully before ordering.

I suggest using the flat sides of receiver as a vertical reference. (Check the sides are not tapered, if they are tapered, then place a level on both sides and balance indications.)
The pre ‘81s have a steel receiver which will hold a magnetic torpedo level, aluminum receivers will require a clamp.

I epoxy bed all my P-rails.
After bedding is dry, I torque 6x48 screws to 20in/lbs. (into a steel receiver, IDNK correct torque for aluminum. It will depend on length of screw thread engagement.
I use purple (not blue) Loctite on small screws.

Good Luck, YMMV.