Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Default good moose zones

Would like to throw a question out there. I have priority 10 for antlered moose and am unsure of which zone to put in, in central alberta. Just to be very clear I'm not looking for info on anyone's hunting spot, land owners name or any other info that is sacred and we like to keep to ourselves. I'm not looking for a free ride as I hunt very hard and will do my own leg work. What I am looking for is advise on WMU's where a guy has a chance at a 45 inch + bull. I have taken quite a few moose and would like to take one good size bull. I have heard that WMU 203 holds some great bulls and a healthy number of moose in general with permission easy to obtain. I am favoring the east central Alberta area as I live in the Red Deer area. Any thoughts or suggestion would be great
Old 05-18-2019, 03:20 PM

A friend of mine got a draw last year in 163. North of Oyen. Lots of moose, easy to get permission as the moose are of course eating the ranchers/farmers apple trees etc. and breaking fences. Never got turned down once. They did ask however if we were outfitters. He got a 53 incher and for my help I got a bit of the meat. Absolutely superb!!

Most of the landowners we had permission from had many sections of land to hunt and were even ready and willing to help load with a tractor.

It takes a high priority there but I would say that would be my first pick.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:10 PM

i'll check out the stats on that zone i know its early but it doesn't hurt to get the research done....thank you
Old 05-19-2019, 04:54 AM

I would say most of the zones on the east side of the province would be good. Decent population and landowners are generally happy to help out out with permission.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 AM

I find it interesting that with all the year round, unregulated hunting and poaching that the moose population is now much higher in the farmland areas, and the rack sizes very much bigger as well. When the moose on crown land are getting decimated every year I guess it is only natural that the best moose hunting is where they are somewhat protected from this, as well as from predators.

Close to Red Deer I would recommend the East side WMUs as well, particularity ones with larger rivers running through the area.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 AM

Default moose

My Alberta map with the B & C record book moose show none in Eastern part of Province. However with the enormous wolf, bear, cougar and hunter numbers in the western and northern zones we now have limited record book bulls left.
Although my hunting partner and I let a pair of 40 and 50 inch bulls walk away last fall west of Whitecourt.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

I was out checking my land out in 166 and was surprised to see moose. Seen plenty of deer found no sheds though so excited for up coming years hunting it
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
My Alberta map with the B & C record book moose show none in Eastern part of Province. However with the enormous wolf, bear, cougar and hunter numbers in the western and northern zones we now have limited record book bulls left.
Although my hunting partner and I let a pair of 40 and 50 inch bulls walk away last fall west of Whitecourt.
In zones I hunt I’ve noticed an the moose and elk populations growing great better then couple years ago
Old 05-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Banned

I wouldn’t think about going north because you’d be wasting your p10 when you could do that hunt with a p3-4
If you have horses then I’d think about hitting some of the hard to access zones along the foothills
You would have a chance at wainwright but...... it’s not like it used to be. Still good bulls but more competition and it’s either a 3 or 6 day hunt. So you have to be willing to shoot your p10 tag the first 5 min of day 1.
I’d look at a prairie zone with not a very high number of tags available and requires a lot of points. You have time before the draws have to be in.. do some google earth searching and go for a ride in the evenings or weekends.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Banned

Eastern zone moose rifle hunts have a shorter rifle season that doesn't coincide with the rut. Also, you'll be dealing with more other hunters, and getting permission.
My favorite moose hunts have been wandering around the foothills with a rifle during calling season.