Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Take it to Karl. He is the gunsmith for Wild West at West Edmonton Mall. German trained and he knows his Mausers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your offer of help but unfortunately I'm in the Okanagan.
Take it to either of these two, depending on which is closer to you.

MARTINI GUNMAKERS

TELEPHONE 250-428-3006

WE HAVE MOVED: 931 PETERMAN ROAD CRESTON BC. V0B 1G7 CANADA

Hagn Rifles & Actions
Email: hagnrifles@shaw.ca
Phone: (250)489-4861
Fax: (250)426-3039
P.O. BOX 444 Station Main
Cranbrook, British Columbia V1C4H9

Neither is cheap but both are excellent smiths for action and metal work. It will feed perfect when they are done with it. There are a couple of Smiths in Vernon. Kelowna and the like but have never had any work done by them so can't vouch for the quality of their work or their knowledge levels.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take it to either of these two, depending on which is closer to you.

MARTINI GUNMAKERS

TELEPHONE 250-428-3006

WE HAVE MOVED: 931 PETERMAN ROAD CRESTON BC. V0B 1G7 CANADA

Hagn Rifles & Actions
Email: hagnrifles@shaw.ca
Phone: (250)489-4861
Fax: (250)426-3039
P.O. BOX 444 Station Main
Cranbrook, British Columbia V1C4H9

Neither is cheap but both are excellent smiths for action and metal work. It will feed perfect when they are done with it. There are a couple of Smiths in Vernon. Kelowna and the like but have never had any work done by them so can't vouch for the quality of their work or their knowledge levels.
Thanks for the recommendations. A friend was over and we went over the bolt. He agreed with the suggestion that it appears that the underside of the extractor as well as the leading edge of it probably needs a little a touch up to allow the shell to slide in easier. I am hesitant to start taking any off it as knowing myself I'll probably make things worse. Would you happen to know if an extractor from one "mauser" style will inter change with with another? Looking online they all appear to be identical but I'm sure it couldn't be that easy.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. A friend was over and we went over the bolt. He agreed with the suggestion that it appears that the underside of the extractor as well as the leading edge of it probably needs a little a touch up to allow the shell to slide in easier. I am hesitant to start taking any off it as knowing myself I'll probably make things worse. Would you happen to know if an extractor from one "mauser" style will inter change with with another? Looking online they all appear to be identical but I'm sure it couldn't be that easy.
It may fit but might need finishing work...then you have 2 fubar extractors..Dean 2 gave you good advice, I have had work done by them and it is top drawer.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Spring

Had feeding problems with my prewar Winchester model 70 in .300H&H. Replaced the old follower spring with a new one from Brownells. Problem solved. A new stronger spring will hold the cartridges more firmly which will allow for proper feeding. Replacement spring is a cheap fix to try.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
My advice, take it to a good smith. I don't mean to be rude by any means but you clearly do not have the experience or skills to diagnose the issues properly, let alone fix them. You could easily do a whole bunch of work on the extractor only to find out it isn't the problem at all and that the recess in the face of the bolt is actually the problem, or that the feed rails or ramp is the issue. You can seriously mess up a very nice gun trying to save a 100 bucks.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My advice, take it to a good smith. I don't mean to be rude by any means but you clearly do not have the experience or skills to diagnose the issues properly, let alone fix them. You could easily do a whole bunch of work on the extractor only to find out it isn't the problem at all and that the recess in the face of the bolt is actually the problem, or that the feed rails or ramp is the issue. You can seriously mess up a very nice gun trying to save a 100 bucks.
You don't sound rude in the least and I agree with your assessment. I was just surprised that when I looked online that all the mauser extractors looked the same. I've never really had a close look at how they actually work and find the system quite intriguing. I know the rifle isn't worth that much but I have don't mind spending a few bucks to get it working as it should. Also I am curious to see how that old 2.5x8 weaver works after all these years as I've never even seen one with the adjustments on the bases and not on the scope itself.
As Creston isn't that far I'll probably head down that way and see if I can drop it off with Martini that you mentioned. I was looking for a reason to pick up a turkey licence anyways
Old 09-14-2019, 09:59 AM

Given that it is hunting season you mat have to leave it with him for quite a while. Any good smith tends to be REALLY backed up this time of year. If it were me I think I might phone him first to make sure he has room to store the gun till he can get to it, or just when he can take it in. Best of luck, the BSAs are good shooting guns, they made a lot of military and sniper rifles for quite a long time (they produced over half of all the small arms used by England in WW2), and their sporter models make excellent hunting rifles.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.