Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This has been a very interesting thread. Thanks all for the info provided. Water tank, furnace, ac and all appliances are already high efficiency. Water heater runs the in floor heat in the basement as well as providing hot water. May try the blower/envelope test to see if there are any major leaks. We lived in one house that was actually too air tight. Ended up needing to have some work done to fix that issue.

This house doesn't have that problem but it also now has pretty low utility Bill's for the size of house. To me it is like EZM said, it is more about having a comfortable house than ROI. Problem with trying to save money on utilities is the water, electrical or gas cost are such a small part of the total bill the only way to change it much and get any return would be to figure out how to get off the grid for electricity and gas at least. Outside of that you still have the huge levies, distribution fees etc.

Don't do the blower door test. If your house is seal up so tight it can't breathe you'll get mold issues. The blower door test is good for homes about 15+ years. Anything newer it isn't necessary... unless of course you bought a house not built to current codes.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Don't do the blower door test. If your house is seal up so tight it can't breathe you'll get mold issues. The blower door test is good for homes about 15+ years. Anything newer it isn't necessary... unless of course you bought a house not built to current codes.
And if you DO the blower door test, you'll be able to tell where a potential huge leak is. Nothing says with a blower door test you have to seal every little nook and cranny. For peace of mind it's a cheap way to see if perhaps the builder forgot to seal one spot OR might have completely forgotten to insulate a certain area. Believe it or not it happens.

To each their own.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
And if you DO the blower door test, you'll be able to tell where a potential huge leak is. Nothing says with a blower door test you have to seal every little nook and cranny. For peace of mind it's a cheap way to see if perhaps the builder forgot to seal one spot OR might have completely forgotten to insulate a certain area. Believe it or not it happens.

To each their own.
A blower test won't show you if you're missing insulation from your walls. A temperature gun or infra red/ thermal imaging camera will do that.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:10 AM

ANYTHING that you can do YOUR SELVE, my mother in law decided to do her bathroom and she spent $16,000.00 on it, this is not to say that tradesmen are not worth it, because they know when to do it and why. What I am saying is I took my walls to the studs and put in marble in the shower encloser and I still got away with $4000.00. And that was brand new everything. Now it took me a week longer, but.