Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Wanna do something nice for a young Hutterite Hunter?

Hi guys. Reading all the BS about those vegans invading a Hutterite farm in Southern Alberta, I thought of a small way to counter the stupidity. On opening weekend, Pixel Shooter and I hunted at a colony east of Edmonton and stayed overnight with them, as I have an older fellow who is good friends with all of them. Anyhow, we were joined on our hunt by a young Hutterite who was on his first goose hunt. As Hutterites do not get a paycheque, he had worked some odd jobs for neighboring farmers, after his work on the colony was done, to earn some cash to buy an old pump shotgun, a licence, and some shells. He was in 7th heaven on that hunt. He sat next to me and the smile on his face couldn't be wiped off with bleach.

I thought it would be a great thing to put out the word for forum members who may have waterfowl/hunting stuff they do not use, or is cluttering the garage, to donate to this young guy. I am going to refinish his shotgun for him this winter as it is a Model 1200 that has seen better days (it is a full choke that also needs to be opened up so he can shoot steel safely, but I didn't want to rain on his parade with that just yet). If there are decoys, an old layout blind, camo clothing, calls etc... that you'd be willing to part with, I can pick it up if you are in the Edmonton area. Of course, I will take pics, and post them when I drive out to present him with the stuff, lest you think I am stocking my shelves. LOL.

I think this would be an awesome way to show our support of Hutterites in general, and particularly a young father who has caught the waterfowl bug.

Instead of sending PMs, just chime in on this thread. I will get back to you via pm.

BTW, he is a size Large.

Thanks for reading.

Finally, do not post negative stuff in any fashion, as some already have felt the urgent need to do. I am not looking for a discussion, I am trying to do something nice for a good young man, and looking for stuff that is gathering dust, and is of no use to people anymore. If you think it is a stupid idea, move on. But do not post all your reasons this is a bad idea as some have already felt the need to do. It will be treated as a troll post if you do.

Last edited by sns2; 09-13-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM

I think I have boxes of 12 ga #4 he is welcome to. Decoys are long gone sorry

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM

I don't have anything to give away, and am too far away anyways. Regardless, this is a great idea. This is something that he's likely never going to forget. Being able to have that impact on someone is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have.

I wonder if a small go fund me (or similar) would be useful. Anyways, good on you!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Great Idea. Not sure what happened to my first post. Must have been a restart to the thread or something. What size of camo clothing do you think for your Hutterite friend would fit into? Is his shotgun good for 3” or just 2 3/4” shells? I may have an old coffin layout blind but it’s back in Sask and not sure when I will be back that way. I left a bunch of stuff there at my old man’s when I moved out to AB last fall. Post up here if you get a blind for him. If nothing pops up before I’m back to Sask I will make sure to bring that one back.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 PM

I have a few boxes of 12 g steel for him and likely more stuff
Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I have a few boxes of 12 g steel for him and likely more stuff
Thanks, man! I will PM you when I start to gather stuff up
Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Great Idea. Not sure what happened to my first post. Must have been a restart to the thread or something. What size of camo clothing do you think for your Hutterite friend would fit into? Is his shotgun good for 3” or just 2 3/4” shells? I may have an old coffin layout blind but it’s back in Sask and not sure when I will be back that way. I left a bunch of stuff there at my old man’s when I moved out to AB last fall. Post up here if you get a blind for him. If nothing pops up before I’m back to Sask I will make sure to bring that one back.
Thanks. Will do!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:33 PM

Got some bran new Remington shotgun cleaner spray I'll never use and a bran new 12 ga hoppes bore snake still in the plastic

Good for a quick cleaning anyways I 'm in morinville but I'll be coming into city tomorrow
Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 PM

I live too far away from you, but will consider doing the same thing for a young man from a certain colony from Fort MacLeod.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 PM

I've got some 12 gauge lead 6's and 4's, steel 2 and BB, and lots of 20 g target 7.5 handloads if it helps S. A couple of duck and goose calls he's welcome to as well.

Gave away an older Browning Auto 5 in real nice condition not 2 weeks ago I'd have been happy to pass on. Needed the room and it was collecting dust. Dang. Rather he'd had it.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:50 PM

AWESOME support
helping and reaching out is great
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM

So would it have to be black camo?
Old 09-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I've got some 12 gauge lead 6's and 4's, steel 2 and BB, and lots of 20 g target 7.5 handloads if it helps S. A couple of duck and goose calls he's welcome to as well.

Gave away an older Browning Auto 5 in real nice condition not 2 weeks ago I'd have been happy to pass on. Needed the room and it was collecting dust. Dang. Rather he'd had it.
Shoot, that would have been really nice. As it is, the 2s and BBs, and calls would be warmly received.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Wanna do something.

Which colony is he from? Might be able to round up a shoot for him if he is in my area.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:25 PM

I see there is a Stevens 320 in 12 ga for sale here for the Edmonton area. I will buy it for him if you think it is appropriate and are willing to look after the details.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=369356

Gerry

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 PM

I have a few calls I can donate, zink and foiles and a Tim grounds snow call but I live down on the border and can’t get to town for a few weeks to send them.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a couple of these things he can have, if there's a way to get them to him.

If not, they are available to any beginning hunter that can pick them up.

They are in Hawk Hills now but I can deliver them to Grimshaw this coming weekend or to Grande Prairie next month. October 20 to 22 I believe.

George Bernard Shaw