Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Escaping the cold...

Every winter this happens...I start thinking that next year I gotta go on vacation during winter to break up the monotony a bit. Problem is I have no idea where I would want to go. Most people's description of their vacation leaves me feeling like it would be a terrible waste of money. I don't drink, gamble or enjoy swimming around in other people's pizzwater, so that seems to restrict the options somewhat. Wife won't go to Mexico after watching Narco's lol, and honestly besides seeing the Mayan ruins or fishing I don't think it holds much interest for me. I'm considering going to Vegas for SHOT show next year, spend a couple days there while the wife sees some shows, then maybe head out and do some sightseeing. That's the best I can come up with so far.

What are you guys doing? Anyone go someplace nicer and just get an AirBnB or Vrbo? Thought about doing that in Florida or some place like that where I can just spend the days fishing quietly somewhere, or if I'm lucky maybe even a little bow hunting...any suggestions on what to look into?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM

Catch a cheap flight to Vegas and rent a car head South to lake Havesu and then onto Yuma walk across the border to Algodones for a taste of Mexico head west to the salton sea then on to San Diego for the ship museum and Balboa park head North on the ocean highway then East towards oatman on old route 66 and back to Vegas.
Lake Havesu fishing golf and sightseeing lots of swap meets
Yuma lots of the West and the old prison
Algodones small Mexican town not too much crime lots of cheap stuff to haggle over
San Diego great seafood check out the whales and a real aircraft carrier, submarines to crawl through spend a day touring museums in Balboa park
Oatman is an old west gold mining town the old route 66 is fun to go over

Lots of good priced motels along the way or rent a condo in Havesu go fishing and play golf in Parker, not a busy place
Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 PM

I read your post

I wish I could help. Mexico is beautiful though. I hope you go to Japan sometime too, unless she saw “Godzilla”. Lol
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Greece

We went early March and avoided the crowds. Chilly at night around 10C and 20-25C during the day. (Perfect for me, I don’t do well at 30-40C)

We did an AirBnb in Athens and then flew to Santorini and did the cliff side hotels and it was amazing.

Good prices, great food and amazing people.

One of the trips I regret not taking our daughter.

Last edited by Indy; 02-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Go to Fabutan, hit up a tanning bed with some Beach Boys music cranked in the ol ear buds....
Old 02-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Sounds like your looking for something a bit more. I’ve done a bit of travelling to central and South America. It was a great experience. Colombia is now safe and tourism is coming back in a big way. Ecuador is so diverse you can be on a warm beach one day and a few hour later up in the Andes. I’ll probably do Chile or Peru next. Time zones are comparable, your money goes farther, and if you like to learn and see some work class museums you will love it.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Kerala, west coast of southern India

Beaches and palm trees...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Greece

We went early March and avoided the crowds. Chilly at night around 10C and 20-25C during the day. (Perfect for me, I don’t do well at 30-40C)

We did an AirBnb in Athens and then flew to Santorini and did the cliff side hotels and it was amazing.

Good prices, great food and amazing people.

One of the trips I regret not taking our daughter.
x2
End of March/Early April incredible wildflowers hiking out to the sea 16km through the Samaria Gorge on Crete.

Old Hippie Commune where the Roman Legionnaires buried their dead at Matala in the caves on the beach

Ferry to Santorini from Iraklion. Good beer in Santorini made from grape skins. Camel and Oyster mushroom dinner

I am ready to go back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samar.jpg (129.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Matala-16.jpg (82.6 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by omega50; 02-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 PM

https://www.santorinibrewingcompany.gr/beers

Slow Donkey made with wine skins

Back on Crete-Favorite hotel in Panormo my favorite sleepy village- They close the main road in town every night and the restaurants pull tables onto the street for dinner.
Some restaurants walk you into the kitchen and lift lids on the cooking pots and you just point at what you want to eat,
Grills in the back of the restaurants cooking over Olive Wood

https://www.villakynthia.gr/en/

Last edited by omega50; 02-09-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Go to Fabutan, hit up a tanning bed with some Beach Boys music cranked in the ol ear buds....
Omg! That was me in ‘85!!!! My walkman on a chair just outside the tanning bed.........

I-I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair........
Old 02-10-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Omg! That was me in ‘85!!!! My walkman on a chair just outside the tanning bed.........

I-I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair........
Yes!!!! Lol
Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 AM

She’s a cold son bitch in the patch tonight boys!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
She’s a cold son bitch in the patch tonight boys!
I bet it is, but I also bet it's better than being home in a nice warm bed waiting for the EI cheque to arrive like 1,000's of other patch workers

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I bet it is, but I also bet it's better than being home in a nice warm bed waiting for the EI cheque to arrive like 1,000's of other patch workers
Yes sir
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM

I’d reccomend some sort of volunteering trip. I really enjoy going to Haiti and helping out for a while. That really gives more purpose to the trip besides just wasting money!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
I’d reccomend some sort of volunteering trip. I really enjoy going to Haiti and helping out for a while. That really gives more purpose to the trip besides just wasting money!
Yes the OP better get on that quick, I'm sure that plane is filling up fast....lol
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 AM

I agree with the waste of money. We really enjoy Hawaii but 2-3 weeks goes by in an instant, the cost of going plus no income for the time spent there means i am in no rush to go anymore.
We arent going anywhere the last couple years because of the dollar. Most everything in the states is more expensive then add another 35% on top and Weiner water soup is on the menu. Pass.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We arent going anywhere the last couple years because of the dollar. Most everything in the states is more expensive then add another 35% on top and Weiner water soup is on the menu. Pass.
That's the kicker for me as well, 5 years ago when the dollar was almost at par we could rent a condo for $1400 for month split with another couple was affordable add 35% for gas, food and everything else makes it tough.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:04 AM

My daughter was backpacking in SE Asia last year and after I got a tripadvisor email about the #1 hotel in the world we booked her one night there as a surprise. Viroth's Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia. http://viroth-hotel.com/

Palm trees, pool, 5 star service, airport pickup in a vintage Rolls Royce, all for about $175CDN.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Been out of the cold for 18 mo now, no regrets.
35 c here now, the coldest it gets in Au winter is aprx 10c.
Return to normality will come some day tho.

TBark
Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I agree with the waste of money. We really enjoy Hawaii but 2-3 weeks goes by in an instant, the cost of going plus no income for the time spent there means i am in no rush to go anymore.
Bought a house in Arizona 10 years ago and spent every winter there until this winter, had nothing to do with the 35% exchange rate, I'd gladly pay it to get out of this cold, my leukemia flared up big time in Nov and Dec, started treatment just after the new year and can't get insurance coverage, it is what it is I knew when I was diagnosed 4 years ago that this day was coming, and it sure made me appreciate the winters we did get to spend there, the house down there is sold now and will do what we have to here, one day at a time and who knows maybe in a couple years we can do it again, I have learned to appreciate every day wherever I am.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Wow thanks guys, sounds like there's some interesting places to visit out there! The Mediterranean has interested me for a while, but always wondered how it would work getting around without being able to speak the language. South America, specifically Argentina and Chile seem like they would be awesome, same language problems though, and I would have to find some real good drugs to make it through the flight. 3-4 hours is about my limits, but I imagine the long flights use larger planes maybe?

I envy the people who can just go off to different parts of the world and play it by ear, figuring it out as they go. I'm always worried about how I'll get around and figure out what to do next, maybe its something you just have to get used to.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Wow thanks guys, sounds like there's some interesting places to visit out there! The Mediterranean has interested me for a while, but always wondered how it would work getting around without being able to speak the language. South America, specifically Argentina and Chile seem like they would be awesome, same language problems though, and I would have to find some real good drugs to make it through the flight. 3-4 hours is about my limits, but I imagine the long flights use larger planes maybe?

I envy the people who can just go off to different parts of the world and play it by ear, figuring it out as they go. I'm always worried about how I'll get around and figure out what to do next, maybe its something you just have to get used to.
Often larger planes, but the same legroom!

I once had a flight to Maui in a 767 (can hold about 300 people) with about 20 passengers. That was the best flight ever. Everyone could just stretch across as many seats as they wanted. The few people with kids stayed up front, adults in the back. Awesome!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Some of the suggestions do make a person want to travel a bit. I always figured Micronesia or French Polynesia would be a memorable holiday.

I know one couple that went to the Fiji islands a few years a go and approached the consulate there about staying on one of the uninhabited islands. The consulate gave them permission but also told them they were on their own. A boat transported them to a little island and the boat came once a week to bring them basic supplies. They stayed for 6 weeks. There were no problems with pirates or any serious weather.

My idea of escaping the cold is a hotspring in the mountains.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM

How would you get to SHOT Show, are you in the firearms industry? I understand that its not simply open to the public or it would be too much of a gong show to manage with all the looky-loo's that would show up.

We enjoyed the Dominican Republic about a decade back, we were at a resort near Puerto Plata.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Every winter this happens...I start thinking that next year I gotta go on vacation during winter to break up the monotony a bit. Problem is I have no idea where I would want to go. Most people's description of their vacation leaves me feeling like it would be a terrible waste of money. I don't drink, gamble or enjoy swimming around in other people's pizzwater, so that seems to restrict the options somewhat. Wife won't go to Mexico after watching Narco's lol, and honestly besides seeing the Mayan ruins or fishing I don't think it holds much interest for me. I'm considering going to Vegas for SHOT show next year, spend a couple days there while the wife sees some shows, then maybe head out and do some sightseeing. That's the best I can come up with so far.

What are you guys doing? Anyone go someplace nicer and just get an AirBnB or Vrbo? Thought about doing that in Florida or some place like that where I can just spend the days fishing quietly somewhere, or if I'm lucky maybe even a little bow hunting...any suggestions on what to look into?
Do you guys Golf? Shopping high on the list? Enjoy museums? So many fun things to do that don't have to be about the beach. Go travelling, dont go on Vacation.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

The wife found a 10 nights in a nice hotel trip to Dubai, $3600 total for 2.

Anyone been? Worth going or do you need to take out a mortgage to do anything there?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Anyone been? Worth going or do you need to take out a mortgage to do anything there?
What is the size of your credit card? If it’s 8”x12” - then you are good to go. Anything smaller than that - you will be eating pita bread and hummus for 10 days, lol!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Come to my place and work on some of my chores.
The travel costs will be less.
If you want to help an unfortunate soul in the developing world, pay one of his countrymen to work on his house. Helps the guy, and the economy down there.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Perfect place to take a female partner. Be sure to visit the human rights museum while you're there!