Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Sylvan lake

Fished Sylvan yesterday for the first time in many yrs. Was at the boat launch on the NW end and while returning to dock the F&W officer was checking two guys who had just came off the water in their inflatable. Had a cooler which he looked into and low and behold damned if it wasn't full of walleye.

Looked like 10 to 15 to me. He bagged them, put em in his truck and proceeded to write tickets. The two guys looked at me and just grinned like it was no big deal. I am not going to ratial pro file anyone here but this goes on way too many times.

I said keep up the good work to the officer as I left and was hopeful that maybe just maybe this might get those two to consider the rules. Doubt it but it is what it is.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:25 AM

They got caught, good!

Maybe this was their first offense. You're just speculating. I'm sure with repeat offences this could get a whole lot worse for them. As in big fines, confiscating equipment and loss of licenses.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Wife talked with a CO in the winter about walleye and they pretty much said it's a $1000 fine per walleye...so they could have a nice fine on there hands..
Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Tks for posting .... if i was the Judge they would loose their gear, boat & vehicle and make them walk home then they would get a $10K fine or jail time and loose their fishing privileges for 10 years .... plus the AB Govt would post their pictures & fines in the next edition of the Fishing Reg's Under "Poachers Corner", to deter others, that's what they deserve.

Judge Z-z

Old 06-21-2020, 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=Zip-in-Z;4190435]Tks for posting .... if i was the Judge they would loose their gear, boat & vehicle and make them walk home then they would get a $10K fine or jail time and loose their fishing privileges for 10 years .... plus the AB Govt would post their pictures & fines in the next edition of the Fishing Reg's Under "Poachers Corner", to deter others, that's what they deserve.

Judge Z-z

X2 Zip! Stiffer penalties needed for these kinds of violations, no reason whatsoever for it. Acts like this cripple a fishery very quickly and ruin it for everyone else. Maybe some signage stating fines and penalties at launches would make people think twice, my two cents.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I wish we had a few more catch & keep in the southern lakes, but I'd way prefer the way it is where there's actually fish available for C&R. Want fish for the kids & grandkids. Hope the poachers really get fined heavily & no fishing licence for a few years!!
Old 06-22-2020, 04:54 PM

Walleye poaching happens all too often at sylvan. I would have thought with the new regulations on the walleye that these cases would grind to a halt but I guess people get greedy or are just too full of themselves to follow the regulations.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Fished Sylvan yesterday for the first time in many yrs. Was at the boat launch on the NW end and while returning to dock the F&W officer was checking two guys who had just came off the water in their inflatable. Had a cooler which he looked into and low and behold damned if it wasn't full of walleye.

Looked like 10 to 15 to me. He bagged them, put em in his truck and proceeded to write tickets. The two guys looked at me and just grinned like it was no big deal. I am not going to ratial pro file anyone here but this goes on way too many times.

I said keep up the good work to the officer as I left and was hopeful that maybe just maybe this might get those two to consider the rules. Doubt it but it is what it is.

Sounds like the same guys who got busted at the Sunbreaker Cove boat launch when I was there a couple of weeks ago. If it was a black raft towed by an SUV. Apparently these guys are repeat offenders and fish there almost every day. It was my first couple times fishing there and they were there both days, and got ticketed and their fish confiscated the second day we launched. Disgusting bunch of pigs!