Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 AM

Default Anyone takes his quad for quick spin in the city?

Just wondering did anyone used his dirtbike or quad to go in a store grab a cigaretes or something i was just wondering do people do that here or no?I took my quad for a quick spin downtown couple times when i was bored
Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Banned

Let me know how much the ticket is. I often wondered about that.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default Free in South America

In Mancora Peru which is a town of around twenty thousand and is a surfing hippy type hangout loaded with tourists from everywhere coupled with lots of private houses on the coast from the Lima elite, everything goes.

You see motocross bikes and quads going shopping all the time. No plates. Just go. Right along the PanAmericana highway route connecting to Ecuador.

You can see photos of the area if your curious at

www.vivamancora.com

Click to English language.

The waves that are in Hawaii arrive on that coast seven days later.

I rip up and down that northern coastline with either my Can Am 450 DSX or the old double cylinder two stroke twin pipe Banshee. You can go for 20 km runs chasing the waves in and out on perfect sand beaches. Water temp 22 C. Freedom.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 AM

Got buddies in elkford, guys do it there all the time....
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Years ago we were having a bush party of about 30 people. Was only about 2 miles out of Edmonton at the time and a buddy lived about about 3 blocks from the edge of town and sledded it, winter. He started on his way and a cop saw him and started chaseing him. That cop followed him through fields for about 15 mins till he finnaly got stuck in his regular cruiser, snow was too deep in one spot. Dumb azz cop trying to catch a sled in a field in the winter without a 4X4. LOL.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Ok, I'll bite... I ride a dual sport motorcycle so yeah, I do ride trails, commute to work, and go for milk on the same machine. In a few Alaskan towns I've been through the use of quads for around town commuting was very common.

In the small town I live in now we are sort of unofficially allowed to ride ATV's in town so long as we are riding in a responsible manner on our way out of town or back to our homes... the type of use many are talking about in this thread is the sort of thing that gets those privileges taken away...
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 AM

no problem.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Default exactly

Deffinatly with moosnuckle on this one, dual sport bikes are the best invention since sliced bread. Heres some footage of me tearing up the sand dunes on "Greasy Lighting".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfgx9QaYTY

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-11-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM

When I first moved to Fort McMurray over 35 years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see atvs or snowmobiles at a service station, but these days the penalty is a huge fine, and the atv/snowmobile is impounded for a while. Even getting caught cleaning the sidewalks with a blade on an atv will being the same penalty. A few idiots still take the risk to ride in city limits, but most people are smarter than to take the risk.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM

I live on 153 ave 66st and would take my quad from the house to my sisters in namao. But this is the way to do it now dual purpose.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 AM

Here it is with the street tires
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM

I see quads and side×sides sitting at timmies in cold lake quite often.

Mack
Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Here in Yellowknife you can drive a snowmobile, quad, side by side, etc... around town on trails and on the street. There are a few blocks downtown that are not permitted.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM

It should be legal, so there would be no need to sneak around like some sort of criminal.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Banned

Yep, I have driven the small john deere and even the small quad up and down the alley and to the park a block from home, but only to give my grandson a ride or just to test if it is running right.
Wouldn't make a habit of it though.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM

I have wondered about this as I know I have to register my quad to drive on public land.

Can't remember if insurance is required or not for public land?

I do have insurance though (just checked) so it makes me wonder if you have registration and insurance - why can't you drive a quad in the city again?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Simply because they are Off Road Vehicles and don't meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I have wondered about this as I know I have to register my quad to drive on public land.

Can't remember if insurance is required or not for public land?

I do have insurance though (just checked) so it makes me wonder if you have registration and insurance - why can't you drive a quad in the city again?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:26 PM

What would need to be done to get a SxS street legal. Assuming you have valid license, ins., and registration. Would you just need all the standard operating eq. (Lights, signals, horn, etc. ) Could it be done? We kicked this idea around camp, but no one was sure.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Simply because they are Off Road Vehicles and don't meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Act.
Nor do many pieces of construction equipment that operate on public roads daily. I am yet to see a skidsteer, for example, with signal lights or brake lights.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_ker View Post
What would need to be done to get a SxS street legal. Assuming you have valid license, ins., and registration. Would you just need all the standard operating eq. (Lights, signals, horn, etc. ) Could it be done? We kicked this idea around camp, but no one was sure.
Not really sure, a few years back they didn't fall under the category of a motorcycle, or an automobile and it was sort of understandable I guess... but now with all these gay 3 wheeled things that are street legal I don't know what the problem would be with a side by side running DOT tires and proper lighting.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Nor do many pieces of construction equipment that operate on public roads daily. I am yet to see a skidsteer, for example, with signal lights or brake lights.
Atvs/snowmobiles generally get banned fro operating in city limits because of a few idiots riding them at 70-100km/hr on city streets. And then when the police or bylaw show up, they usually run from them. That usually isn't an issue with construction equipment.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Road maintenance and other heavy equipment falls under a different designation, and in some municipalities a pilot vehicle is needed as well.
Cat
Old 01-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Atvs/snowmobiles generally get banned fro operating in city limits because of a few idiots riding them at 70-100km/hr on city streets. And then when the police or bylaw show up, they usually run from them. That usually isn't an issue with construction equipment.
Yeah, I suspect that this is more of the issue than any thing else. Snowmobiles, ATV's and law enforcement have more or less been at odds since they were invented. Thus they are not street legal while bizzare machines like the Slingshot etc somehow are.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 PM

I live on Jasper av downtown Edmonton. i use my quad just for hunting got 2009 outlander 800cc but went shopping with it in save on foods on 109st couple days ago when there was lots of snow on the roads i was bored took the plates of in case they show up its easy to leave them in dust anyway i am selling my quad now i just want a toy now like 250 2 stroke dirtbike or 450 or some sport bike something that i will abuse! this quad is all stock never abused it or mudded it i tried to reach top speed here but not enought space...Yeah i was just wondering because back home i used to ride with my friends on dirbikes we would just go for a spin it was fun! so i was just wondering is there any moto club like that or something
Old 01-11-2016, 01:21 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=108715

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 01-11-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oh I am well aware of that. I was simply pointing out that other equipment operates without the required equipment. I agree that most people running equipment won't run from the police, however when they do it is usually quite a spectacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Road maintenance and other heavy equipment falls under a different designation, and in some municipalities a pilot vehicle is needed as well.
Cat
I disagree. Most road maintenance equipment like graders, loaders, plow-trucks etc do in fact have proper lighting and required equipment for on-highway operation. My point was that if a skidsteer is allowed on public roads I see no reason that a sxs couldn't.

I agree. Some people that do not have a current driver's license, operate this equipment up and down our roads as it does not require a driver's license to operate it. Much like agricultural equipment. You can run it down a hwy without a driver's license, or suspended license for that matter. (At least back in Sask it was like that, not actually 100% sure it is the same in AB but I would bet it is.)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewHunter View Post
I live on Jasper av downtown Edmonton. i use my quad just for hunting got 2009 outlander 800cc but went shopping with it in save on foods on 109st couple days ago when there was lots of snow on the roads i was bored took the plates of in case they show up its easy to leave them in dust anyway i am selling my quad now i just want a toy now like 250 2 stroke dirtbike or 450 or some sport bike something that i will abuse! this quad is all stock never abused it or mudded it i tried to reach top speed here but not enought space...Yeah i was just wondering because back home i used to ride with my friends on dirbikes we would just go for a spin it was fun! so i was just wondering is there any moto club like that or something
And this right here is why quads will never be street legal... this is also why the small towns that tolerate the minimal and responsible use of ATV's are starting to crack down... a big thank you from all the responsible ATV owners that get lumped in with people like you.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Oh I am well aware of that. I was simply pointing out that other equipment operates without the required equipment. I agree that most people running equipment won't run from the police, however when they do it is usually quite a spectacle.

I disagree. Most road maintenance equipment like graders, loaders, plow-trucks etc do in fact have proper lighting and required equipment for on-highway operation. My point was that if a skidsteer is allowed on public roads I see no reason that a sxs couldn't.

I agree. Some people that do not have a current driver's license, operate this equipment up and down our roads as it does not require a driver's license to operate it. Much like agricultural equipment. You can run it down a hwy without a driver's license, or suspended license for that matter. (At least back in Sask it was like that, not actually 100% sure it is the same in AB but I would bet it is.)
You missed it completely.
Road maintenance equipment is exactly that - equipment used to maintain roads , to excavate, move dirt or snow, etc., not bus over to the grocery store or go for a rip along a boulevard.
If a company had a plow on a quad or SXS with proper lighting etc I do not know if a municipality would issue a permit or not.
I know of a person who had a lawn maintenance company and had a permit to run his riding mower on the streets in town, but I think he needed to get the permit before they allowed him to do that.
Cat
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Outfit your SXS with legal lighting, get it plated and insured for the road. Until then, SXS's and quads have no place on public highways. They are no different than someone driving an uninsured, unlicenced truck.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Here it is with the street tires
That looks like WAY too much fun.