Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Default Elk tactics

For alk the guys asking for where can I find an Elk / don't give me your spot just tell me where I can start looking. Here's some advice. Elk hunting is hard it takes patience and hard work. So here's my tips ( understand I don't hunt mountain ranges so classing is not a method I use)

#1 locate an area that has Elk close to home. This is important because it's rarely a drive out Saturday morning / shoot / load / head home type of deal. It takes hours of scouting to find if the area has Elk population.
In areas of high pressure you need to focus your efforts on the places no one wants to go. If you can drive/quad in the Elk probably won't hang around once hunting pressie increases, but often just off of these easy spots are the toughest blowdown nastiest bush patches that a you could imagine. Often times within earshot of roads or trails. Elk will bed in these areas in relative safety. ( tip if it's warm look on the north facing hill sides) use Google maps to locate prospective areas to scout/ hunt.

#2 practice your calling. Spend hours perfecting your sounds. Try to use mouth reeds instead of commercial bugles and bite down calls. The sounds you can make with the reed will be unique and can put inflection and feeling into your call instead of the simple meeyou that often sounds more like a duck than an Elk. Along with learning how to make good Elk sounds dedicate time to learn what the Elk are saying when they make sounds. I should go into huge detail here but I would suggest you look up Elk Nut in the app store and down load his app. Well worth the money if you want to learn to speak Elk.
Calling IMO is the most important part in punching your Elk tag so make sure to spend the time to get it right!

#3 tactics...
Early season ( late Aug/early Sept) start getting into the area you have selected well before light and start locate bugleing. Once a bull is located understand what he is saying by his responds and react accordingly. Close the distance and using all your Elk knowledge call him to you for the harvest
Mid season ( mid Sept to late Oct) locate bugleing might not get much response but your listening for ANY sound that a bull will make to give away his location ( it's not always a bugle...learn ALL the sounds Elk make and what they mean) once a bull is located use your knowledge and sounds to call him to you for the harvest.
Late season ( late Oct to late Nov) is when tracking and cutting trails is used. Bull Elk will usually be alone at this time so learn how to identify a bull from a cow track. There are tones of tricks here. Did the track go wide around a tree or right up beside? Learn how to track that's all I'm going to say. It takes time and there's tones of resources out there to help you learn. Plan to walk a pile of clicks around in a loop looking to cut tracks once on a track use your bushcraft skill to cut distance. A straight line track means the Elk is heading somewhere so you can speed on your pursuit. Once the tracks start meandering around it usually means its looking to bed. Go SLOW use your optics. once really close, calling techniques can be used to get a shot.

Tips
Elk usually feed at night and head back to bedding by first light. By 9:30 or so they are likely in their bed for the day. Bulls will bed close to water as they need to get up and water a few times during the day and won't want to expose themselves while doing it. They don't always bed in the same spots. By last light they are usually heading to their night time feeding area.

Elk usually act out of 2 major needs. staying alive, And food. Breeding is a fairly short time frame in their year but a smart hunter will exploit that time to their advantage. If you can't hunt the rut their are other ways to get it done.
Bulls usually put staying alive above everything else and pic their bedding areas based on this premises. Don't expect it to be easy to get to them!! They will pic the best feed available in the area based on security. Locate these spots and put leather to dirt

I am a 100% self taught hunter ( first in my family) I put in the time to learn the skills and sought out resources that have helped make me successful at filling tags. Anyone can learn this stuff and be successful thou just need to make it a priority to learn.

I can't recommend the Elk nut app enough as a resource for calling sounds and sequences.

There is a pile more info that could be talked about and I'm sure there are guys on this board with other proven tactics and tips.
Who knows maybe this will become a sticky for all the Elk hunting info / tactics

One last tip. Learn how to do a nervous grunt. It's the best sound for locking a bull up to get that shot.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:25 AM

From one self taught hunter to another: On one hand I commend you for sharing your hard earned knowledge on a public forum. But on the other hand I have to ask why you would share this HARD EARNED knowledge on a public forum? Personally I have lived and breathed elk hunting 365 days a year for the last decade, and only the last few do I feel confident that I will kill a bull every year. Im not calling you out by the way, just asking why make it easier for everyone? Only going to make it harder for yourself lol... Anyways good luck to you and everyone else for the rest of the season. Shoot straight!!
Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
From one self taught hunter to another: On one hand I commend you for sharing your hard earned knowledge on a public forum. But on the other hand I have to ask why you would share this HARD EARNED knowledge on a public forum? Personally I have lived and breathed elk hunting 365 days a year for the last decade, and only the last few do I feel confident that I will kill a bull every year. Im not calling you out by the way, just asking why make it easier for everyone? Only going to make it harder for yourself lol... Anyways good luck to you and everyone else for the rest of the season. Shoot straight!!
Some hunters like to share their knowledge
Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Dude I get your question. I enjoy helping others. I HATE MOOCHES. I have two hunting obsessions Elk and Coyotes. I live eat and breath hunting both and have spent almost two decades learning how to call/ hunt them. I love helping other people achieving success on both these species. I HATE being treated as a guide without pay. Guys asking me to take them to get their Elk.
I have no problem teaching someone how to call or track. But I'll be darned if I do it for them. I have no affiliation with any one or product I am not a guide or outfitter. If you are willing to put in the work you can have success. Some people just don't have any idea where to start so they come on here and say.....I've been tromping around for 4 seasons and havent seen anything where should I go to het an Elk? My advice and tips can give these guys a starting point.
Don't bother even trying if you can't make good Elk sounds.
Don't bother if you haven't done you're own e scouting or be willing to hike back in and work..
If any one punches a tag because of my advice here it will be because THEY put in the effort. All I am trying to do is give them a starting point. The rest is up to them.
It won't make it harder for me to punch my tag because there will still be Elk out there and if they are there its possible to tag them

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Dude I get your question. I enjoy helping others. I HATE MOOCHES. I have two hunting obsessions Elk and Coyotes. I live eat and breath hunting both and have spent almost two decades learning how to call/ hunt them. I love helping other people achieving success on both these species. I HATE being treated as a guide without pay. Guys asking me to take them to get their Elk
I have no problem teaching someone how to call or track. But I'll be darned if I do it for them. I have no affiliation with any one or product I am not a guide or outfitter. If you are willing to put in the work you can have success. Some people just don't have any idea where to start so they come on here and say.....I've been tromping around for 4 seasons and havent seen anything where should I go to het an Elk? My advice and tips can give these guys a starting point. Don't bother even trying if you can't mage Elk sounds. Don't bother if you haven't done you're own e scouting or be willing to hike back in and work.. If any one punches a tag because of my advice here it will be because THEY put in the effort. All in trying to do is give them a starting point. The rest is to to them.
It won't make it harder for me to punch my tag because there will still.be Elk out there and if they are there its possible to tag them
Thanks for posting obsessed1. All good information you are sharing.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Dude I get your question. I enjoy helping others. I HATE MOOCHES. I have two hunting obsessions Elk and Coyotes. I live eat and breath hunting both and have spent almost two decades learning how to call/ hunt them. I love helping other people achieving success on both these species. I HATE being treated as a guide without pay. Guys asking me to take them to get their Elk.
I have no problem teaching someone how to call or track. But I'll be darned if I do it for them. I have no affiliation with any one or product I am not a guide or outfitter. If you are willing to put in the work you can have success. Some people just don't have any idea where to start so they come on here and say.....I've been tromping around for 4 seasons and havent seen anything where should I go to het an Elk? My advice and tips can give these guys a starting point.
Don't bother even trying if you can't make good Elk sounds.
Don't bother if you haven't done you're own e scouting or be willing to hike back in and work..
If any one punches a tag because of my advice here it will be because THEY put in the effort. All I am trying to do is give them a starting point. The rest is up to them.
It won't make it harder for me to punch my tag because there will still be Elk out there and if they are there its possible to tag them

I agree with you 100%, you are right and good on you for trying to teach others. I posted almost exactly the same info on a thread here a few years back. But it never decreased the "elk help" threads.. the info is out there for guys to learn if they search for it and want to be serious elk hunters, trouble is they only think about hunting elk for a few weeks of the year during september lol. They couldnt be bothered to put in the dedication, time and effort it takes to better themselves at calling, scouting, physical conditioning or learning elk behaviour. And Im fine with that because all it means is less competition, pressure, and educated elk for me to hunt. I do still share tips and tactics with people that are starting out but only the ones that show enthusiasm and drive. I guess Im a little tired of sharing with people that are going to forget what I said or couldnt be bothered to listen anyways. Thanks for replying to my question, nice to see another guy out there that is as obsessed as I am lol. Shoot straight
Old 10-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Banned

Thanks for the read
Old 10-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, you are right and good on you for trying to teach others. I posted almost exactly the same info on a thread here a few years back. But it never decreased the "elk help" threads.. the info is out there for guys to learn if they search for it and want to be serious elk hunters, trouble is they only think about hunting elk for a few weeks of the year during september lol. They couldnt be bothered to put in the dedication, time and effort it takes to better themselves at calling, scouting, physical conditioning or learning elk behaviour. And Im fine with that because all it means is less competition, pressure, and educated elk for me to hunt. I do still share tips and tactics with people that are starting out but only the ones that show enthusiasm and drive. I guess Im a little tired of sharing with people that are going to forget what I said or couldnt be bothered to listen anyways. Thanks for replying to my question, nice to see another guy out there that is as obsessed as I am lol. Shoot straight
I can get where you are coming from. I understand completely. What you fail to realize is the more hunter recruitment= the better chance you and your offspring will have to continue hunting. Teaching rookies should be everyone’s mandate- no exception. If you aren’t taking the time to get people out there and interested- you’ve failed to make sure this incredible past time has a future. It’s a numbers game through and through. Not to mention piles of fun watching newbies succeed- whether on this forum or in person. We need the casual weekend warriors too. I am sorry to jump on you a bit. I am guessing I’m not telling you something you don’t know. Just keep slugging!

OP: great thread. I’ll add a couple pointers as well. These again are private land, prairie tips.

1. Don’t give up. It usually takes about 4-6 years to really get to know an area and where elk circulate.
2. Mark all your sightings on your iHunter app or your paper map. Include date, time of day and direction of travel. I’ve been able to build an amazing visual on my maps from the years of hunting elk. You will see patterns develop.
3. A very underrated aspect (in all big game hunting) is the ability to shoot accurately at longer distances. This takes time to develop as well. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Get out there and shoot from different positions. There is zero sense in having everything dialed in and planned out if you can’t make it count when your reticle is on fur. Know your capabilities and practice practice practice!

There’s so much more. Lots was covered by the OP. I’m eagerly waiting for others to chime in here too
Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Every area is obviously different. Elk are one thing I don’t have to think about 365 days of the year. If I know where some cows are during the rut the game is on. If your in elk and if you can call adequately you will have encounters. I can blind call and have encounters in those areas. Nothing in this thread is top secret. Now a big mature whitetail that’s where you have to do some homework lol!!!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Great advice, much appreciated, helps build the excitement for getting out this Friday!!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Default elk

Obsessed, excellent elk advice. Unless a elk hunter has spent many years in high density WMU's like 357/358, worked real hard, burnt much shoe leather he will never learn half the skill you have developed. I would also suggest good books by very experienced elk hunters.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Camo or no

Next tip is wind us FAR more important than camo.
I usually wear camo ( mostly because it's the TYPE of clothing I need) but breaking up your outline is the most important part. Brown pants with grey sweater with coyote brown bino harness gives the effect of break up needed.
Carry a wind checker and use it often while hunting/ tracking.
Your wind will bust you long before your even within view of the critter
Thermals are also something that you should keep in mind.
A large portion of the Elk I haven't got is due to bad wind decisions.
I have never used any of the scent lock spray products as im not convinced they give any advantage. If the wind is bad your going to get busted period. I do however wear one of those scent pucks ( esterous cow Elk) have done it for years now just cause.....
When i am locating Elk ( Calling) I don't worry about the wind at all because I have no idea where the Elk are to begin with. Once I locate a bull I try to get within 200 yds with the wind in my face. I then begin my calling sequence trying to pull the bull in for a look. If your successful at getting him worked up rarely do they circle top wind you.
Still hunting them I don't worry about wind until I notice the track begins to mil around. This is when I make my way around to the down wind side.
There's no need to be silent ( Elk make lots of noise moving around) working the wind in your favor will give you a chance to get in close enough for a shot. Most times a bull will hear you and give a nervous bark. This is your cue to give him a soft cow response. Remember he can't smell or see you he just heard you and asked what you are. You let him know your just a cow Elk and no threat to him. It's now possible to work your way right in for a shot reassuring him all the while you're a Elk. In this scenario if he winds you, he's gone. He won't give you the nervous grunt he will just slip away. After he gives you the grunt if you don't respond he will bugger out. He asked what you were and he didn't get an answer. In his mind it's danger, get out quick. If he sees you but can't figure what you are letting him know your an Elk puts him at ease for a few seconds giving you a possible chance at a shot.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Next tip is wind us FAR more important than camo.
I usually wear camo ( mostly because it's the TYPE of clothing I need) but breaking up your outline is the most important part. Brown pants with grey sweater with coyote brown bino harness gives the effect of break up needed.
Carry a wind checker and use it often while hunting/ tracking.
Your wind will bust you long before your even within view of the critter
Thermals are also something that you should keep in mind.
A large portion of the Elk I haven't got is due to bad wind decisions.
I have never used any of the scent lock spray products as im not convinced they give any advantage. If the wind is bad your going to get busted period. I do however wear one of those scent pucks ( esterous cow Elk) have done it for years now just cause.....
When i am locating Elk ( Calling) I don't worry about the wind at all because I have no idea where the Elk are to begin with. Once I locate a bull I try to get within 200 yds with the wind in my face. I then begin my calling sequence trying to pull the bull in for a look. If your successful at getting him worked up rarely do they circle top wind you.
Still hunting them I don't worry about wind until I notice the track begins to mil around. This is when I make my way around to the down wind side.
There's no need to be silent ( Elk make lots of noise moving around) working the wind in your favor will give you a chance to get in close enough for a shot. Most times a bull will hear you and give a nervous bark. This is your cue to give him a soft cow response. Remember he can't smell or see you he just heard you and asked what you are. You let him know your just a cow Elk and no threat to him. It's now possible to work your way right in for a shot reassuring him all the while you're a Elk. In this scenario if he winds you, he's gone. He won't give you the nervous grunt he will just slip away. After he gives you the grunt if you don't respond he will bugger out. He asked what you were and he didn't get an answer. In his mind it's danger, get out quick. If he sees you but can't figure what you are letting him know your an Elk puts him at ease for a few seconds giving you a possible chance at a shot.
A lot of sage advice being shared and cannot disagree with what has worked for other hunters. One of my favourite techniques is once I locate the bull and as long as he's bugling I remain silent and work the wind in my favour and if I can get in close enough, I locate a stick and start scraping the ground and scraping/thrashing (gently at first) a nearby bush...…...this has brought many curious elk within bow range....I should clarify long bow range.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Don't over think it, most important is know where the elk are, second most important is know here the elk are, and third most important is know where the elk are. Have time to hunt, watch the wind and know how to call somewhat. You will have action. If you chasing the herd bull that's a little more complicated.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:54 PM

I'm just starting out but the diaphragms are pretty useful when you need both hands.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2020, 03:14 PM

Just got the new spypoint micro link setup Works beautiful right to my phone soon as they happen

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Some great information for the new elk hunter. My only piece of advice for early season success is to keep that bugle in your pack as much as you can. Get into your area and listen! Sit down and listen. If theres a bull/elk in the area, you will hear them. Then get as close as possible with wind/thermals perfect then soft cow/calf mew. You blow on that bugle and you put every bull in the area on guard! You will end up chasing the elk from behind all day. Most bulls when they hear that bugle start herding their cows in the opposite direction. Im not saying don’t use it but it’s a last resort when it’s been daylight for an hour or two and I haven’t heard anything. I way more prefer to bugle at night to locate.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobblerguy View Post
Some great information for the new elk hunter. My only piece of advice for early season success is to keep that bugle in your pack as much as you can. Get into your area and listen! Sit down and listen. If theres a bull/elk in the area, you will hear them. Then get as close as possible with wind/thermals perfect then soft cow/calf mew. You blow on that bugle and you put every bull in the area on guard! You will end up chasing the elk from behind all day. Most bulls when they hear that bugle start herding their cows in the opposite direction. Im not saying don’t use it but it’s a last resort when it’s been daylight for an hour or two and I haven’t heard anything. I way more prefer to bugle at night to locate.
My 2 cents.

I would agree to a point. Most guys start out with a lip bawl and think every Elk.in the woods will come looking for a fight. Learning how to be subtle with the bugle tube and playing off the elks emotion will lead to success.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Ok so we all have a desire to shoot bulls in bow season but what about those meat hunters who would be happy arrowing a cow just to fill up freezer space? All my cows I have taken are during rifle season ( draws) any one out there whacking cows with a bow consistently? What are you doing to be successful? Tips? Tactics?
Old 09-24-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Ok so we all have a desire to shoot bulls in bow season but what about those meat hunters who would be happy arrowing a cow just to fill up freezer space? All my cows I have taken are during rifle season ( draws) any one out there whacking cows with a bow consistently? What are you doing to be successful? Tips? Tactics?
I got a cow tonight with my bow. I tried sitting water holes, hiked way too many miles and plum wore myself out. This morning it rained and the Bush was super quite, I stumbled on a cow and a bull and got lucky enough to hit the cow with an arrow. Persistence always wins out.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 AM

As a new hunter this year I appreciate this thread. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Learning how to be subtle with the bugle tube and playing off the elks emotion will lead to success.
This is key. Locate the bull and see what he does.

And to this point, those interested can watch this YouTube video by Paul Medel:

https://youtu.be/gvwn8MgI6Ms

In the video he says that it can take 10-15 minutes. In my reality, it takes up to 40 minutes for a bull to let you know about his presence, if you play your cards right.

I went out today about 1-1.5 hours past sunset to a couple of points up the valley to listen and they are bugling; while there was some action, they weren’t as vocal just a few days ago. Exciting times. A couple more days until rifle season. Last year I shot my bull on the evening of the 20th of September and my cousin shot his in the morning of the 21st. We located the bull he shot on Thursday evening, deep in the bush, and he shot him right in the exact same spot on Saturday morning at first light. I called mine up to a field from the valley and it took about 1.5 hours for him to come up, mostly silent. He was up on the field when he bugled the first time. I was about to leave, actually.

Will see how it pans out this year. Good luck to all!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:18 AM

Standing behind a bale on the field in the evening today (had an hour to get out), I was thinking I only hunt elk in the morning or in the evening. Because of where I live, I have a luxury of hitting the bush in the morning, head back home before noon (or even earlier), and then go back for an evening hunt if I want to and time allows.

I have a couple of weekdays when I can be in the bush by 2PM or so this week, so I was wondering how do you approach your hunt in those hours? I searched a little on the net but couldn’t find much. It appears while some say that most elk was killed between 10am and 2pm, most seem to be of an opinion that a guy should head back to camp after the morning hunt (which, I guess, is what I do heading back home).

What do you guys do in the middle of the day when looking to put down a bull? It’s a river valley, I know where they bed (unless they moved out from the area for a day or two). There isn’t one specific place though since it’s a large area without much pressure. What about calling? What calls do you use in those hours?

I was thinking to create another thread, but thought this one would be appropriate and others may find the info useful if anyone replies and it has everything to do with tactics.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Standing behind a bale on the field in the evening today (had an hour to get out), I was thinking I only hunt elk in the morning or in the evening. Because of where I live, I have a luxury of hitting the bush in the morning, head back home before noon (or even earlier), and then go back for an evening hunt if I want to and time allows.

I have a couple of weekdays when I can be in the bush by 2PM or so this week, so I was wondering how do you approach your hunt in those hours? I searched a little on the net but couldn’t find much. It appears while some say that most elk was killed between 10am and 2pm, most seem to be of an opinion that a guy should head back to camp after the morning hunt (which, I guess, is what I do heading back home).

What do you guys do in the middle of the day when looking to put down a bull? It’s a river valley, I know where they bed (unless they moved out from the area for a day or two). There isn’t one specific place though since it’s a large area without much pressure. What about calling? What calls do you use in those hours?

I was thinking to create another thread, but thought this one would be appropriate and others may find the info useful if anyone replies and it has everything to do with tactics.

Basic Elk day schedule. Feed at night, travel to bed by morning, bed until the sun goes down, travel to feed, feed all night, repeat.. Usually from sun up until 10-11 am Elk are traveling to bedding areas. It's my experience you won't call them off course to you. They have a destination in mind and are not easily swayed. Once bedded a hunter has better than average chance to call Elk. Locate a bedded bull by blessing ( if possible) or location bugle. Often bulls will bugle from their bed giving away their location. That's when you pull out your calling skills to bring those bulls to you. Honestly check put Paul Medel the Elk nut. He's one of the best at calling and killing lazy bedded bulls. Check put his " slow play" sequence. Exactly what your needing
Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
And to this point, those interested can watch this YouTube video by Paul Medel:

https://youtu.be/gvwn8MgI6Ms
He also has training videos on the iOS App Store (search for ElkNut) that are very helpful. I think it's just shy of $15.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
He also has training videos on the iOS App Store (search for ElkNut) that are very helpful. I think it's just shy of $15.
Another great guy who knows a ton about Elk vocals is Chris Roe. If I only knew half what those guys know.....
Old 07-21-2020, 07:29 AM

I would be using more calf cow calls, calf in distress call.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Cows are easy they are so curious. Cold calling works good . Or sit on water or gas leases where the clover is thick
Old 09-21-2020, 05:23 PM

If it hasn't already been mentioned checkout the Remi warn podcast cutting the distance. For elk checkout #52-57. Lots of useful information. I listen to alot of podcasts on my drive to and from work. This is one of my favorite. Always like learning new tactics and remembering others.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 PM

For all the elk experts. I am currently hunting elk and have bumped/ran into a few cows that are alone right now? What would be the reason they would be alone right now and not with a herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk