Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Basement shower - layout ideas, code requirements for sizing?

Hey all, looking at putting a basement shower in.
The basement, and in particular the basement bathroom has been un touched since the previous owners. Walls, sink, toilet, and a space for a shower (can feel the drain in the floor). House was built in 2008 for a reference.

I have done up a sketch showing the room layout and some dimensions, as well as a couple pictures to put it into perspective.

The 67" wall is an exterior wall, composed of metal studs (I believe 24" centres)

Sadly they did not leave me 36" of space to do a quick enclosure shower.

Thinking I'm going to have to do tile/build my own. Was hoping to do some sort of a neo angle shower idea so the dry off area would be sort of infront of the shower/toilet(leaving room in the corner for storage), but after talking to 2 local glass shops they quoted me between $1700-$2400 to do a 2 wall neo angle worth of glass and install... kinda steep for a basement (rarely used) shower.

Possible just extend the 16 3/4" wall and make a square shower out of it.

Is there any requirements for the size of shower, or the area in front of a shower (dry off area?)

The pedestal sink on the other side of the toilet I would like to replace with a cabinet style so there is some storage. But there is only 23" between the wall and the lid of the toilet tank.... Looking at a skinnier toilet (tank) to allow a 24" sink cabinet. Any requirement for the spacing beside toilets?

I looked up spruce grove, and it looks like its just Alberta building code, no local code.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:49 PM

I'm a plumbing and gas inspector. To answer your question, there are no size requirements on a private residence. The only time you need to worry about dimensions is for public and handicap installs. The only thing you need to be sure of is that any fixtures you use are approved in Canada. Most items for sale are though. Look for a small c beside any approval label. The labels can be many, such as csa or ul.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:15 PM

have some good ventilation fan to disperse moisture build up..

edit ..oops i think i saw some sunlight.. so there are windows
Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 PM

http://www.hytec.ca/onlinecatalog/pd...el_showers.pdf
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 PM

Not exactly the most wonderful layout to end up with , but you do with what you got .

That being said , you should be able to find a couple of different sizes of Neo angle kits that would fit ... with the likely exception of having to move the drain
or you could build it up 4-6 " , and run a line between the new drain location , and the old .

Not the proper way , but I've seen it done before , and saves busting up the floor.

Those kits usually run about 400 - 600 bucks , or if you are wanting to build out the wall ( 16 3/4 ) out beside the toilet , you might think about using glass blocks and then as far as glass ( panel and door ) across the front , there are lots of options available at the big box hardware stores for a lot less than the glass shops . Trick is to know the size of the glass first , and build to fit it , as opposed to build first , and then have to pay for custom glass .

p.s, make sure you know that you have a proper vent line to the drain

Good luck with what direction you go
Old 02-29-2016, 08:19 PM

I've seen this bathroom on a gun forum, and now on an outdoorsmen forum.
Maybe post it on a renovation forum?
I think if you're into it, build your shower to size, and tile it. But build the door opening sized to fit an off the shelf shower door.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Do you need a shower in there? I ask because I find they rarely get used in the basementand that looks like a super tight fit, also what's the height? Personally, I'd keep the sink and toilet and build some storage, but, that's just my take.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Banned

You won't have to install a fan because of the window in your bathroom. Depending on how much you want a stand up shower it may be much easier to install a full size tub so you don't have to move your drain. All bathroom plugs have to be GIC protected. And a new code for electrical under development requires a smoke detector wired in the bedrooms if that's also on your list. I think it was stated already but you could always build a landing to run your plumbing to the drain and just tile the whole thing.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:18 PM

Why not just build your own shower pan using the Schluter shower kit? You can leave the drain where it is, and cut the pan to whatever size shower you want. The kit comes with a 48"x48" pan that you just cut to size. It's not a hard DIY job. You can do it in a day easy. The kit costs around $600. Then you can tile it with whatever you choose. Put in a Schluter Niche and you'll have a plenty big enough shower. You could build the wall beside the toilet, so you would only need a regular shower door. They come in sizes to fit variable openings. It doesn't have to be exact.
For example This door fits 31-33" openings.

Here's how to build the Schluter shower pan:

https://youtu.be/Dy1pMQ3zQLw

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 02-29-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Why not just build your own shower pan using the Schluter shower kit? You can leave the drain where it is, and cut the pan to whatever size shower you want. The kit comes with a 48"x48" pan that you just cut to size. It's not a hard DIY job. You can do it in a day easy. The kit costs around $600. Then you can tile it with whatever you choose. Put in a Schluter Niche and you'll have a plenty big enough shower. You could build the wall beside the toilet, so you would only need a regular shower door. They come in sizes to fit variable openings. It doesn't have to be exact.
For example This door fits 31-33" openings.

Here's how to build the Schluter shower pan:

https://youtu.be/Dy1pMQ3zQLw
This.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Put a tub shower combo in then you have a extra foot for sewer back up before its on your floors.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Rob-tree-fiddy….don’t overlook the glass shower kit at Costco….I was impressed with the thickness of tempered glass and the associated
hardware. Like Cal Dave says, you can also build ‘build it in’ (not necessarily using the pan).

It’s worth a boo anyway….

http://www.costco.ca/Madison-Shower-....10366479.html
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM

what if you found a rectangular shower with the drain on the end of the pan, to run along the long wall?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
Rob-tree-fiddy….don’t overlook the glass shower kit at Costco….I was impressed with the thickness of tempered glass and the associated
hardware. Like Cal Dave says, you can also build ‘build it in’ (not necessarily using the pan).

It’s worth a boo anyway….

http://www.costco.ca/Madison-Shower-....10366479.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagey2220 View Post
what if you found a rectangular shower with the drain on the end of the pan, to run along the long wall?
Both of those ideas require either the moving of the drain location and doing some sort of mickey-mousing with the entrance. A 3x5 shower pan is designed for 3 sided enclosure with the 5' side as the opening. (nailing flange location, sliding glass doors). Not to mention the Costco unit is much more expensive than building a custom pan from Schluter, and still doesn't solve your problems.