Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Default John Tory Asks for Gun Bans or ‘Repositories’ Across Canada

*** please delete if this article is too political I thought gunowners should be aware ***
This could affect all gunowners even the gopher hunters

Toronto Mayor John Tory officially asked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to ban and confiscate all handguns and semi-automatic firearms from federally licensed gun owners in Canada.
In case a handgun ban fails, Tory requested new federal laws to “create gun repositories” where licensed firearm owners across the country would be forced to store all their rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers.
City Council requested the federal government to strengthen Bill C-71 by “prohibiting the availability, sale, possession and use of handguns, assault rifles and semi-automatic firearms in Canada,” Tory said in his letter to Trudeau dated Aug. 3 and shared today on Twitter. (Read the full letter below.)
The other measures aimed at the more than 2 million men and women with federal firearm Possession and Acquisition Licences (PAL) include:
• “Ban the sale of handguns in the City of Toronto.”
• “Enact or amend federal legislation: … Failing a handgun ban, create gun repositories, through a private-public partnership, that require all long and hand guns to be locked up and only retrieved if and where there is a need for hunting or going to the range for target practice.”
The measures are based on a series of motions that City Council passed by a landslide on July 24.
“Thank you for your consideration of these requests to help us send a message that gun violence is absolutely unacceptable in Toronto, or anywhere in Canada,” Tory said in his letter to Trudeau, a downloadable copy of which was shared by the Toronto Star.
The Globe and Mail reported July 26 that Trudeau is seriously considering a handgun ban and will decide on the measure in mid-August. He commented on a ban in Toronto at a July 30 memorial to the victims of a shooting massacre on the city’s Danforth Avenue.
Reporter: “Do you support a handgun ban in Toronto?”
Trudeau: “There’s a lot of things that we’re looking at right now. Obviously there’s a lot of strong emotions going on, grieving, looking at how we can continue to be stronger and more resilient as communities. We are looking at a broad range of things. We’re going to make the right decision for the long term, not just the short term.” (Source: CPAC TV on Twitter.)

More on CBC note the deflecting headline
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tter-1.4775360
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Notwithstanding clause

Gonna be an interesting time in the next year, with those elections coming up...
Old 08-07-2018, 02:44 PM

This is not too political. As long as it directly relates to our pursuits, political discussion is fine. Gun legislation certainly meets that requirement.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
“Enact or amend federal legislation: … Failing a handgun ban, create gun repositories, through a private-public partnership, that require all long and hand guns to be locked up and only retrieved if and where there is a need for hunting or going to the range for target practice.”
So now they are going after long guns as well.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Because this edict is indeed coming from the very centre of the Universe, we are truly doomed.

There is nothing that they will keep their hands off, once it starts, it's over.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 PM

I really don't understand how people calling for firearm confiscation don't understand the failed logic behind what they are asking for. If you had a homicidal maniac in your presence, would you rather simply restrict his access to firearms, maintaining the manics presence, or look into treating the deeper issues? I'd rather rid myself of the maniac. A maniac without firearms is still a maniac and likely going to "express" himself somehow, whether that's via a bomb, vehicle, knife, acid, etc. The UK has limited firearms, and yes, less shootings, but they have one of the highest rates of acid attacks in the world, and from the Sun "The total number of offences involving a knife or bladed instrument that have been recorded by cops in the year to March 2018 rose to 40,147, a seven-year-high.". How is this better?

The current system has its flaws, yes, but a firearms ban is about as logical to me as selling them at Mac's with no restrictions.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Tory was only targeting the restricted crowd now he's admitting he's after every gun big or small. This should be a wake up call for all gun owners both for both RPAL & PAL owners we must stick together divided we fall.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 PM

Emotionally driven rhetoric at its best!
And the metrosexuals lap it up like kittens do to milk.

We are gonna get a royal screwing, just wait.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Look at Chicago
over 70 murders this weekend, and they are a gun free zone.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Pretty scary stuff.legal owners get their guns locked up while illegal owners run around with their guns.if the Liberals get in again we're screwed.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 PM

When all my liberal leaning friends spout off about guns here in Montana I’m thankful for the stupid things Canadian liberals have either implemented in the past or are suggesting in the present of what doesn’t work. Sucks my family and friends pay the price for these examples....
Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Its a long way from going after to getting. How are they going to confiscate or have us turn in long guns when they don't know what we have? Anything the Liberals can implement the PC can get rid of next year.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers eh....those criminals are not going to like the mandatory babysitting of thier illegal guns.

People who write this crap must really only see down a long tunnel and have no grasp on Reality at all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I really don't understand how people calling for firearm confiscation don't understand the failed logic behind what they are asking for. If you had a homicidal maniac in your presence, would you rather simply restrict his access to firearms, maintaining the manics presence, or look into treating the deeper issues? I'd rather rid myself of the maniac. A maniac without firearms is still a maniac and likely going to "express" himself somehow, whether that's via a bomb, vehicle, knife, acid, etc. The UK has limited firearms, and yes, less shootings, but they have one of the highest rates of acid attacks in the world, and from the Sun "The total number of offences involving a knife or bladed instrument that have been recorded by cops in the year to March 2018 rose to 40,147, a seven-year-high.". How is this better?

The current system has its flaws, yes, but a firearms ban is about as logical to me as selling them at Mac's with no restrictions.
x2
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

A ban only disarms the people that obey the law, the criminals will still access firearms, and the law abiding citizens will be defenseless against armed intruders.

As to the UK, London just recently had a higher murder rate than New York.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-...ife-gun-crime/
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

We are gonna get a royal screwing, just wait.
X2 agreed
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 AM

I can't believe how delusional or I guess desperate John Tory is. Imagine two kids on the farm waiting to shoot gophers in the pasture Tory expects they will drive into town and check their guns out for the afternoon I'm guessing not likely.

Firearm owners have had enough regulations, the current system is working and I would expect compliance to be low for any kind of ban then using up police resources that could be better used to battle the real problem.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Pretty scary stuff.legal owners get their guns locked up while illegal owners run around with their guns.if the Liberals get in again we're screwed.
Mediumrare, you are wrong in this assumption, what you are missing is once there is a ban, there will be no more guns... it's that easy
Old 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Mediumrare, you are wrong in this assumption, what you are missing is once there is a ban, there will be no more guns... it's that easy
I think what your missing is they are criminals and don’t follow the laws. That’s why we call them criminals. They will not give up their guns.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I would expect a lot of "grey" guns to be still around, that $200 SKS could be worth big bucks after a ban. The sale of 6" PVC pipe and posthole augers will be going up soon.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

I will believe the ban/confiscation when I see it. I see the defeatist on here have already given up but they will have a hard time actually getting a ban in place IMO.

I am sure ISIS likes the continued support of the Liberals, attempting to disarm the citizens which would allow them and other scum of the country to commit their crimes much easier.

Have you got your CCFR membership yet?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I can't believe how delusional or I guess desperate John Tory is. Imagine two kids on the farm waiting to shoot gophers in the pasture Tory expects they will drive into town and check their guns out for the afternoon I'm guessing not likely.
The obvious conclusion is that anti-hunters and gun-grabbers do not want kids growing up to be hunters or shooters.

(IIRC, it is already unlawful for 'kids' (too young to obtain a PAL) to shoot while not under the direct control and supervision (often defined as within arms length) of a PAL holder.)

Quote:
Firearm owners have had enough regulations, the current system is working and I would expect compliance to be low for any kind of ban then using up police resources that could be better used to battle real problem(s).
I hope that you are right, but suspect that opposition and resistance will be limited to bitching on a dying forum, and in other echo chambers.

Whenever any failing Government is suffering from declining support, they always trot out the need for 'moar' 'gun control' as a polarizing issue to deflect attention from their failures.

While I do suggest everyone join NFA, CSSA, & CCFR, we individuals must do more to become an EFFECTIVE group.

I submit that NOW is the time to offer meaningful support($$$) and assistance to any prospective candidate opposing any Party or candidate in favor of further firearm restriction.

Good Luck, (we are all going to need it,) YMMV.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1886 View Post
I think what your missing is they are criminals and don’t follow the laws. That’s why we call them criminals. They will not give up their guns.
I think you are missing the sarcasm
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 PM

If the people in Toronto are having problems with gun violence I fail to see the reason why we have to pay the price for this in Alberta.

Perhaps our firearms laws need to be rationalized.

If they don't know how to play nice take their toys away. Leave ours alone.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:36 PM

This has nothing to do with people playing nice together and everything to do with politicians deflecting people’s attention away from the real issues. Hand guns are no more the problem now than a van was last fall.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
This has nothing to do with people playing nice together and everything to do with politicians deflecting people’s attention away from the real issues. Hand guns are no more the problem now than a van was last fall.
Exactly! And let's not forget that Toronto is a sanctuary city that protects criminals that enter our country illegally. Perhaps they should be more concerned with keeping criminals out of the country?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Don't disagree with either point. Just tired of having to deal with laws passed because of problems in a part of the country that I have nothing to do with and no control over.

And yes there are bigger issues and vans and immigration. Gun control is an easy argument for the government to make instead of tackling the real problem, most of which they cause so they will definitely not be shining the light in that direction. And I'm pretty sure this debate will not change that unfortunately.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I would expect a lot of "grey" guns to be still around, that $200 SKS could be worth big bucks after a ban. The sale of 6" PVC pipe and posthole augers will be going up soon.
Don't forget about the cosmoline
Old 08-08-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
The obvious conclusion is that anti-hunters and gun-grabbers do not want kids growing up to be hunters or shooters.

(IIRC, it is already unlawful for 'kids' (too young to obtain a PAL) to shoot while not under the direct control and supervision (often defined as within arms length) of a PAL holder.)

I hope that you are right, but suspect that opposition and resistance will be limited to bitching on a dying forum, and in other echo chambers.

Whenever any failing Government is suffering from declining support, they always trot out the need for 'moar' 'gun control' as a polarizing issue to deflect attention from their failures.

While I do suggest everyone join NFA, CSSA, & CCFR, we individuals must do more to become an EFFECTIVE group.

I submit that NOW is the time to offer meaningful support($$$) and assistance to any prospective candidate opposing any Party or candidate in favor of further firearm restriction.

Good Luck, (we are all going to need it,) YMMV.
x2. Time to put some money behind our mouth.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM

The "gun repository" idea has to be one of the worst, and least thought-out ideas ever presented... Put all the guns in one place so it's easier for the crooks to steal them. It's also another way to register all firearms, BTW. Even if every legal gun owner complied, does anyone think crooks with guns would? Who's the problem? Law-abiding gun owners or crooks with guns?
John Tory and Justin Trudeau are desperate men.