Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Remi3006 Remi3006 is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WMU 214
Posts: 557
Default Spotting Scope Info

Loooking at buying a new spotting scope and have it narrowed down to these two units... Looking for input and suggestions on what you guys think is the better buy. Both are very close in $ range and both units seem very clear, the Zeiss is more compact which is always nice.

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85
Zeiss T FL85 Victory (last years model)

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
BackPackHunter BackPackHunter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,373
Default

the one that feels best to you
put them side by side, and see what one feel better to you

go to the store just before dark and get them to take it to the doors or outside and have a look around
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
mtnhunter's Avatar
mtnhunter mtnhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 567
Default

For glass quality I agree with BPH that you should test them both at the stores looking outside in low light conditions.

I would also like to add that it really depends on your type of hunting. If you are looking for a scope that will primarily get used on a window mount, then either will work well. If you are looking for something to go in your pack and to take up some hills/mountains, then the Zeiss would be my personal choice of the two you listed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM
BackPackHunter BackPackHunter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,373
Default

if your going to be packing it around lots, i'd go with 65mm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM
hunt247 hunt247 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 146
Default Vortex

I have the Vortex HD and it is awesome, my hunting partners have Swarovski and side by side on the mountain its hard to tell the difference. A little on the heavy side but worth it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
ishootbambi ishootbambi is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: medicine hat
Posts: 9,040
Default

vortex in the same sentence as zeiss and swarovski. hmmm.....ok.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
hunt247 hunt247 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
vortex in the same sentence as zeiss and swarovski. hmmm.....ok.
Coming from the guy that just told me to buy $14 trekking sticks instead of $150 ones. Look through both before you say that Swarovski are $1200-$1400 more they ain't worth it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 PM
209x50's Avatar
209x50 209x50 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
if your going to be packing it around lots, i'd go with 65mm
I agree. I had the Zeiss 20-60x85mm and sold it and bought the 15-56x65mm Zeiss Diascope. Lighter, smaller more packable and i don't think you give up much.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Remi3006 Remi3006 is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WMU 214
Posts: 557
Default scopes

Thanks for the input guys!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM
ishootbambi ishootbambi is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: medicine hat
Posts: 9,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Coming from the guy that just told me to buy $14 trekking sticks instead of $150 ones. Look through both before you say that Swarovski are $1200-$1400 more they ain't worth it
with no punctuation in there, im not positive what you are saying.....but it looks as though you completely missed my point.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
hunt247 hunt247 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 146
Default

What it seems, is that you don't believe they should be in the same sentence? Which price wise they shouldn't be but the quality is comparable
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM
hunt247 hunt247 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Coming from the guy that just told me to buy $14 trekking sticks instead of $150 ones. Look through both before you say that Swarovski are $1200-$1400 more they ain't worth it
I guess what I'm asking is, what are you saying? That they don't belong in the same sentence, price wise no comparison weight is the same and vortex quality is right there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
ishootbambi ishootbambi is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: medicine hat
Posts: 9,040
Default

yup, thats what i thought you meant. and to that i say.....you gotta be joking. vortex is not in the same league as any of the big 3 euro glass. if you want decent optics for a better price, then ok, but dont be so silly as to think they are comparable glass.

i forget which model it is, but there is one at around 700 bucks from vortex. swaro is around 2100ish. there is no doubt that the swaro is better quality.....but you might be able to make the argument that they arent 3 times better to justify the price.....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
dadof5 dadof5 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 857
Default

New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...5mm-85mm-95mm/
3k+ though...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
jimbos1 jimbos1 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lethbridge,Alberta
Posts: 137
Default zeiss

just got my new scope last wk was out on wkend. man the things i can see clear now are amazing. zeiss victory diascope 85t fl straight. i got it with the 20 to 75 eye piece. Ordered it from camera land landed at my door total price 2200 and change. it was a demonstrator model but in mint condition and full warrenty. of course goverment had to get there 59 for taxes and handleing
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
nimrod's Avatar
nimrod nimrod is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta for the most part
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...5mm-85mm-95mm/
3k+ though...
Oh great, another change , and more money, but looks great, wonder what the weight is, on these new models.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
BackPackHunter BackPackHunter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...5mm-85mm-95mm/
3k+ though...
well it looks like i will have a mint condition Swarovski 20x60x65 HD with soft case for sale next year....
it never ends!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
alces alces is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 94
Default

BackPack, let me know if end up selling that scope. I'd be interested
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Stinky Coyote's Avatar
Stinky Coyote Stinky Coyote is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
well it looks like i will have a mint condition Swarovski 20x60x65 HD with soft case for sale next year....
it never ends!
Really? The lightest one is 55 plus ounces....not a chance
__________________
Grendel Grendel bo bendel, banana fanna...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 AM
depopulator's Avatar
depopulator depopulator is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...5mm-85mm-95mm/
3k+ though...
Swaro and all optics manufacturers have to keep developing products, but not because of demand or product obsolescence. Contemporary R&D is more about marketing and trying to boondoggle you into believing "new is better." No one can convince me to trade in my STM 65, it does everything I need and more, and packs just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM
sheephunter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Actually advances in coatings and grinding technology are what are driving R&D. No doubt your old glass is good but there's no doubt the new glass is better. It's hardly a marketing boondoggle. Optic quality is improving by leaps and bounds. It's nice to see....pun intended
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM
depopulator's Avatar
depopulator depopulator is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually advances in coatings and grinding technology are what are driving R&D. No doubt your old glass is good but there's no doubt the new glass is better. It's hardly a marketing boondoggle. Optic quality is improving by leaps and bounds. It's nice to see....pun intended
How is it better ? What will a new scope with "advances in coatings and grinding technology" do by "leaps and bounds" that my Swaro STM 65 won't do ? Please educate me
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
sheephunter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
How is it better ? What will a new scope with "advances in coatings and grinding technology" do by "leaps and bounds" that my Swaro STM 65 won't do ? Please educate me
Take a look through one and it will become pretty obvious that they are clearer and brighter. Not saying you need one or that your old scope isn't up to the task but to say R&D these days is nothing but marketing hype is pure BS. Glass is getting better. Whether you need it or want it is certainly up to you but make no mistake, the new stuff is better. We've seen some other great innovations like increased zoom range. There's lots going on in the optics business to make them better.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Tundra Monkey's Avatar
Tundra Monkey Tundra Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prosperous Lake, NT
Posts: 5,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Swaro STM 65 won't do ?
Didn't the STM only come out a year or two ago?? Like....right after I bought my STS HD

I think that not too much has changed in that time frame.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
depopulator's Avatar
depopulator depopulator is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Take a look through one and it will become pretty obvious that they are clearer and brighter. Not saying you need one or that your old scope isn't up to the task but to say R&D these days is nothing but marketing hype is pure BS. Glass is getting better. Whether you need it or want it is certainly up to you but make no mistake, the new stuff is better. We've seen some other great innovations like increased zoom range. There's lots going on in the optics business to make them better.
In fact I've had ample opportunity to look through the new Swarovision scopes side by side with my STM HD scope on the sheep ranges, and scouting at dusk and dawn for elk, whitetail and mule deer, and nothing became "pretty obvious" about clearer and brighter. The commercials pumping Swarovision are cool though...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
sheephunter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
In fact I've had ample opportunity to look through the new Swarovision scopes side by side with my STM HD scope on the sheep ranges, and scouting at dusk and dawn for elk, whitetail and mule deer, and nothing became "pretty obvious" about clearer and brighter. The commercials pumping Swarovision are cool though...
Well, I guess you'll never need anything new then.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 AM
depopulator's Avatar
depopulator depopulator is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,120
Default

Perhaps I'm just less inclined to believe what people/companies tell me I need vs. what I actually need. It's only hunting after all; I'm not exactly searching for a new galaxy or decoding the superman gene
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
sheephunter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Perhaps I'm just less inclined to believe what people/companies tell me I need vs. what I actually need. It's only hunting after all; I'm not exactly searching for a new galaxy or decoding the superman gene
My eyes tell me different but everyone's eyes are different. I pretty much ignore the advertising and what people tell me too and rely on my personal experience. I'm pretty excited about some of the new glass I've seen. The new HT takes things to a new level in my opinion but I'm sure others won't notice or appreciate the difference. I envy them in some ways...I'm sure they have way more money in their bank account.....lol
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
depopulator's Avatar
depopulator depopulator is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,120
Default

HT is new from Zeiss ? Not sure how that new gear would lower your bank account - don't they sponsor you to sell their stuff ?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
sheephunter
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
HT is new from Zeiss ? Not sure how that new gear would lower your bank account - don't they sponsor you to sell their stuff ?
LOL.....It amazes me how some of you guys live in a dream world...any new gear that I want from them definitely lowers my bank account just as writing a cheque to anyone else does. Nothing in life is free....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.