Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Anyone else trying to buy a rifle from Dave barry?

Just wondering if anyone else is having any luck buying any of the rifles listed by this member?

Zero feed back score, but just looking for any other info, positive, or other wise.

My experience to date is slow communication, with minimal information. I did get a text, with pics. When I tried to call the number I got a message that said it was a text mail subscriber?

Here's what google says about that:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.iir4ROLeyxU

I'm not saying good or bad right now, just sharing info with my membership on here.

Feel free to pm or just post.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Zero feedback, reach by text only, slow communicator. Let me See

No way in hell would I buy from someone with zero feedback unless I could do it face to face. Anything else is just asking to get ripped off.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM

I'd shy away too. I was going to ask a buddy in PG if he knew a guy by that name since my buddy's quite active in the shooting sports in PG. But decided I didn't need another AV in .338.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM

One of the first things I do is try and check out who this guy is and is it really him..I ask for a home number and look up his number and last name on google.Somtimes you can get a job profile exactly where he lives and who has died near him listing the folks that maybe his parents or bros.

He could be a coach of some sport team or belong to a major gun club where awards are given and the list goes on and on and maybe a criminal.I have done two deals with guys with no credit rating.but made them bring the firearm to someone I knew or drop it of at a hunting store that knew me well,sliding someone 50 or100 bucks for there trouble sometimes works.

If I wasn't a 100 percent sure on who he was I would walk away.

The worst deals I ever made were with 2 guys who had I trader ratings over 800,they just buy them and move them with zero knowledge of the firearm ,then you take your chances also.

Last edited by JD848; 07-19-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Thx everyone, I have dealt with "0" ratings guys b4 with no issues ... but my spidey senses were tingling here ... best to listen to your gut
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM

BUYER BEWARE

Lots of good advice. Heed it. Forum can't really do anything if you get shafted.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 AM

0 feedback here doesn’t mean much.

I’m one of those guys and have bought several rifles on here. Never post stuff though because I usually sell on the “other” board.

Just don’t bother with the ratings system on this board. Not really sure why....

See how long he has been a member.

Talk to the guy and verify his PAL with RCMP before doing deal. As others said check him out. Verifiable home address is helpful.

The flag to me is the crappy comm’s. What’s with that?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM

I definitely agree with everyone’s posts, and not too worry, I’m definitely not out any money, or critical personal information.

I’m just doing my due diligence, and at the same time if member is a scammer, more people are aware. It will all come out eventually. He may be a standup guy, I’m not saying he isn’t. Just looking for anyone else who’s talked to him, done a deal with him, or even knows him personally. If he’s on the up and up, he’ll post on this thread I’d think. I’ve dealt with many new guys with no rating. A zero feedback rating may just mean he doesn’t suffer from the same issues I do
Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Having been ripped-off before...the first thing I ask for are photos of the item in question, and included IN the photos is a piece of paper with today's date, and YOUR name clearly written on them. If "sellers" have even a shred of hesitation to do that, it's a "hard no" for me.

On the other big Canadian gun site..I usually trust a seller's trader rating if there are more than about 20-30 transactions, and feedback is perfect. Even then, I listen to the "tone" of the messages. If they're willing to provide as many photos/details as I ask for=all good. If they get *****ly about it, I take that as a bit of a red flag.

Lastly, there is one province in Canada that seems to have more than it's share of scams...so I'm reluctant to deal with sellers there. Personal preference.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM

I have emailed him and correspondence is slow but then again I am glued to the phone or so my wife says. Lol.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Having been ripped-off before...the first thing I ask for are photos of the item in question, and included IN the photos is a piece of paper with today's date, and YOUR name clearly written on them. If "sellers" have even a shred of hesitation to do that, it's a "hard no" for me.

On the other big Canadian gun site..I usually trust a seller's trader rating if there are more than about 20-30 transactions, and feedback is perfect. Even then, I listen to the "tone" of the messages. If they're willing to provide as many photos/details as I ask for=all good. If they get *****ly about it, I take that as a bit of a red flag.

Lastly, there is one province in Canada that seems to have more than it's share of scams...so I'm reluctant to deal with sellers there. Personal preference.
I heard that scammers are getting better at photoshop so taking a video is a good security measure.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 PM

I purchased the Kimber Montana from him, he seemed straight up to me and good communication, I did notice he was easier to reach by email and he also text me so I have his cel number if anyone needs it
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 PM

How you like the kimber. I was looking at the Sako always wanted to own one. Just have to decide if I want a 338. He has good price.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
How you like the kimber. I was looking at the Sako always wanted to own one. Just have to decide if I want a 338. He has good price.
Go with the Kimber, if you want .338 go with the Kimber 8400,
I just buy Kimbers for custom builds, or just a rebarrel jobs if you will, a Kimber Montana has everything you need for a custom hunting rifle, all stainless crf action, excellent adjustable trigger, one the very best carbon fiber stocks made which is easily changed as needed, ie-palm swell- cheek piece or high comb, add a Benchmark Barrel chambered in whatever caliber you want and poof, as nice a light weight SS hunting rifle you can buy that will shoot lights out.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
0 feedback here doesn’t mean much.

I’m one of those guys and have bought several rifles on here. Never post stuff though because I usually sell on the “other” board.

Just don’t bother with the ratings system on this board. Not really sure why....

See how long he has been a member.

Talk to the guy and verify his PAL with RCMP before doing deal. As others said check him out. Verifiable home address is helpful.

The flag to me is the crappy comm’s. What’s with that?

THIS..... If I am the buyer or seller I will ask for PAL info prior to even discussing price or shipping. I ask for name and PAL #, no need for date of birth or address. I then call NB and do a PAL valid check... I do this for non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. If the potential seller/buyer refuses, then the deal ends there. This 100% weeds out the fraudsters.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 AM

Good on you WF65, hope it’s a smooth deal.

Maybe you got better communication then I did, but it wasn’t what I was comfortable with. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
THIS..... If I am the buyer or seller I will ask for PAL info prior to even discussing price or shipping. I ask for name and PAL #, no need for date of birth or address. I then call NB and do a PAL valid check... I do this for non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. If the potential seller/buyer refuses, then the deal ends there. This 100% weeds out the fraudsters.
One of the scams people have been using, is to use other people's PAL numbers and names to complete online firearms deals. You can verify if the PAL is valid, but you don't know, if the holder is the person you are buying from. If people are freely giving out their name and PAL number online to strangers, they open themselves up to this risk.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherbyFan65 View Post
I purchased the Kimber Montana from him, he seemed straight up to me and good communication, I did notice he was easier to reach by email and he also text me so I have his cel number if anyone needs it
I inquired about that one, but hesitated when I seen the 0 trader rating.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby76 View Post
I inquired about that one, but hesitated when I seen the 0 trader rating.
Daves been great, I just told him to check this thread out so Im sure he will, I have no trader rating either and have had no issues buying or selling, you can check trader ratings out on other sites like CGN or HuntingBC.ca also.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Good on you WF65, hope it’s a smooth deal.

Maybe you got better communication then I did, but it wasn’t what I was comfortable with. Good luck.
I just text Dave so hes going to see whats up, I know I tried to PM him originally but didnt work so I sent him an email off of this site and he got back to me right away
Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default Thank You Don

Quote:
I just text Dave so hes going to see whats up, I know I tried to PM him originally but didnt work so I sent him an email off of this site and he got back to me right away
Thank you for calling my attention to this.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

So straight up. I am not here to steal from anybody. Few guys contacted me, they asked for all kinds of pictures which I provided. I even went as far as putting a note with a name of a buyer by the side of the rifle just as requested just to show that I am legit. Some were trying to price me down with ridiculous offers so I just ignored. I sincerely understand the point at which many people are coming from. I SOLD the Montana to weatherby65 already. I appreciate your trust and understanding. I know that everyone with trader ratings started from zero ratings. and I also know this will be the beginning of mine. Am out of here.

Thank you all
Old 07-20-2018, 03:45 PM

Nothing wrong with doing deals with guys that have zero ratings as long as you can do the deal face to face or have soemone you know transact the deal for you in the other city. For those that are new and offended that we don't trust someone with no trader rating, sorry but with the huge amount of internet fraud, thems the breaks. You need to build your credentials before I am just going to EMT you a grand and trust you are legit.

To each their own but to be offended that their is a lack of trust dealing with people we have never met, new to AO and new to trading is just childish.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:46 PM

So there ya go HOMESTEADER, you were just being ignored cause ya were trying to low ball him. Loosen those purse strings a little buddy. Ya can’t take it with ya. Lol
Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
So there ya go HOMESTEADER, you were just being ignored cause ya were trying to low ball him. Loosen those purse strings a little buddy. Ya can’t take it with ya. Lol
I'm tapped, can you spot me a $100 till payday

Good to see the seller post on here, and hope he has a lot of good transactions, and feedback.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Daves been great, I just told him to check this thread out so Im sure he will, I have no trader rating either and have had no issues buying or selling, you can check trader ratings out on other sites like CGN or HuntingBC.ca also.
As an extra check I looked on huntingbc and CGN but didn’t see an add for that rifle. Glad the transaction went well for the seller and buyer, you sir got a good deal on a nice rifle.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:03 PM

All these successful transactions, and the guy still has a zero trader rating?

Where’s the etiquette in that?

BTW: there seems to be a lot of that lately.
I’ve left feedback on my last few deals, but none is reciprocated.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
All these successful transactions, and the guy still has a zero trader rating?

Where’s the etiquette in that?

BTW: there seems to be a lot of that lately.
I’ve left feedback on my last few deals, but none is reciprocated.
Funny you ask but I've tried to leave a trader rating for both lone wolf and saddleup but for some reason the confuser wouldn't let me.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 PM

I've tried to leave feedback many times only for the system to not allow it. It says there was an error in the details - no matter what I change or include it won't allow it for some reason. Others times it goes through without issue.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 PM

HOW do you leave feedback for a member on this site ???