Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 04:05 PM

Default Moving retirement funds, any advice?

The facility that I work for was recently taken over by a different company, so now I've got some decisions to make about what I do with the money that I've accumulated in the company retirement plan.

The plan we've had has been through Sun Life, the ongoing mantra from the older guys is "Make sure you get it out before you retire, and for gods sake dont die while they've still got it!!" Having delt with Sun Life after the death of a few relatives I would have to say this reputation seems well deserved, and therefore I'd like to take the opportunity to move the money elsewhere.

The new plan is with Manu Life, whome I've never dealt with, and I'll be talking with my bankind rep's (ATB) about other options, but I'm interested to hear any good advice I can get.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:36 PM

I am in the midst of Moving From RBC to ATB Wealth and I wish i would have done it 10 years ago..
Old 04-29-2024, 04:54 PM

I was with Manulife for 24 years thru work , and they have been very good. They have one of the better investors education departments I have been associated with. Great website and they also came to the office once a year for a refresher course on all their plans.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:37 PM

What we found is most banks do not have the right methods of retaining top talent in the investment portions. Keep in mind I am from smaller centers.

We made the move to Manulife a bit before Covid and have been extremely happy. Their knowledge and ability to build the funds based on what is happening in the world has worked quite well.

I think the biggest thing is are you able to work with and connect with the money person you will be using. Our representative is amazing and has worked out very well for us. We had tried others that we didn’t connect well with, and walked away, as it just wouldn’t work out.