Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Buckmasters® Edition

Does anyone or has anyone owned this gun -- Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Buckmasters® Edition

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...uckmasters.asp

I have saved up some money from bday and christmas and have been seriiously looking at it. I have done some research and apparently the Remington model 700 is at the top of the list. So, does anyone have any reports, likes/dislikes anything to help me out with learning more about this gun.

Thanks

Clu__82
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM

The Remington 700 regardless of the incarnation it might be in, is a pretty safe gamble for a rifle.
Trigger is adjustable, aftermarket this that or the other thing is available all over the place.
Big Green has had some QC issues in more recent years, but I'd hazard to guess that their issues are not out of wack from a normal occurance rate for any mass produced product.

Of the half dozen or so new Remigton's I've had anything to do with over the last couple of years, I've seen or had zero issues with them.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 AM

The 700sps is a good rifle for the price,however,I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the camo color.If I wanted a 700SPS,I would rather pay a little more for the stainless model to increase corrosion resistance.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 PM

I'ved only owned one Remington 700, in 7mm Rem Mag and it was a good shooter. Like Dick says, Remington are as good as any of the others in that price range, pretty good value for the dollar. I think I paid more than that for my Remington 700 back in the eighties. I doubt you will be disappointed, good rifle for the money.

Craig
Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 PM

I've got a standard SPS and I don't have any complaints about it. It is what it is... a fairly low priced but practical rifle. If you want to pay a few bucks more for the camo stock, go for it! The plain black stock on the standard model isn't really pretty, but it fits me well. They come with decent recoil pads, which is nice depending on what caliber you choose. My rifle, a 22-250, shoots goof for the money I paid. I wanted an "econo" coyote rifle, and that's just what I got.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Stainless rusts just as easy as blued...You have to clean them all the same..get what you want..If camo is your thing BUY IT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 700sps is a good rifle for the price,however,I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the camo color.If I wanted a 700SPS,I would rather pay a little more for the stainless model to increase corrosion resistance.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Stainless rusts just as easy as blued...You have to clean them all the same..
Not at all true,416 stainless,which is the stainless alloy most commonly used to manufacture firearms can rust,but it is much more resistant to rust than blued steel.