Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Default Gun for wife

hi guys.
was just thinking about buying a smaller caliber rifle for my wife. she hasnt hunted before, but has shown mild interest. a few questions here..what would you guys recommend for a gun? is it wise to get her involved?
i dont think it is a bad idea, as you can never have enough guns. if she isnt interested, i have a coyote gun, or a gun the kids can use as they get older. just looking for some opinions from guys who got their wife hunting. any regrets?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM

First off.
Get her out to try a few different rifles in different calibers.

Second,
make sure it fits her, women have smaller hands and shorter arms than most men, and proper fit of the rifle will make it more enjoyable for her to shoot, and therefore she will stick with it.

If your ever around Drayton Valley, drop me a line I have a couple youth/ladies model rifles she can try. One is a 7mm-08 in a NEF single shot, the other is a 270Win in a Remington 700 SPS.

Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Hmmmm GUN FOR WIFE. What kinda gun you offering?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Hmmmm GUN FOR WIFE. What kinda gun you offering?

Oh, beat me to it.......sharp fella!

Yes, get her a small plinking calibre to start. Like Dick284 said, get one that fits her, low recoil, and try a few different calibres. That is the best way.

Don't say too much, let her decide what fits and what doesn't.

She might decide a .243 win is just great or she might decide to plink with a 17HMR......as long as she is happy.

Model 7 Remingtons and youth stock Weatherby vanguards are good rifles for smaller people.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Default Toys

When I started looking for a rifle I found some websites/forums from the southern US. Most of the ladies that hunt down there use the 7mm 08 with success. I bought the Remington Mountain Rifle, and it has worked well for me. I also used a Remington 308 for a few years, and was very comfortable with that rifle as well. Some of the ladies I know use the 270 as well.

I chose not to get the synthetic stock b/c the extra weight takes the kick out of the shoulder. Although, I dont notice much when a deer is in the crosshairs, and the adrenaline is running.

Have fun shopping!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM

if she is the least bit interested in hunting and shooting a deer, adrenlin will take care of recoils, my wifey handled a 3006 while in africa this summer with authority. it could have been a 416 rigby when the kudu bull came out, it wouldnt have mattered.
The bench causes and/or corrects most habits.
my wife just got a 257wby in ultralite mark 5, its real light recoil, and super flat shooting, so she doesnt have to be as concerned with range estimation or hold over.
plus we both shoot the same caliber for safety sake and conveince for reloading.
with 87 grainers at around 4000fps it is wicked coyote round as well.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Ii made my wife a 6.5x55 she loves it not muchh reciol and i sure knock down the game. A 7mm-08 or a 260 rem are good too. the 6.5's are way better than the 6mm and preform better on game.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Default 7mm-08

I bought my girlfriend a savage 7mm-08 and she shoots it well. Its got enough horsepower to put a moose or elk or bear on the ground. I'm not a 243 fan at all so I picked the 7mm-08. She has claimed 5 deer with this gun in 3 years and four of them were one shot kills.But I wanted to buy a tikka 25-06 so I could use it. But the gun didn't fit her 24 inch barrel a little awkard to swing and point.The savage was a better gun for fit and surprisingly accurate. What I'm rambling about is get her one that fits her and suits her not you.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

In the end I was suprised to find my wife didn't like most youth and lite guns she held except for the Rem Ti 30-06. Price was a factor and I found her a good used Wby Dlx 7mm Wby and she loves it. Let her decide and you will both be happy.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Wife's Rifle

7mm-08, 270 Win, 25-06 would be good choices. My wife shoots a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM and she handles it. PRACTICE at the range. Make sure she is comfortable shooting. You dont want a sharp recoil or say Scope Bite. If the later happens to her....watch out! Chicks dig scars...they dont want them themselves...lol.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
7mm-08, 270 Win, 25-06 would be good choices. My wife shoots a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM and she handles it. PRACTICE at the range. Make sure she is comfortable shooting. You dont want a sharp recoil or say Scope Bite. If the later happens to her....watch out! Chicks dig scars...they dont want them themselves...lol.
My wife watched me load up my inline 50cal with 150gr of powder for the first time and then said let me shoot it. I told her it would kick a bit and to hang on but I guess she didn't listen and she was bleeding right by her thumb where it scraped her. lucky for me it had a 2.5 leupold on it and it was far enough away. She didn't want to shoot it anymore. She will shoot my 416 rigby with no brake and hit with it but didn't like the 45/70 GG with full power loads as the muzzle came up too much. I agreed and that gun is now gone the 416 is much nicer.
Its nice to tell her how to hold on the 500 yard gong and watch her hit it over and over with the 7mm. Then she tried a 338win and we told her a different hold and she nailed the 500 gong with that too. I wish I could shoot that good some days
Practice practice practice

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember