Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Default custom mountian rifle

I am looking forward to beginning my mountian hunting career this coming fall, and I'm looking to build my ideal custom mountain hunting rifle. Ideally, it'll be lightweight, stainless/syn, and on a sako action. Now when it comes to caliber and barrel type, I have no clue. I've been thinking about the 6.5-284, or the 6.5 creedmoor, or possibly a 257 stw, or 7mm, like i said I am undecided!!!
I know depending on bullet length, the rate of twist will change, but as for barrels, pac-nor etc, I am lost!!! I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not?!
I plan on topping it with either a leupy or Nikon scope!!
Like I previously stated I am new to hunting in the mountains, and have always dreamed of chasing sheep and goats in the mountains. I am still young (23) and want to go all out, so I want everyone opinions on GEAR NEEDED and the BEST gear, and everyones conditioning routines. Since I don't have horses, it'll be burning alot of boot leather, which is fine with me, getting there is half the fun, right?!!!
All help is appreciated!!!!

Happy New Year To All!!!
-madcarpenter
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Contact a gunsmith and see what they can do for you.

Smith's with good reputations in alphabetical order are.

Alberta Tactical Rifle (member here)
Corlaines in Dawson Creek BC
D. Henry in Bentley Ab. 403-748-3030 Wed only
Rangesports Unlimited in Kamloops

Get prices and features, ask about chamber reamers on hand etc.

good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Hi Mad,we chatted a bit a while ago. If you would like to stop over and discuss different options/gear for hiking pm myself. Although I dont do much high country hunting now, I do have a fair bit of experience at it.
Stop over and see the photos/rams we have taken

Ian
Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Hi Mad,we chatted a bit a while ago. If you would like to stop over and discuss different options/gear for hiking pm myself. Although I dont do much high country hunting now, I do have a fair bit of experience at it.
Stop over and see the photos/rams we have taken

Ian
You arent allowed to post that without showing some pics of the rams for us die hard sheep hunters!!!

Sounds like you're on the right track Mad....biggest thing to remember is the most important factor in getting up a mountain is both physical and mental conditioning. The lightest fancy rifle in the world doesnt make it easy if you arent ready for the mountains.

That being said, building a nice LW rig is a lot of fun. I had one built by Corlanes and it turned out very nice. Lots of good 'used' ones around too and some very good actions kicking around to start a project from with little or no use.....
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys for all the help so far!!!! I've always been a little wary of buying things second hand, I always seem to favor paying the full price for new.
What other actions should I consider other than the sakos??
And how does one prepare himself mentally for a mountian hunt??

And another thing, how often does everyone bump into Grizzlies while in the mountains? How does one deal with such a situation, especially with a pack loaded up with meat!!???

-madcarpenter
Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Shooting Edge in Calgary has a used Kimber 84 in 7-08 last week.
Might be a good place to start if you dont want a 100% custom rifle.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
You arent allowed to post that without showing some pics of the rams for us die hard sheep hunters!!!

Sounds like you're on the right track Mad....biggest thing to remember is the most important factor in getting up a mountain is both physical and mental conditioning. The lightest fancy rifle in the world doesnt make it easy if you arent ready for the mountains.

That being said, building a nice LW rig is a lot of fun. I had one built by Corlanes and it turned out very nice. Lots of good 'used' ones around too and some very good actions kicking around to start a project from with little or no use.....
I will have to see if I can figure out how to post some picts
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM

And another thing, how often does everyone bump into Grizzlies while in the mountains? How does one deal with such a situation, especially with a pack loaded up with meat!!???

I spent 8 days in Cadomin this year and on the 7th day we ran into a Griz and her 2 cubs. They were about 900 yards away. They were rate were we wanted to go. So we waited it out and let them make all of the moves. We were also on horse back so we took the long way around and did not see them after that.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcarpenter View Post
Thanks guys for all the help so far!!!! I've always been a little wary of buying things second hand, I always seem to favor paying the full price for new.
What other actions should I consider other than the sakos??
And how does one prepare himself mentally for a mountian hunt??

-madcarpenter
Dealing with grizz is something that you'll have to learn to deal with, though they have never given me any issue and I dont worry about them really. I'm just aware that they are out there and just deal with it. No biggie...

How you prepare yourself mentally for mountain hunting has a lot to do with the person. For some, climbing a mountain and having the determination to climb them in the dark or to push yourself to your limits until you are ragged and worn out takes mental drive. Backpack hunting is a tough deal and if you arent mentally prepared for it, it can eat a guy up. Several guys turn back and several guys drive the roads and expect to find sheep the easy way. If you have the mental drive and determination it is a big step up...hard to explain how to get yourself ready, just be aware that mountian hunting is as much a mental game as it is a physical game.

Nothing wrong with buying actions used or rifles used, especially if you are planning on stripping the barrel off and having a gunsmith fully re-work it and build something from scratch. I only say this as a suggestion as rifle prices have jumped 10-20% and to find a good action to build off can be a very good idea. I personally like Winchester 70's, Remington 700's and Sako as it sounds like you're looking that way already....

If you can find an older Rem 700 Ti and swap out the stock that would personally be one of my choices for a good mountain rifle. Also the Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a swapped out stock is heck of a nice rig to start from as well. Or just start with a stainless action and build up from there, buying each component that you want and having it built from scratch.....

Last edited by Rackmastr; 01-01-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM

HS-Precision Pro Hunter Light.... possibly in 270 wsm... Awsome Mountain rifle, 1/2 moa guarantee, plenty of power for all game.

Worth considering ,,, IMO
Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM
jrs

"And another thing, how often does everyone bump into Grizzlies while in the mountains? How does one deal with such a situation, especially with a pack loaded up with meat!!???

I spent 8 days in Cadomin this year and on the 7th day we ran into a Griz and her 2 cubs. They were about 900 yards away. They were rate were we wanted to go. So we waited it out and let them make all of the moves. We were also on horse back so we took the long way around and did not see them after that."

Grizzlies come with the terrain. I hunt by Cadomin a lot and most grizzlies run off but i've had a few that required yelling and the chambering of a round. Luckily the yelling scared them off. I saw 12 out there two years ago and around 10 this last year, lots around, i can only think of three situations that made me really nervous though, they're usually running away as fast as they can.
Just always be careful and try not to be downslope. I know a couple guys that had a grizzly circle them while they dressed an elk in WMU 400, the next year a grizzly claimed half there elk as they packed a quarter at a time back to camp (grizzly moved in within a few hours). So issues come up, always abandon the last quarter and contact fish and wildlife, defence of meat won't stand up in court (unless its on your back i suppose).
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Default rifles

Check out New Ultra Light Arms NULA they will custom chamber any caliber about the same price as an HS Precision.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Tried and tested good gear:

Lowa GTX's
MSR Dragonfly/Expeditition
Marmot Helium
Kifaru Longhunter
Grey Wolf Woolens (wolfskin jacket/pants/fleece hoodie)
anti microbial polyester base layers from Cabelas (tech and polar weight)
Smartwool Socks
HH long underwear
Wiggy's Cagoule
Good gaiters
Leki Trekking poles
Big Agnes tent
Swarovski spotting scope
Kahles binos
Manfrotto tripod/pistol grip
HH Impertech bibs
Mountain House food
Lansky sharpener
Petzl headlamp

Head is spinning....need a break

You're in for a long, fun and expensive ride....HAVE A BLAST!!!!!

tm
Old 01-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Custom Mountain Rifle

I like the 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds. Great caliber and performance on big game.

Corlane's does great work. No opinions on the other gunsmiths...just that Corlanes is close to me and thats who I bought my first new rifle thru. Eventhou my new rifle that Corlane's recently built (Sako m75 Greywolf 338-06AI with new PacNor staineless match grade barrel) is not a mountain rifle, maybe a 25-06 for a sheep rifle wood work...if so I do have a new Sako ss 25-06 barrel I can sell you (taken off my project rifle)...lol for your Sako action based mountain rifle if a larger caliber is not needed due to bears.

A Sako action with a #3 or #4 fluted barrel in a Macmillan Edge stock would be sweet package.

Isn't custom project rifles so much fun!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Just in the process of getting one built as well-going with a 257 weatherby on a rem. 700 action with a H&S stock. Getting Corlanes to do most of the work.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM

For a rifle, if you like Sako, how about just picking up a new Sako A-7 in 270/300wsm or 7-08?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
a 257 stw, -madcarpenter
ive been studying/worshipping this caliber for a long time.
There is also a 257/300wby that is very similar in performance(there is not alot of info on it either),
it does need a long pipe 26-28" and long action, and carrying 10 rounds all add up to a couple of pounds.
ps when you get it built, PM me and I'll be there in a flash !!
performance is beyond wild!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Whats everyone's opinion on the Browning A-Bolt action???
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

trying to post

Last edited by rottie; 02-26-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Whats everyone's opinion on the Browning A-Bolt action???
A poor start to a custom rifle. In my humble opinion.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

I was in the same boat last year, I had went on a little short hunt and got hooked! I went and bought all kinds of gear to make a long story short it cost a bunch of cash but everything I bought was well worth it. The most expensive thing was the rifle scope and in my opinion that is the most important piece! Well I should say all the optics are the most important pieces. Swarovski is my brand of choice. I too looked at a custom mountain rifle but fell short on time, then turned to the tikka lite in 270 wsm, top it with a swarovski 4-12x50 with TDS-4, (wow TDS makes the long shots very easy) got a gun smith to work over the trigger and for fun put a very cool custom paint job on it, Its a shooter!!! The same gun smith is now building me a custom 300 ultra. It was my first real sheep hunt and I had the best and worst time of my life. The best part was killing a bueatiful ram at 418 yards on a general tag, the worst part was bringing it the 5+ miles back to camp on my back! the must haves out side the gun and optics are good boots, I good bag and if your like me and planning on leaving camp and not comming back the personal cook stove by jet boil was the ticket! Give me a PM if you are interested in having a look at the gun, I might get rid of it being I have another new one on the way.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM

I've built a few custom rifles and hunted a bit in the mountains. After a brief PM session with a friend tonight where I starting from scratch on a rifle and right handed, I'd buy this in 7mm-08:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._LSS_specs.asp

Sell the stock and add this:

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/stocks.html

Throw on these:

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

Top it with this:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s.../fx-ii-6x36mm/

And be done with it.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've built a few custom rifles and hunted a bit in the mountains. After a brief PM session with a friend tonight where I starting from scratch on a rifle and right handed, I'd buy this in 7mm-08:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._LSS_specs.asp
For the price of a new Rem LSS, you could likely find an old BDL SS or stainless SPS, and have a Gaillard or Shilen barrel stuck on it.

This will remove one variable (barrel quality) from the equation.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 AM

And that would be fine to. I think the blueprint has merit.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 AM

Actually a used original SA Ti would be a good route as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Actually a used original SA Ti would be a good route as well.
Good luck with that one... Finding one, that is.

What do you think of the 'Sheep Hunter' stock? It has no cheek piece and a narrowed forend.
I'm not really a fan of the name they used for it.

NEW - Remington 700 Sheep Hunter Short Action - Without cheekpiece. “Classic” style. Narrow forend. Originally made for the titanium actions. Weight 17.2 ounces. Specify ADL or BDL.

I have an original Bansner stock on my .338 and it's one of my favorite designs.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 01-03-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 AM

I was looking at that sheep hunter stock on line tonight actually. I'm not sure. It looks to be 1 oz lighter and with that narrower forend it might look a little better with a lighter contour barrel. I'm a lefty so it may not be an option for me anyway. If it ends up being an option I may just order one and see.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 AM

I guess it's the stock that Bansner used on his original Ultimate "Sheep Hunter" rifle, and the newer incarnation, the Ultimate "Ovis" rifle.

I never noticed it had no cheek piece. I thought they did.

According to my math, it's 1.7 ounces lighter.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Those no cheek pieces are a saving grace for me. It means a mirror flip of the inlet makes them left handed without making a new mould.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

hey boys, i got a pleasant surprise on my wife's fancy baby scale the other day while weighing my brand new sako a7 stainless .270 wsm....5 lb 15.5 ounces without the featherweight aluminum weaver bases attached....might have hit 6.0 even with the bases?

anyhow, website seemed to indicate that gun would be 6 5/8 lbs and my manual indicated it would weigh 6 3/8 lbs....so was off by a fair bit

my scope for this one is leupy vx3 6.5-20x40 lr with target elevation knob again and i had standard duplex reticle installed, with butler creek flips on it weighs in 1 lb 1.5 ounce and website says it should way 1 lb even....so the scale seems accurate....

waiting for the talley lightweights to show up, should only add a couple ounces tops i'm guessing, so with gun & scope on scale its 7 lb 1 ounce without rings

its got a sako action, maybe that will give you something else to choose from???

good luck

p.s. i'd be all over a 6.5 wsm pushing 140 bergers if looking custom myself right now