Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Savage Rifles

HI,

Shopping for a rifle and found some decent prices for Savage rifles. Anybody buy one of these rifles lately? How is the Accuracy, quality, etc? Thinking about 7mm Rem. I don't shoot often maybe about 20 rounds a year. The store has some combo deals with a Simmons scope that are quite affordable. Thanks for your efforts.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 AM

Savages are great rifles, but I would go with a Stevens 200 basic rifle and put a good set of rings and a good scope on it.
The package guns they sell are not well equipped.
Cat
Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 AM

Default Earlier POst

Hi Duckbrat

I posted this exact question a few weeks ago. Here is the link.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21691

I ended up buying my Dad a Savage Combo in 270. Next year I'll buy him a new scope to mount on it as the scope with the combo deals are not great.

Doodle
Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 AM

I bought a Stevens Mod 200/243 last Jan....tried 8 kinds of factory ammo/different weights/ just to get some brass before doin up my handloads. my gun LOOOOOVES the Win Super X 100 gr psp's....consistant cloverleafs @ 100 yds.....So several of my friends went the same route.....7MM rem mag(super x 175psp..fav).....22-250...(super x55 psp..fav).....270win(130 psp...fav)...seems like a big kowinkie-dink to me....These guns are amazingly accurate for the price of em.what you save in rifle costs, you can put towards better optics. Three of the four(above) guns are wearing Elite Scopes....the other has a target/varmint scope...Myself..I love the Savages !!!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 AM

The Savage rifles are good shooters, likely holding the best bang for your buck distinction.

The Accutrigger is a step forward once you become comfortable with it.

I'll second the opinion on the package guns, the optics are bargain basement junkers, and the rings and bases are definatly low end as well.

Stevens 200's are esentially the same rifle without the Accutrigger.

As for recommending loadings, well every rifle is an entity unto its self, and determining the best load is the shooters responsability.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you for your in depth and timely comments. It has helped me a great deal. Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:47 AM

If you wish down the road, they are easily customized too!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM

the savage combos seem to have a bit nicer stock, but still not great. They do have a removable magazine rather than top load which has its own pros and cons but some prefer the clip.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 PM

Smile

I shoot a svage in 270WSM with a bushnell elite 3200 3-9 it is a verry nice gun
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM

i used to have a savage weather warrior in 7mm rem mag and i found it to be very accurate for what i needed. you can get alot of gun for a cheaper price. when you buy the package you get a decent gun and crappy optics , but for what your talking about its probably good enough.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson_99 View Post
the savage combos seem to have a bit nicer stock, but still not great. They do have a removable magazine rather than top load which has its own pros and cons but some prefer the clip.

ive never understood why anyone would want a floorplate vs a detachable mag? maybe a floorplate with internal box, but id never own a floor plate that you have to load from the top. or a blind mag. about as annoying as unloading a lever action.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The Savage rifles are good shooters, likely holding the best bang for your buck distinction.
A lot of guys are now buying the Marlin XL7 instead of the Stevens 200 so it may have some competion in that department. However, the Marlin is currently only available in three calibres.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
ive never understood why anyone would want a floorplate vs a detachable mag? maybe a floorplate with internal box, but id never own a floor plate that you have to load from the top. or a blind mag. about as annoying as unloading a lever action.
I like a detach mag best. A floor plate can be loaded from the bottom, turn the gun upside down, flip open the plate and drop in a handfull of shells, you can do all this without spillin' yer Timmies too! Happy new year All.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Floorplates allow you to acheive a longer COL for reloaded ammunitions, thus allowing a greater degree in possable accuracy potential.

I've never understood why anyone needs a detachable magazine that can be lost, bent, ot otherwise damaged.

Also what do you need all this quick load and reload for?
Are you one of these jump out of the truck and hammer at em sort of guys?
Or is it I need to unload it quick because there is a F&W check stop ahead types?

There are pros and cons to both arrangements, what works for you does'nt necessarily work for me, therefore blatent stements like yours and my attempt at a bit of toungue and cheek, become pretty frivolous, so in reality there is your answer.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-01-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Myself I prefer floorplates. Can't lose or forget your mag at camp. Done that before.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM

i knew id get some crap for that..
all i mean is , you can carry your bullets in a mag, there all in the gun in a second , then there all out. you dont got to watch the to see where they land or spill out. but your right , its also my preference for when im poaching , truck hunting or avoiding the F&W after a good night hunt.

your right though, people like what they like.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
your right though, people like what they like.

you bet ya.
Just like some guys who prefer rifles without bolts and magazines.

Funny how those guys always seem to fill the larder as well.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Or is it I need to unload it quick because there is a F&W check stop ahead types?

It's too bad that we have to even think that way but there are too many of these around..... trophy hunters who use the road signs for rests.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Floorplates allow you to acheive a longer COL for reloaded ammunitions, thus allowing a greater degree in possable accuracy potential.

I've never understood why anyone needs a detachable magazine that can be lost, bent, ot otherwise damaged.

Also what do you need all this quick load and reload for?

There are pros and cons to both arrangements, what works for you does'nt necessarily work for me, therefore blatent stements like yours and my attempt at a bit of toungue and cheek, become pretty frivolous, so in reality there is your answer.
Here,Here, Well said!! If you don't have time to take your time, then you are rushing your shot. Not a good or safe practice.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
It's too bad that we have to even think that way but there are too many of these around..... trophy hunters who use the road signs for rests.
Phew! them trophy hunters gotta be tall to do that.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post

okay claudio.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM

I have the non-accutrigger package in .30-06. The scope and mounts suck (came loose the first range day, scope isn't very clear) and have long since been replaced by a Leupold VX-II and Leupold mounts. The gun itself shoots well, but if I was to do it over again, I'd probably get the rifle with the accutrigger. The trigger is a little heavy on it in my opinion, but to be fair, not half as bad as the stock trigger was on my 10/22. This can always be replaced of course...

As for the detachable magazine, it has it's quirks as well. When I first took it shooting, it kept popping out on me, as well as when my friends tried it. I think it might be the positioning of the magazine release, but I'm really not sure. Now that I'm conscious of it, it doesn't happen as often as it did, but if I were to do it over... I'd prefer a floorplate. Easy to load/unload, no stupid magazine. Last I checked, I think the new package guns had the blind/floorplate/detachable options...

A blind mag would just raise my blood pressure though... BUT a lot of the aftermarket stocks for Savages are intended for the blind mag models. Keep that in mind if you're going to go down that road...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
I have the non-accutrigger package in .30-06. The scope and mounts suck (came loose the first range day, scope isn't very clear) and have long since been replaced by a Leupold VX-II and Leupold mounts. The gun itself shoots well, but if I was to do it over again, I'd probably get the rifle with the accutrigger. The trigger is a little heavy on it in my opinion, but to be fair, not half as bad as the stock trigger was on my 10/22. This can always be replaced of course...

As for the detachable magazine, it has it's quirks as well. When I first took it shooting, it kept popping out on me, as well as when my friends tried it. I think it might be the positioning of the magazine release, but I'm really not sure. Now that I'm conscious of it, it doesn't happen as often as it did, but if I were to do it over... I'd prefer a floorplate. Easy to load/unload, no stupid magazine. Last I checked, I think the new package guns had the blind/floorplate/detachable options...

A blind mag would just raise my blood pressure though... BUT a lot of the aftermarket stocks for Savages are intended for the blind mag models. Keep that in mind if you're going to go down that road...
A blind mag is not that big a deal IMO, but then I'm a single shot guy so don't worry about stuff like magazines.

The triggers on the savages are all adjustable as well, so if you feel it is too heavy you can adjust it yourself , or have it adjusted.

Cat
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 AM

geoTrekr your rifle probably has the old side button mag release, if you take the stock off, you'll clearly see how it interacts with the mag and with a little bending you'll fix the engagement. Just go a little at a time because it's not out by much.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM

My wife has a savage rifle in 7mm-08, it is a very nice gun! i would reccomend not getting a package deal, you can get a better scope for a couple hundred bucks that will do a much better job. also try one with the accutrigger, the triggers are amazing and have more safety features. adjustable too. just my two sence!!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM

The difinitive word on Savage rifles seems to be this.... those that have owned one like them. Those who haven't owned one think they are cheap pieces of crap. LOL

I'd listen to those who tell you to shy away from the packages though. We all hear how important optics are, and when the package is only $70 more than the rifle by itself, well.......
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
troller

Agree with most. Don't go with the package. I wouldn't put another simmons on a gun if someone tried to force me too.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM

I've had/have a couple of Savages-all very good shooters. The ones without the accutrigger I ended up putting a timiney on them. The accutrigger works well.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Got the wife a Savage .22 for gofers, she loves it and can shoot it well. For the price I don't think you can go wrong, I stayed away from the package also, she likes the open sights.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Thank you for all your help

Wow great responses. I think I'll try one, now I need to decide if 30-06 or 7mm is the way to go. 7mm is great down range but 30-06 gives you so many options for bullet weight and the shells are cheaper. Thanks for all your wisdom.