Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks guys for all the help!!! I'm still unsure of what I'm going to settle on!!! There's just so many choices out there!!!

-madcarpenter
Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 AM

Guys,

Take a quick look at this link to see the rifles that a buddy and I built this past year. Not sheep rifles, but we are both incredibly happy with them.

My buddies rifle is on the first page, and mine on the second. You may have to log in to gunnuts to see the post.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=257112

The plan for this year is to order a Krieger Barrel. Last year we dealt with Ian Hames of Adams Lake Rifle barrels

http://www.riflebarrels.ca/index.html

and were very satisfied with his service.

We will also be ordering STILLER actions www.viperactions.com through Ian Robertson of Robertson Composites

http://www.robertsoncomposites.com/h...osites800.html

the same as we did last year. Service from Ian was excellent and we got our actions more quickley than anticipated. STILLER Makes two actions that meet our basic needs. The Predator and the TAC . Both are similar and are a significant improvement on the stock Remington 700.

For last years build,we used Mcmillan stocks

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks.php.

They are fantastic quality, but not cheap. They also will take quite some time to get.Their EDGE technology allows for a very strong yet light rifle stock. This year I am torn between their Hunters EDGE stock and the M40A1 model.

Henry Remple in Calgary did the metal work on our rifles last year and we were very satisfied. Henry is a great guy to deal with, and because he is in Calgary it makes him easily accessable. Turn around was something like a week or two.

I did all of the minor fitting and inletting as well as bedding on the rifles last year. They came out very well!

What all of this boils down to, is that you can build the perfect rifle for you and the hunting that you intend to do for just over $2000.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 AM

Everyone is worried about how many pounds the gun should be.....try putting yourself on the scale and go from there. Remember "SHEEP SHAPE"
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis40 View Post
Everyone is worried about how many pounds the gun should be.....try putting yourself on the scale and go from there. Remember "SHEEP SHAPE"
Whether or not a person is in shape has really no bearing on the fact that they may want to build a super hot rodded custom!

I am in no way out of shape, I work as a scaffolder , climbing and lifting all day.

Half the fun of owning a rifle is being able to design one form your own tastes!
Cat
Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
For the price of a new Rem LSS, you could likely find an old BDL SS or stainless SPS, and have a Gaillard or Shilen barrel stuck on it.

This will remove one variable (barrel quality) from the equation.
I would highly recommend Gaillard barrel I have one. USofA does not have monopoly on first class barrels.(Had one from south of the border it shot like a shotgun).

Buy cheap cry every day .