Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 AM

Question 500 yard 700 Ti???

I have a 700 Ti (original) in .308 and was thinking if trying to turn this into a medium range gun. I would like to be able to shoot this out to 500 yards consistently.

Given the lightweight construction of this gun do you think it will be capable of a 6 inch group @ 500 yds?

I have done a bunch of bench shooting out to 300 yards with other rifles of mine, so 500 shouldnt be too far of a stretch.

I have yet to test my handloads (150 TTSX) for this gun but once i have all the info I need i will use the JBM ballistics calculator to find out drop and such.
I was also thinking of ordering a speed dial elevation knob from Kenton Industries(thanks for the idea SC)

What do you guys think? Is it doable? or am I investing to much time in this gun?

Or would my PH Safari 270 be a better option for this application?

Also what are your opinions on the Vortex Diamondback scopes?
I was looking at a 4-12x40 for my 270 for 239.00 from Grouse River
Are they quality or should I get another VX-II 3-9x40 like on my 308?

Thanks guys

Brian
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 AM

6" at 500 yards is not a unreasonable for a good rifle.
I wouldn't personally own a rifle with a scope on it that was not able to do that from a solid rest.
both the 700 and PH should be able to do that with no problem.
However, are you talking about shooting targets for fun or hunting?
Cat
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM

This Ti 260 could do it. Easily.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 AM

Default rifle

you should be able to accomplish this, with either rifle, but get a quality scope. and do lots of practiceing.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 PM

These are my hunting rifles, i basically want to be confident with them out to 500, chances are I wont have to shoot game at that distance but id rather be really confident in a 350-400yd situation and know that i can lay down decent groups at that range.

eventually i would like tto do this with my 300WSM as well

Scope on the 308 is a Century Edition Leupold 3x9x40 with the long rane recticle. I think it will be up to the task.

The rifle is basically new, 21 shells down the pipe 20 downrange for sight in and 1 DRT whitetail this season

The rifle puts down cloverleafs @ 100yds on occasion(probably better groups if i had a decent set up to shoot off of).

I will be upgrading the scope on my PH 270 soon and am looking for suggestions as to scope type. I dont really want to go more than 300$

3x9 , or 4x12 ? brands

thanks for the input

Brian
Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
These are my hunting rifles, i basically want to be confident with them out to 500, chances are I wont have to shoot game at that distance but id rather be really confident in a 350-400yd situation and know that i can lay down decent groups at that range.

eventually i would like tto do this with my 300WSM as well

Scope on the 308 is a Century Edition Leupold 3x9x40 with the long rane recticle. I think it will be up to the task.

The rifle is basically new, 21 shells down the pipe 20 downrange for sight in and 1 DRT whitetail this season

The rifle puts down cloverleafs @ 100yds on occasion(probably better groups if i had a decent set up to shoot off of).

I will be upgrading the scope on my PH 270 soon and am looking for suggestions as to scope type. I dont really want to go more than 300$

3x9 , or 4x12 ? brands

thanks for the input

Brian
First off all fixed parralax, and more so lower cost scopes are going to have optical inperfections,and inconsistancies that will make repeatable results at 500yds, pretty much akin to winning the 649.(not quite but get the drift)

Your not going to be happy with even a $400.00 fixed objective scope trust me, the parralax cant be minimized at 150yds, and still not be there at 500yds, no way no how.

This is a very classic case of trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I would start with a 4-12 VXII with an adjustable objective and go from there, when your talking 500yds, optics do matter, likely more than the rifle, but still behind the shooter ability.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM

I don't think that having a scope without parallax adjustment is that big a deal.
I haven't shot paper at that range, but hitting gongs at 500 didn't seem too bad to me, maybe I should buy a 649 ticket . I do agree on getting the best quality glass one can afford, sometimes used scopes are the best way to get good glass at a decent price.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

your rifle sounds accurate enough to me, i think you'll be surprised what you can do with it at 500 yrds

my little 3-9x33 leupy ultralight shot great to that distance on the two 3 shot groups i took and the lone shot on the rock at 700 and it doesn't have AO, the error must not be that much i'm guessing but someone will likely correct....i thought in the manual for the scope it said something about being barely out at a certain range 4-500 yrds maybe? and no more than 3/4"???? anyone freshly read on the leupy manual?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

There are a fair number of forum members that shoot with open sights, accurately at that range and further. You should be able to do so even with a Tasco mounted on your rifle.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Keep the black ring within the ocular lens equal all the way around the site picture and parallax will become a non issue. At least that has been my experience.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-02-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
There are a fair number of forum members that shoot with open sights, accurately at that range and further. You should be able to do so even with a Tasco mounted on your rifle.
Bet you it wont.
You are not in full comprehension of the nuances of optical inconsistancies.
You have zero paralax with iron sights, you have to deal with that only with optics, and a scope without a means of paralax correction is gonna give you fits at long range.

Unless your practiced enough to hold exactly the same every single time WRT the ocular lens of the scope as Chuck indicated

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Bet you it wont.
You are not in full comprehension of the nuances of optical inconsistancies.
You have zero paralax with iron sights, you have to deal with that only with optics, and a scope without a means of paralax correction is gonna give you fits at long range.

Unless your practiced enough to hold exactly the same every single time WRT the ocular lens of the scope as Chuck indicated
You can criticize me and tell me about all the nuances you like. You come across a bit condescending, especially when you have no idea who I am or anything about my background. I used to shoot for a living.

My point was that investing a pile of cash is not always necessary to shoot accurately, even at extended ranges.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

OK you win,

There are no absolutes
Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I used to shoot for a living.
just curious, can i ask what that job was?

Quote:
investing a pile of cash is not always necessary to shoot accurately.
a 'pile of cash' is an ambiguous statement at best...bradtothebones' or ATR's idea of a custom rifle 'cash pile' is certainly different than mine!

spending money in certain areas almost always proves rewarding, this is especially true in better-than-average optics, im sure you know that.
i would think you can spend all the time you want shooting an entry level gun at (extended) ranges only to acheive 'acceptable' results. when perhaps a higher quality machine would better showcase your efforts.
by the way Chuck, that is a nice looking 260Ti...30mm, twisty bolt, anodized shroud. ssswweeett! thumbs up!!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM

If you want to see how the paralax will possibly effect POI @ 500 yards just set your gun in the bags and aim at something at 500 yards. Not touching the gun when you look through the scope move your head around and take note of how the crosshair wanders. This is the extreme ammount of movement as if you have good consistent form, cheek weld, etc it would never wander this much. On a couple of my rigs I have no paralax adjustment and I can still hold under MOA at this distance with consistency.

If you plan to do alot of long range shooting/paper punching you want to be able to adjust your paralax.

The further you get away from where your paralax is set the more of an issue it becomes.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
i basically want to be confident out to 500, but id rather be really confident in a 350-400yd situation and know that i can lay down decent groups at that range.
Brian
i agree with your logic, like having make a followup shot. i have a 3.5x10 leupold on my wby's and although ive never shot at a deer at 500, it looks pretty little in the scope when I just look at them.
I'd like to think that swaro 12 or maybe 14 would be considered...
whoops! i just reread you wanted to spend $300...hmmmm, i thought it said $1300. DooHHH! LOL.. not sure then. im certainly no accountant!
shoot on!
roger

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the help guys, i will have to see what this rifle can do.
I will stick with the same scope for now and find its limits.

I dont forsee shooting a 500 yard deer but knowing I can shoot 500 will boost my confidence big time on a 350 yard shot wich is more likely to happen. Being confident in your equipment is key, i wont hunt with a rifle till I am certain that it is shooting well and would not take a shot I am not confident in taking.

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I have yet to test my handloads (150 TTSX) for this gun but once i have all the info I need i will use the JBM ballistics calculator to find out drop and such.
You can use calculations to estimate trajectory and windage,but to find out what the real trajectory and windage is with your load,you need to shoot your load out of your rifle.Both can differ by inches from the calculations at 500 yards.
As far as scopes are concerned,I have had no problems shooting 4" groups at 500 yards with fixed objective 3x9x40 and 3x10x42 scopes.However without adjustable parallax,your head positioning is critical at longer distances.
And when shooting at longer distances,you will require a good laser rangefinder to estimate ranges.