Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Default can you challenge the fac?

can you?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 PM

You can for sure challenge the PAL no longer called FAC......
Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 PM

Sort of...

I bought the textbook for my PAL and did 'home study' and then went to one class where we took the written and practical test in the same day. The class was a good last minute refresher, took about an hour or two.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM

I challenged the test through the AHEIA:

http://www.aheia.com/
Old 01-01-2009, 06:48 PM

I had an "FAC" since 1986 but had let it lapse. When I got the FAC, it was just paperwork, no safety course involved. I took my safety course as part of my hunter training course. When I decided to get my "PAL" i went ahead and took the safety course again. I have to admit it was mainly a joke, and common sense, but there is no such thing as "too safe". People could theoretically have had an older "FAC" and then upgrade to a "PAL" by challenging the tests, without ever going through a safety course. Perhaps I am remembering my facts incorrectly? But I think that the safety course part, whether as part of the PAL or part of hunter safety should be mandatory in all cases to own a firearm.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Default PAL Challenge

AHEIA's web page should have a calander of events and at least once a month they offer a chance to just write the exam without taking the course.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 AM

I challenged the PAL after reading the book several times in advance and writing down the meaning of the two safety acronyms (PROVE & ACTS iirc) to help me remember them. Despite years of firearms & hunting experience, I learned a few things from the book.

I also was fortunate enough that the tester did a very quick review of firearms actions before the test. It was at that point that I realized I would have learned something from the course. It was not a biggy, but the instructor showed me how to properly decock a lever action rifle. doh.

If you can, take the course. You'll probably learn some things, and you'll meet people who share your passion for hunting.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM

You can challenge the restricted licence as well. I'm workin' on gettin' ready for that.