Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
i was unable to drop anything last year due to over abundant of shooters in my area, i can come and take away 1-2 from you and hopefully make the rest skittish of coming back for awhile lol
There is means of protecting your hay other than shooting pregnant cows weeks away from calving. I would look at other options.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM

Stack your bales right next to the barn and plug in a radio. Stack your bales with the flat end down and wrap snow fence (or chain link if you have it) around the stack right against the bales. Tie a dog up near the bales, just make sure he has a sturdy house he can retreat into. I had never thought of a mannequin or scarecrow before but that should work. The radio alone worked for us.

Trapper Gord will sell you some wolf urine. I don't think it will work as elk live in wolf territory all of the time.

You could sacrifice 1 bale to save the stack and start intercept feeding if the herd isn't too large.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=6mm rem;3490525]There is means of protecting your hay other than shooting pregnant cows weeks away from calving. I would look at other options.[/QUOTE. Most anterless elk harvested in hunting season would be pregnant so the only difference is the size of the fetus.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Do you have any straw bales? When i used to haul bales in the grande prairie area i had a few farmers get me to unload straw bales around there hay to make a wall. Not sure if it worked though.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
Do you have any straw bales? When i used to haul bales in the grande prairie area i had a few farmers get me to unload straw bales around there hay to make a wall. Not sure if it worked though.

This is a good option.
Elk are tough to keep out and ever tougher once they've started.
One other option is get fencing from f&w and use 2x4s for posts and just prop the fence up around your stack for temporary protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 AM

No offence guys but wolf urine, radios,strobe lights or a elk carcass doesn't work in elk country. A 7' page wire fence will work,slow feed bale nets work . Yesterday I decided to feed right beside my tractor as I worked on it,8 head moved in within 20 yards of me..and stayed there. They can kill a dog and my neighbor had a spike bull spear one of her horses ,creating an awful neck wound. On the flip side,a guy gets pretty familiar with their chatter which is useful in hunting season.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM

I have had elk problems in the past. If they are hungry and have nothing else to eat it's pretty hard to get them to stop once they start coming. Stacking straw around the hay will work if you have straw. Elk will destroy that plastic snow fence pretty much instantly. I have most of my hay in a high fence now which works good, but even if you get the wire supplied it is still a big project, 10 and 12 ft posts are expensive and it takes a bit to put it all up. The wire is just one part of what you need. Having all your hay stacked in one spot is not really a smart thing either in the case of a fire. The last time I had issues the only way I could keep them away was to feed them 3/4 of a mile away from my yard, and as soon as they ate what I put out they would be back in my yard. I was paid for the hay which was ok but there was lots of snow that year and packing those bales out for the elk was not an easy job. Getting some Indians to shoot some is an option too. A big herd can do a lot of damage in a short time. Some people have no idea what it's like until they experience it first hand.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
snip
I know fencing it off is the best but not happening right now due to cost.
snip
Quote:
snip
by the way this is prime thoroughbred grass hay i'm using for spring training the racehorses, am training 14 and the elk are eating it as fast as the horses.
snip
You can afford to keep 14 race horses, but are unable or unwilling to build proper fences?
Even with free (public supplied and paid for) wire?
And your solution is to just kill hungry (and probably pregnant) animals?
IMHO, you are the problem, and you already know where to find sympathy.

Last edited by qwert; 03-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 AM

I have had elk climb up on the bales,the cows are as smart as any horse,imo. Once I had a cow and calf get trapped inside my barn ,jumping a 5 foot panel,I always check things at the end of the day.Well ,I went in the dark barn with a headlamp and the cow came after me and I jumped up on a trailer and grabbed a pitchfork. I then ran for the door and opened it and then took cover again,and they left.I now have a 7' panel there now.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Never have the best quality bales in the neighborhood. Grow a little bit lower quality hay than the neighbor next year. The critters go for the best groceries. Friend was wondering how come he had no critters bothering his bales this year unlike previous years. They were at the neighbors place this year, he had fertilized and planted a higher protein strain of alphalfa mix.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, you are the problem, and you already know where to find sympathy.
He is not the problem. The elk are the problem. This year he needs something done and has to make a choice between his horses and the elk. No one should be obligated to feed nuisance animals at the expense of his own. If FN can help that is an option. Yes, some pregnant cows may be killed, but then maybe the populations may be reduced so that the nuisance will not be worse next year.

How opposed are you to having the pregnant cows shot? Enough to get some guys together, spending some money on lumber and helping build an elk proof fence? I know I don't have time for that and suppose you can't or will not do that. The OP knows what will work. That is what he should do. He does not need permission form anyone here.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
There is means of protecting your hay other than shooting pregnant cows weeks away from calving. I would look at other options.
that's why you don't shoot the pregnant one's
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Yes a fence is in order, for next year. I know that is the best solution, but have lots going on right now, plus its probably -30 with the windchill, hense the elk problem. The whole herd didn't move in til it got cold. Called fish and wildlife their local office is closed till the end of march, left a message. Not to big on shooting pregnant cows, but for anyone that has livestock and their feed is dissappearing kinduv a no brainer. Last year the herd was about 15 -20, this year about 30, next year i'm guessing up to 50. So population control is in order next fall. Rounded them up on the sled last night about 2 am and let some rounds off that was a rodeo. Elk running around with my hay hanging out of their mouths. Lot's of good ideas here will be trying some and see which works. Txs
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yes a fence is in order, for next year. I know that is the best solution, but have lots going on right now, plus its probably -30 with the windchill, hense the elk problem. The whole herd didn't move in til it got cold. Called fish and wildlife their local office is closed till the end of march, left a message. Not to big on shooting pregnant cows, but for anyone that has livestock and their feed is dissappearing kinduv a no brainer. Last year the herd was about 15 -20, this year about 30, next year i'm guessing up to 50. So population control is in order next fall. Rounded them up on the sled last night about 2 am and let some rounds off that was a rodeo. Elk running around with my hay hanging out of their mouths. Lot's of good ideas here will be trying some and see which works. Txs
I have felt your pain.
Honestly the only thing that worked for me was a scare cannon for a short time. Supplied to me by F and W as soon as I spoke to them. Other than a fence, nothing is full proof.
I had the best German Shepard guard dogs you could want and I eventually had to make sure they didn't feel like they had to protect us from them as the elk would have eventually killed them. As other guys have stated also.
I tried wolf urine, for me it didn't work but I'm in wolf country and maybe they are to used to their smell. A hungry belly rules all of us.

On a happy note, I found they move out after a couple weeks or so if you do keep chasing them away. Maybe it had to do with the weather getting better to. Like any wild animal, I think they would rather keep away from us.
Keep at it and good luck.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
that's why you don't shoot the pregnant one's
Are you saying shoot all the bulls and calves or are you going to preg test them first before you commence your cull?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 AM

What about rubber bullets or bean bags? No idea if that is possible but just a thought
Old 03-10-2017, 11:18 AM

how about this?

http://www.roboticdecoys.com/predators/

Use solar power for movement.

Would a life size moving wolf decoy work?

Would be cool to see.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Sounds like elk have been around for awhile. You'd be crazy not to take the wire if it's being supplied. Yes post will be expensive but they will last a long time. $$$ saved on hay not wasted every year should cover the post pretty quick. If worst comes to worst and they bother the fence after its built, may have to sacrifice a couple bales a year and put it out somewhere else for them to keep them away from stackyard, put it somewhere else like on your neighbors place
Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

fish and wildlife compensates farmers for lost feed as long as you do things like allow access to hunters.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
fish and wildlife compensates farmers for lost feed as long as you do things like allow access to hunters.
I doubt that helps much and the hay is for cattle, not for compensation. Unless you have experienced the problem please don't run them down. Once the elk pee on the hay the cattle won't eat it. F&W will supply a fence. So what. They should put it up as well or allow the shooting to begin. This has not been an easy year for farmers.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
If they are still around by archery season please feel free to contact me. I would love to get me my first elk.
Yep let me know as well...If it's open for archery I'd be willing to try and help with the problem.

We keep hay tarps on our bale stacks located in water valley.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM

Default Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
I was going to suggest building a fence of straw bales and a very tall gate solid if possible. Critters are more likely not to try to get through it if they can't see through it.
If need be sell the draw bales in the summer and buy new in the fall so you always have a fresh fence for the winter.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Is allowing hunting one of the criteria to get compensation? I've never heard that. Not disputing it, just never heard that stipulation. Seems a reasonable one, given that hunters are footing the compensation bill.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
Are you saying shoot all the bulls and calves or are you going to preg test them first before you commence your cull?
Did i say shoot all the bulls and calves? no i did not, i said 1-2 which doesnt even register as a culling and its pretty easy to spot a bull from a cow. Heck there are probably still more than a handful running around with the antlers yet that haven't fallen off
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I doubt that helps much and the hay is for cattle, not for compensation. Unless you have experienced the problem please don't run them down.
you are trying to tell me that for money you can not purchase hay?

quit the fairy tales, it's not open season because you're not compensated the way you like.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Did i say shoot all the bulls and calves? no i did not, i said 1-2 which doesnt even register as a culling and its pretty easy to spot a bull from a cow. Heck there are probably still more than a handful running around with the antlers yet that haven't fallen off
How is shooting 1 -2 going to help? That is a band-aid fix. If you dont fix the root of the problem they will keep coming back for a free lunch, not unlike certain members of society. High fence would be my answer.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 PM

It going to be a bit tough to pound posts in with the ground this frozen.

If you need some help building the fence this spring/summer, send me a PM.
My son and I.......and probably a friend would be willing to come out and provide the grunt labor. Get that fence set up in day........did a lot of fencing growing up on the farm.

It would be a good chance for you to meet us, get to know that we show the respect due, to land owners........and perhaps let us cull some of those problem elk come legal hunting season/tags.

I know this isn't a solution for you right now, until April at least,.......

And ignore the grumpy ones here....they have been cooped up too long this winter.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Elk

A local farmer had deer all over his bails and he finally used Salt Peter and they quite, and his cows had no issue eating the feed. Worth a try.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Ten hour round trip might be worth it for this FN hunter. One less elk is one less elk. Might even be able to convince the wife to buy a utility trailer if it means I can get more than one, haha.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM

A cd player with Justin Beiber and Brittney Speers on loop...