Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Wolves: What If Scenario

I'm on a logging road, at about 650 yds I see the first, alpha female. She goes up around the corner. 15 mins later here comes alpha male, huge!
It takes a diff route into cutblock.
10 min or so they start howling/hunting.
Another 15 mins and about 265 yds out come 3 more, the young.

Screwed up my shot, low.

Wolves buggered off, that ended their hunt and I'm sure they will leave this area of bush, but what's your take on this? Would you go to a diff spot, or stick it out, and stay?

This is real scenario, just happened me.

For the record, I am going to hold tight. I believe the bush will settle and deer will resume normal movement.

Thoughts?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM

They were traveling in that direction for a reason , so i would head in the direction they were going and hope they do a reroute around .

They might come out a mile behind from where you shot if there not hurt, never know.

Best of lucK
JD
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 AM

What if your uncle had boobs………….

Read my signature line.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-29-2021, 12:12 PM

You could have a deer walk by at any second, you could have a wolf push one to you, or the deer could all hunker down in the thick crap to avoid the wolves

Who knows how it plays out

Myself I prefer to target calm deer that are not on edge so if I have predators in a location I target a different spot. This is just my choice and doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong I just have more confidence if the deer are not pushed by wolves
Old 11-29-2021, 12:18 PM

At JD848, when I saw the first wolf I knew there was likely to be anotber show up there, briefly thought about going down there.

But I'm deer hunting. My question is how are the deer going to react after wolves?

They sure would have been on full alert when the wolves were howling.

I'm staying put, so I guess I'll find out....
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 12:21 PM

pack up and go to the range and practice shooting, cant hit a wolf might not hit a deer either.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
pack up and go to the range and practice shooting, cant hit a wolf might not hit a deer either.
Yep, have to agree.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM

^ Haha... actually sighted in dead-on at 100 yds, intended for hunting in the timber. Held right on the wolf needed to hold over due to how I had 100 zero set. I was supposed to rember to hold high on 250 yd shots but forgot... So shot low.

But you are right, I should hit the range and re-zero the rifle.

But at least it was only a runt wolf, not a monster whitetail, and at least I know why/how I missed, so it's all good.

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 11-29-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:18 PM

You better shoot the next deer you see. If you don't get it the wolves will. They are not going to leave that area, they are within 'their' home range. They might be gone for a week or ten days but they will be back. You only need a deer for one year/tag, they need to eat every few days. I have a dislike for what wolves have done to some WMU's.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:38 PM

I'm not a fan of wolves either. We have had so many moose hunts ruined by the bastards.

I certainly wish I had remembered proper hold-over on that wolf!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Read my signature line.

I wasn't going to reply to such an inane question, but since you just posted naked pics, I know you def' have man-boobs.

So I ask, does it run in your family?

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Read my signature line.

Then he is suffering from Male Menopause!

Next Question please?

Drewski
Old 11-29-2021, 08:37 PM

So just reviewed .300H&H trajectory data. Wow, no wonder I missed that wolf today!

First thing: normal 200gr load velocity is 2913fps. I only load the 200gr bullets to 2700fps.

With a 100 yard zero, as I used, a 180gr projectile is ~8" low, at the 265 yd distance I fired. So combine that with the slow-poke load I use in a heavier 200gr bullet, which would drop even more than the 180gr, and I had no chance with the aim I took.

I needed to be something like 8"-12" above the back of that wolf.

Just for fyi for myself if no-one else...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
So just reviewed .300H&H trajectory data. Wow, no wonder I missed that wolf today!

First thing: normal 200gr load velocity is 2913fps. I only load the 200gr bullets to 2700fps.

With a 100 yard zero, as I used, a 180gr projectile is ~8" low, at the 265 yd distance I fired. So combine that with the slow-poke load I use in a heavier 200gr bullet, which would drop even more than the 180gr, and I had no chance with the aim I took.

Sorry, not sure what I’m missing as to why you were 8” low at 100 yards?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:54 PM

I zeroed my .300H&H to be dead-on at 100 yards, so today had an approx 265 yd shot.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about the shot distance.

I held dead-on the center of the lungs, without remembering how I had zeroed the rifle.

I needed to hold over the back of it like 8"-12" or something, given the yardage, and how I had zeroed the rifle.

I'm just glad it was not on a monster whitetail.

Lesson learned.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 PM

Get ahead of them. Shoot the nicest one and if they mill around take another if you get a chance. Lots of scabby wolves, take the nice one. Quick decision with wolves. I've called them before and got a glimpse of a single wolf and on the walk out I saw there was 8 or 10 of the buggers by the tracks they left and poof...they were gone. The big cutblocks are really hard because the regrowth and the stumps hide them and they tend to spread out as they pass thru and maybe hunt mice or rabbits till they hit real timber again. Just my 2 cents. I'm not a wolf hunter but I stand hunt and watch close. They move fast.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:53 AM

Your first mistake is having A 100yd zero, next is not having your velocity up close to where it’s supposed to be and third not knowing what your bullet drop is out to as far as you intend to shoot.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:24 AM

Default wolves

If the wolves are hunting your area they will be 'Eating" You wont however be eating.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Your first mistake is having A 100yd zero, next is not having your velocity up close to where it’s supposed to be and third not knowing what your bullet drop is out to as far as you intend to shoot.
You are 100% correct on all points sir!

@ Big Grey Wolf: I've turned down multiple bucks already. Holding out for a big buck, or tag soup.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'm on a logging road, at about 650 yds I see the first, alpha female. She goes up around the corner. 15 mins later here comes alpha male, huge!
It takes a diff route into cutblock.
10 min or so they start howling/hunting.
Another 15 mins and about 265 yds out come 3 more, the young.

Screwed up my shot, low.

Wolves buggered off, that ended their hunt and I'm sure they will leave this area of bush, but what's your take on this? Would you go to a diff spot, or stick it out, and stay?

This is real scenario, just happened me.

For the record, I am going to hold tight. I believe the bush will settle and deer will resume normal movement.

Thoughts?
I don’t know that I understand the “what if”. If you believe there are deer in the area stay there.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Why not maximize your point blank range with a 3" high at 100 sight in?
Also in my experience you are done hunting that patch for the day.

Last edited by brewster29; 11-30-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:10 PM

I would think with a 100 yard zero and a 265 yard shot your hold shouldn’t be 8-12 inches over the wolves back with that 300. I would think it’s an upper third hold on the wolf so still on fur and let it eat. Just my opinion tho. Lots of variables when shooting also.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I would think with a 100 yard zero and a 265 yard shot your hold shouldn’t be 8-12 inches over the wolves back with that 300. I would think it’s an upper third hold on the wolf so still on fur and let it eat. Just my opinion tho. Lots of variables when shooting also.
If you’re using a load with similar trajectory as the OP then you are the next guy to under shoot a wolf. Just my opinion tho.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:01 PM

^ Factory spec for 200gr in the .300H&H is 2915fps at the muzzle. I've got mine loaded to a modest 2700 and a bit.

I've killed deer at 200 yards before, when I had the normal 2"-3" high at 100 yard zero.

But this year, cuz I thought I'd be in the timber I deliberately dropped to point-blank at 100, with the thought process that I had to remember to hold-over on longer shots.

And I just plumb forgot about the hold-over.

Cowmanbob is right, the next guy shooting that load, with that aim point woulda also shot low.

Now then: my intention is to heat up that load. Get it up toward 2850fps-2900fps, at best accuracy of course.

Then I will do some extended range shooting to actually understand trajectory of whatever that load ends up at, plus determine best 100 yard zero.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-01-2021, 10:19 AM

Hi Phil ... i would stay in stand/spot for the day

when wolves move into a area the deer head for the dense bush

i have seen when a pack of 14 walk right by a 5x5 mule deer buck

he was on a mill cut bedded and stayed .. less than 100yds

here is a posted i did on calling them in
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820

the deer moved out of old growth into cut n slipped out of valley

the wolves came to me as i distressed Elk called

did the calling sequence again 6 days later 10miles away got 2 out of 3

a loping wolf travel miles in half a day and territories are big

as always this is

Food for Thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user20496_pic8971_1415250601 (2).jpg (95.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic10660_1536019070.jpg (64.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg user20496_pic9100_1419488852.jpg (41.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 09:04 PM

^ Nice info big guy!

https://www.nosler.com/300-holland-holland-magnum

Here's load data from Nosler. Seems 2915fps is not exactly correct. I will have to refer to more sources for data of course.

I'm actually thinking that I might switch back to the old .30-06 with 165gr Hornady BTSP. I've got a load for that that shoots 2850fps and is very accurate.

It's actually been quite awhile since I've carried that old girl... Remington M700, 1979 manufacture, back when Remington still made decent rifles.
It's in a Wildcat Composite stock, 3-9x Bausch & Lomb Balvar.

Burns significantly less powder that the big .300H&H and the rifle weighs a couple pounds less.

Damn I can't wait for next hunting season to roll around!!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-01-2021, 09:12 PM
Banned

Have you shot these loads through a chronograph or at distance to verify your dope?
Or just using the velocity from the book?
Old 12-01-2021, 10:12 PM

^ Those numbers are straight from Nosler book.

For my handloading I always use the Chrony to verify velocities and work up loads.

I always try for the best accuracy, never worrying about max' velocity, although very often best accuracy is attained as you get toward max loads.

I know the powder I've been using in the .300H&H is IMR-4350, but I forget what my load is.

I do know my avg vel is something a bit over 2700fps. That's with the 200gr Nosler Accubond.

Phil Shoemaker