Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Serious question - how do you know your bullet went through both shoulders if you didn't recover the animal. You sure you didn't punch through and miss all the important stuff?

A shoulder shot usually means they don't go to far, both shoulders would be a near miracle wouldn't it?
He meant the bullet wasn’t recovered
Old 12-26-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Serious question - how do you know your bullet went through both shoulders if you didn't recover the animal. You sure you didn't punch through and miss all the important stuff?

A shoulder shot usually means they don't go to far, both shoulders would be a near miracle wouldn't it?
The bullet wasn’t recovered. The elk is in the freezer 😂, I’ve only ever recovered 1 bullet from the 25 and it’s because I shot head long on a mule deer 250~m bullet was stopped on the pelvis. I guess a stouter bullet could have went all the way through 🤷🏼

Last edited by Dubious; 12-26-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:48 AM
Banned

If I bought another 257 I would be using the sciroccos over the Barnes guaranteed
Old 12-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
The bullet wasn’t recovered.
Ah .... OK ... sorry - a little slow on the uptake this morning - too much food in the belly over the last few days, not enough blood in my brain ....
Old 12-26-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If I bought another 257 I would be using the sciroccos over the Barnes guaranteed
Well the secret is out now, I use the scriccos in both my setups but you guys wouldn’t like them should probably stick to something else.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Ive seen neck shots where an animal moves just at the break of the trigger
Not pretty
I had a deer do that when I had a solid lung shot and it turned into a gut shot.
Luckily I was able too put another into its back as it headed straight up the vertical river break. I probably would not have been able to recover it otherwise. The thing had not moved for two minutes before that!
It is what convinced me to quit shooting animals at extended ranges.
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I had a deer do that when I had a solid lung shot and it turned into a gut shot.
Luckily I was able too put another into its back as it headed straight up the vertical river break. I probably would not have been able to recover it otherwise. The thing had not moved for two minutes before that!
Cat
Same but a hind leg shot. For me it moved down though and no second shot opportunity. Took a few hours to find it, half in the rain but it was bleeding a lot and lots of meat wasted, but at least found. Didn’t move seemed like forever prior and then kind of jumped just before the bang.

Edit: I was shooting 30-06, if I recall correctly. Maybe if I was shooting 257 wby, the bullet would have made there just in time

Last edited by fishnguy; 12-26-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Same but a hind leg shot. For me it moved down though and no second shot opportunity. Took a few hours to find it, half in the rain but it was bleeding a lot and lots of meat wasted, but at least found. Didn’t move seemed like forever prior and then kind of jumped just before the bang.

Edit: I was shooting 30-06, if I recall correctly. Maybe if I was shooting 257 wby, the bullet would have made there just in time
Mine wasn't with a 257 Bee mind you, but a 6.5 wildcat that was running a muzzle velocity better than 3,200 FPS.
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Mine wasn't with a 257 Bee mind you, but a 6.5 wildcat that was running a muzzle velocity better than 3,200 FPS.
Cat
That’s the problem right there. It wasn’t a Grendel 🤷*♂️
Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I need to go out and get one of those new chassis rifles in 6.5 Grendel and shoot factory ammo out if it - THANKS FOR THE TIP , MARK! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!!
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I need to go out and get one of those new chassis rifles in 6.5 Grendel and shoot factory ammo out if it - THANKS FOR THE TIP , MARK! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!!
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
hahahaha
Old 12-26-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Cat
Did you sell your Huskemaw after that happened???
Old 12-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Heck no, couldn't give that danged thing away ! LOL
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hey leave the Huskemaws out of it. I had one for a few months and it was way better than the Tasco I had on my 22 as a kid.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
lmfao, you could do worse, I think that's what marky is trying to say, you guys should see what those crazy guys on rokslide have been doing with .223's and 77gr tmk's, I'm apparently compensating
Old 12-26-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
lmfao, you could do worse, I think that's what marky is trying to say, you guys should see what those crazy guys on rokslide have been doing with .223's and 77gr tmk's, I'm apparently compensating
I shoot 80 grainers out of a .223 and I do it all the way to 1K with irons and sling, long bullets in small calibers is nothing new.....
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 01:10 PM
Banned

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ulling-results

this was an interesting read and you could get a great cross section of ideas from this .257 Weatherby cull thread...my take is...a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140-147's would have run with that .257 neck and neck if not bettering it on all those kills to 700 yards and burned 1/3rd the powder doing it...ymmv

I know there are lots of barnes lovers here and I can't offer first hand as I just prefer over time a different formula than what delayed controlled expansion bullets give. I was just talking with a long time stormy kromer wearin, high horsepower shootin, barrel chested, 1 ton driven, elk slayin friend...and he just said that he's had enough unexpected rodeo's with barnes now as to make switching to a different formula a priority, they gotta try and keep them elk planted so as to avoid the hassles of things dying on the wrong side of the fence. Take that for what it's worth but if you had to have a picture of a barnes shooter then it would likely be this guy lol. If he reads this he will laugh, heck his middle name could be barnes...but he knows I described him to a tee haha. Mostly, he's fond of big league ballistics so I have no doubt he will always shoot big horsepower but looks like he will find different bullets now that's he's give these barnes a run, he's looking for more consistent short recovery performance.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-26-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I shoot 80 grainers out of a .223 and I do it all the way to 1K with irons and sling, long bullets in small calibers is nothing new.....
Cat
it was new to me, they shootin elk and moose with em and flattening them, sort of makes our discussions here a little moot, if you want some good holiday reading head to rokslide firearms forum and find the .223 for deer/bear etc. thread lol, it's a couple years deep and many many kills and necropsy discussed, not that we can apply that exact thing here but we can certainly apply a similar formula with legal diameter bullets, just good bedtime reading is all, over there I'm over-gunned...that was new lol

so there's definitely some formulas that work very well out there...it's a broad spectrum, some may be more consistent than others? as we keep discussing
Old 12-26-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Hey leave the Huskemaws out of it. I had one for a few months and it was way better than the Tasco I had on my 22 as a kid.
Glad it worked out for you buddy!
Old 12-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ulling-results

this was an interesting read and you could get a great cross section of ideas from this .257 Weatherby cull thread...my take is...a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140-147's would have run with that .257 neck and neck if not bettering it on all those kills to 700 yards and burned 1/3rd the powder doing it...ymmv

I know there are lots of barnes lovers here and I can't offer first hand as I just prefer over time a different formula than what delayed controlled expansion bullets give. I was just talking with a long time stormy kromer wearin, high horsepower shootin, barrel chested, 1 ton driven, elk slayin friend...and he just said that he's had enough unexpected rodeo's with barnes now as to make switching to a different formula a priority, they gotta try and keep them elk planted so as to avoid the hassles of things dying on the wrong side of the fence. Take that for what it's worth but if you had to have a picture of a barnes shooter then it would likely be this guy lol. If he reads this he will laugh very hard...but he knows I described him to a tee haha.
A 6.5 creed shooting 140-147’s is not in the same category as a 257 wby
Old 12-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
A 6.5 creed shooting 140-147’s is not in the same category as a 257 wby
hey, just read the first post will ya, out to 700 yards yes, inside 400 lots of argument the bee is the dogs dangly bits, I was talking about that cull, it'd run neck and neck there, no PRC needed, and yes The Grendel wouldn't compete as too many kills beyond 400 lol but the Creedmoor would handle that 4-700 cull all day long, higher hits, deeper penetrations, the aggregate recovered distance likely equal if not better

lots of good .257 bee data to dissect there...I just can't help but compare that old school overbore tech to a 21st century efficient cartridge and bullet
Old 12-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
it was new to me, they shootin elk and moose with em and flattening them, sort of makes our discussions here a little moot, if you want some good holiday reading head to rokslide firearms forum and find the .223 for deer/bear etc. thread lol, it's a couple years deep and many many kills and necropsy discussed, not that we can apply that exact thing here but we can certainly apply a similar formula with legal diameter bullets, just good bedtime reading is all, over there I'm over-gunned...that was new lol

so there's definitely some formulas that work very well out there...it's a broad spectrum, some may be more consistent than others? as we keep discussing
Anyone that shoots an elk or a moose with a 223 is beyond stupid
Old 12-26-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
hey, just read the first post will ya, out to 700 yards yes, inside 400 lots of argument the bee is the dogs dangly bits, I was talking about that cull, it'd run neck and neck there, no PRC needed, and yes The Grendel wouldn't compete as too many kills beyond 400 lol but the Creedmoor would handle that 4-700 cull all day long, higher hits, deeper penetrations, the aggregate recovered distance likely equal if not better

lots of good .257 bee data to dissect there...I just can't help but compare that old school overbore tech to a 21st century efficient cartridge and bullet
From what I read it was a 140 grain 6.5 and an 80 grain 257?
Apples and oranges, but neither cartridge would be my choice for a 700 yard shot, and have used both past that on steel and paper targets.
Cat
Old 12-26-2021, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
From what I read it was a 140 grain 6.5 and an 80 grain 257?
Apples and oranges, but neither cartridge would be my choice for a 700 yard shot, and have used both past that on steel and paper targets.
Cat
Exactly
The data is twisted more than a trudeau budget
Old 12-26-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Moose and elk with a .223?
Those kills are what my father used to refer to as "parlour tricks", and personally I would NEVER recommend that, but apparently I know not of what I speak according to some....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Where is all the data, necropsy's etc, from all the ones they stuck their bullets into that wandered off to die because of bullet failure and bad hits. Funny how that data is never recorded and rarely mentioned.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:56 PM

I can't wait to see all the data about knocking moose and elk over with a .17 hmr shooting a 20 gr hollow point. As long as we are promoting using absolutely the least powerful cartridge imaginable in a hunting scenario.

So many things wrong with that way of thinking. I can't believe how the smart guys got sucked into this dumb conversation again. I give a flying squirrel that guys claim to be killing game with a .223. It is idiocy and shows no respect for the animal they are shooting. Full stop.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-26-2021, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Where is all the data, necropsy's etc, from all the ones they stuck their bullets into that wandered off to die because of bullet failure and bad hits. Funny how that data is never recorded and rarely mentioned.
Guys...I didn't say I agreed with it...I just said those crazy buggers are doing it and all these same arguments against came out and then a bunch of dead critter pics and necropsies come back etc. It's quite a read and great holiday break entertainment. Go see yourself, I'm not gonna defend it, my gear is way more than that lol
Old 12-26-2021, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I can't wait to see all the data about knocking moose and elk over with a .17 hmr shooting a 20 gr hollow point. As long as we are promoting using absolutely the least powerful cartridge imaginable in a hunting scenario.

So many things wrong with that way of thinking. I can't believe how the smart guys got sucked into this dumb conversation again. I give a flying squirrel that guys claim to be killing game with a .223. It is idiocy and shows no respect for the animal they are shooting. Full stop.
270p must be midway through drafting up a doozie right about now lol.

Again, go read it yourselves, I'm not defending it, just offering an interesting read about a bunch of people who've killed a bunch of stuff with a .223 and 77gr tmk's because it's legal and apparently surprisingly effective. You may stop bugging me about my 6.5 Grandma after that.