Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Not really right? Both of my bucks were neck shots this year and neither so much as kicked when they hit the ground. Mule buck at 325 broadside, I overheld a bit too much but the ttsx snapped his vertebra then deflected down and left and lodged up against he left side scapula. I've never seen an animal hit the ground that fast and that hard in 40 years of hunting. Both front legs splayed out to the sides. Couldn't find the entry hole until he was fully skinned

Whitetail was facing me at 150. Midway up neck hit in the front, out the back, spine snapped. Ground fell out from under him. He was dead by the time I got the scope back on him. Not so much as a quiver. Zero meat destroyed on either and no blood in body cavity to slop around in.

I'll take a neck shot every time it's presented and feasible. Big target, minimal blood inside, and never a step after impact.
Ive seen neck shots where an animal moves just at the break of the trigger
Not pretty
Old 12-22-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I thought you were banned again?

The good ones always come back.

Stinky's sure not the first where that question was asked. He came back for Grendel vs 17hmr wars part deux. He knows I'd kick his ass too.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Not pretty

I shoot a fast rifle. Har.

Agreed on the headshots being a tad dramatic tho. Bonus being they don't usually go far. I don't shoot female anything anymore and haven't for many years, (old guy), but I remember a couple. Growing up in Saskatchewan meant you shot a lot of deer running full out and sometimes pass shooting will take you there.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Stinky's sure not the first where that question was asked. He came back for Grendel vs 17hmr wars part deux. He knows I'd kick his ass too.
Hahahha
Old 12-22-2021, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I shoot a fast rifle. Har.

Agreed on the headshots being a tad dramatic tho. Bonus being they don't usually go far. I don't shoot female anything anymore and haven't for many years, (old guy), but I remember a couple. Growing up in Saskatchewan meant you shot a lot of deer running full out and sometimes pass shooting will take you there.
Ok maybe they aren’t 100% irresponsible
But the add more risk to the equation then what is need
🤷*♂️
Old 12-22-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Poor Stinky ,the guy sure made me laugh a few times I must admit, heck of a bugger for punishment , giving up was not on his menu.Even on part deux, he was determine to tell his story.

Dam he would rather die then ever let up on that Grendel , an not for a ttsx a match bullet to boot .

JD
Old 12-22-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Not pretty

This thread is about the .257 wtby mag.
No animal can move fast enough to escape it.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Poor Stinky ,the guy sure made me laugh a few times I must admit, heck of a bugger for punishment , giving up was not on his menu.Even on part deux, he was determine to tell his story.

Dam he would rather die then ever let up on that Grendel , an not for a ttsx a match bullet to boot .

JD

Got to respect a man that sticks to his plan. I hope he sticks around.

Only because he's Teflon. I can tell him 25 times my hmr's carry more energy at 200 yds than his popguns but he deflects it and carries on.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
They are exceptionally fast
Would be nice to see a ablr in 257
Or a heavier original accubond
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Keanu Reeves could.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Keanu Reeves could.
John wick Keanu reeves
Or neo Keanu reeves?
Old 12-22-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Got to respect a man that sticks to his plan. I hope he sticks around.

Only because he's Teflon. I can tell him 25 times my hmr's carry more energy at 200 yds than his popguns but he deflects it and carries on.
I didn't know he was back, should have read the whole thread.MY BAD.

Merry Xmas STINKY

JD
Old 12-22-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Ok maybe they aren’t 100% irresponsible
But the add more risk to the equation then what is need
🤷*♂️

My guys wish I'd shot them in the arse. In all honesty I probably had both eyes closed and lucked out.

We passed on a couple of really good muleys at 450ish, staring at us face on for 10 mins the evening before. Last 15 mins of legal light opening day and decided to back out and come back early. They hadn't been shot at yet due to where we were and were in no hurry to leave. Just curious. Ended up settling for smaller and I'll never do that again. Not much to lose with a good rest aiming at middle of the neck knowing anything lower is still solid.

I learned a lot about shooting and my own capabilities this fall. Never too late I guess. Gained a lot of confidence thanks to a fair bit of range time with a couple of rifles and loads they liked. Wouldn't hesitate to take shots now well beyond what I used to consider my max and it was all about practice. Then when you see one pile up at 600 you realize knowing the rifle and having good optics and a good rest makes a lot of things possible. I've hunted for a lot of years and had put limits on what I thought I could do. Things have opened up a bit now.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
John wick Keanu reeves
Or neo Keanu reeves?

Neo for sure. Dude had moves. Dodge .204 moves.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Time of flight is everything and no cartridge can move faster than a deer can if it decides to move at a distance of 1 second time of flight
Cat
Old 12-23-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is that neck shots have a higher margin for error that comes when you miss the cns. Where do you get more meat from? The ribs or the neck?

Head shots are effective, obviously. But i find them to be a little disrespectful to the animal. Which is just a personal opinion
It's my opinion that dispatching an animal in the most effective way is respecting that animal. Everyone who has hunted long enough has had an animal they shot that didn't go bang flop on the spot. And I know anytime I've ever had this happen where I'm tracking over a longer distance or where I've not recovered the animal - it feels terrible and, there is regret and we wish we had a "do over" to either take more time and care or not take the shot. As hunters it's our responsibility.

And, I am not as accomplished a shooter as you are, but given the range, the time, the situation and my level of proficiency in this specific case - that was the best shot to take. I think it was not disrespecting the game.

If I was in the Mafia, and the guy I was hitting had a family and would have liked to have an open casket funeral, then yeah, shooting him in the face would be disrespectful .....
Old 12-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

JD
Haha, I was in cabelas the other day and checked for Grendel ammo to see if that's where you got your shiver lmao but didn't see it.

Merry Christmas to you too Sir, and everyone else here, there's plenty of smart mouths on here for tons of laughs, you've had me go plenty as well and quite a few others.

270 it was a shame to lose that .17 hmr post of yours, a classic, 'mid munch' and 'the great mound in the sky' and 'chewin on his buddy'....good stuff! I'm sure we can find a way to re-hash it one day.

As for Keanu, I'm thinking John Wick and these running deer are done for, Neo however wouldn't need a gun, he would just think them into the freezer and it would be so.

SC (the teflon don)

and to stay somewhat on topic, if I went for the overbore speedster to ditch the rangefinder cartridge one day, the .257 bee would be the one, seems like a pretty safe 375 yard mpbr and 400 still on fur, as it is you'll find me at the complete opposite end of this spectrum with the 6.5 Grandma, having fun with it and it's doing better than 30 grains of powder and single digit ft/lbs recoil energy should, just gotta use a rangefinder about as often as you would for a 308 is all
Old 12-23-2021, 12:50 PM

The 257 is so fast, I've already shot next year's deer.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
That's fast ,Stinky you read this well. haha

JD
Old 12-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Haha. CO on his way to your house as we speak.

Conversely, there's guys shooting rifles so slow they're waiting for last year's results?
Old 12-23-2021, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Haha. CO on his way to your house as we speak.

Conversely, there's guys shooting rifles so slow they're waiting for last year's results?
funny, mine at least went into the freezer same weekend, having said that I'm pretty quick with the knife haha
Old 12-23-2021, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
funny, mine at least went into the freezer same weekend, having said that I'm pretty quick with the knife haha
Jeezuz, this guy is just like herpes.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Jeezuz, this guy is just like herpes.

A member since 2007 with 2000+ posts and you haven't figured out the ignore function yet?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
A member since 2007 with 2000+ posts and you haven't figured out the ignore function yet?
Listening to him is part of the fun lol
Old 12-23-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
odd 6?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Listening to him is part of the fun lol
To read the determination to prove he is right is priceless, the guy has got stamina for being stubborn . At first i took him the wrong way but after a while I had to admire the guys way of getting his message across, plus he does love to hunt and that matters a lot to.

He really is lots of fun. You couldn't pay me enough to debate a cartridge of any type the way he does for that amount of time .

Cheers
JD
Old 12-24-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
To read the determination to prove he is right is priceless, the guy has got stamina for being stubborn . At first i took him the wrong way but after a while I had to admire the guys way of getting his message across, plus he does love to hunt and that matters a lot to.

He really is lots of fun. You couldn't pay me enough to debate a cartridge of any type the way he does for that amount of time .

Cheers
JD
YUP - me too - I'm glad he's back .......... reminds you of how fun it was to get herpes in the first place ....

just kidding Stinky - we missed your Monkey Shines
Old 12-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers
JD
Trying to teach old dogs new tricks is a dying art lol.

Much humour required when having this sort of fun, and just for accuracy...not 'proving I'm right' as that's a forgone conclusion, I only choose winning arguments hehe, its more showing a different viewpoint to what's in front of us anyway to see for ourselves.

Quite the references here on this last page, sounds like some projecting going on to me.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:26 AM

Buy the 257bee you’ll like it they are fast fast fast. They punch up more than people give those light bullets credit for. I smashed bull elk with a 100gr scirocco from my 25 shooting at 3535fps the bullet went right through both shoulders and wasn’t recovered to the dismay of the only barnes can do it club. I have tipped over an actual pile of whitetail and a handful of mule deer as well. I’m on barrel 2 now and am excited to give the 133gr bergers bullets a try in the new year. Low recoil and fast in general what’s not to like.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Buy the 257bee you’ll like it they are fast fast fast. They punch up more than people give those light bullets credit for. I smashed bull elk with a 100gr scirocco from my 25 shooting at 3535fps the bullet went right through both shoulders and wasn’t recovered to the dismay of the only barnes can do it club. I have tipped over an actual pile of whitetail and a handful of mule deer as well. I’m on barrel 2 now and am excited to give the 133gr bergers bullets a try in the new year. Low recoil and fast in general what’s not to like.
Serious question - how do you know your bullet went through both shoulders if you didn't recover the animal. You sure you didn't punch through and miss all the important stuff?

A shoulder shot usually means they don't go to far, both shoulders would be a near miracle wouldn't it?