Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 02:08 PM

Default Lin Speed Gun Stock Finish

Does anyone know of a Canadian distributor for Lin Speed? Brownells will not ship it to Canada and I can't find anyone that sells it on this side of the border. I was going to try and contact Lin Speed directly and see if they have any Canadian distributors but their website has zero contact information. I did find it on Etsy but for an $18 bottle the shipping was $29.

With this being said does anyone have any other gun stock finishes that they prefer? I've used Tru Oil over the years as well as the Dem Bart Continental finish. The Dem Bart was great but it has been discontinued. Lin Speed looks to be similar to the Dem Bart so I thought I'd give it a try... Any thoughts?

I'm located near Edmonton.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:38 PM

Sadly, I have not seen Lin-Speed anywhere for a very long time.
That stuff was the best there ever was for stock finishing!
Cat
Old 02-14-2022, 02:47 PM

Try Lee Valley they seem to get their hands on all sorts of products

worth a call

might be able to direct you
Old 02-14-2022, 02:49 PM

Boiled Lin seed oil is at Canadian tire. Is that the same stuff?
Old 02-14-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Boiled Lin seed oil is at Canadian tire. Is that the same stuff?
Nope, nowhere near the same!
Cat
Old 02-14-2022, 04:16 PM

I think Truoil is about as close as you can come now .
Old 02-14-2022, 04:52 PM

I really like tung oil, but there is nothing speedy about it, to get the finish I like it takes a lot of love.
Once a dat for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
And once a year for life.
If its a rifle that needs to be finished in a couple of days, or for someone else, I mix about 25% wipe on poly. With the tung oil and 3 coats and its done.
Brad
Old 02-14-2022, 05:02 PM

Default Hard wax oil

I am no expert. Have refinished 6 or 7 rifle stocks with Rubio monocoat over the past 3 years and love it. It's a hard wax oil for wood floors. We have it as the finish in our home on 2 floors and it has been great. We have dogs.
I don't like the look and feel of polyurethane/varnish so I wanted an oil finish.
Touch ups are a wipe with your finger dipped in the oil. It forms a cured finish after a couple weeks. Completely matte.
Windsor plywood sells it but its expensive. You need about 15ml for a rifle stock.
I am in Sh Park if you want to come see how it looks and feels in person.
You can apply paste wax on top of it if you want a sheen.

Vance
Old 02-15-2022, 08:42 AM

Linspeed is an excellent finish. Do not know where you can find it locally. As FPS said, Truoil is about as close as there is that is easily obtained. It too is a great finish, I use it on most gun stocks still.

Here is the contact info for Lin-speed, let us know what they have to say please.

GB Products LLC, P.O. Box 365, Westminster, MA 01473

http://www.lin-speed.com/
+1 978-751-5103
info@lin-speed.com
Old 02-15-2022, 03:10 PM

Default stock finish

I agree with Brad tong oil can take some time BUT it stands up to the weather..check with Lee Valley for the different types of tong oil..enjoy,,
Old 02-15-2022, 05:15 PM

I refinish quite a few stocks as a hobby and have become a big fan of this Ballistrol product. Available in bright and dark and pretty accessible in Canada.

https://www.ballistol-shop.de/balsin...arker%20shade.

A good quality boiled linseed oil is excellent as well. Not a fast process but good things take time.

Last edited by 270person; 02-15-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:37 AM

So a bit of an update...I spoke with Walt at Dem Bart and found out the Continental Checkering Oil that they have was not discontinued. The big problem is getting it across the border. KV Woodcarving in New Brunswick used to carry it...My next step is to talk with them and see if they can get it into Canada.

Still waiting to hear back from Lin-Speed. I will update as soon as I hear something.

Thanks to the AO members that have PM'd me info!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip View Post
Try Lee Valley they seem to get their hands on all sorts of products

worth a call

might be able to direct you
2x
Old 02-21-2022, 10:25 PM

Default Choices

Some years ago there was a very interesting thread on the CZ forum in Rimfire Central. A fellow was do amazing work the True oil mixed with Armour All. some interesting combinations that do work if you are into experimentation, the AA was speeding up the drying time.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Sadly, I have not seen Lin-Speed anywhere for a very long time.
That stuff was the best there ever was for stock finishing!
Cat
Agreed.

Ive been using double boiled linseed.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Minwax makes a product they are calling Tung Oil that is very similar to Tru-oil. It most certainly is not Tung Oil but does do a nice job if you like hardeners in the oil.

Watsons Danish Oil is an interesting product. It takes some time but does have a hint of hardener IMO. I have used it on a couple of projects with good results.

I was experimenting at that time because Birchwood Casey was having issues with customs labeling or something.

Because Tru-oil is Linseed Oil based, cut boiled Linseed followed by straight boiled Linseed and then a mix of Linseed and Tru-oil for the top coats does a really nice job. I have never tried Linspeed but I would bet a mix of Linseed and Tru-oil would be similar with a little experimenting.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:17 AM

I'm a big fan of Min Wax products. I use their Antique Oil. A couple of coats wet sanded into the stock with 400 sandpaper and then several more coats wet sanded with 600 and then 800 grit will leave a beautiful oil finish that hardens when completely soaked in and dry. I like to finish with paste wax.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:28 AM

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2380...d-gunstock-oil

pricey shipping but it says they ship to canada
Old 02-22-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscoot View Post
Does anyone know of a Canadian distributor for Lin Speed? Brownells will not ship it to Canada and I can't find anyone that sells it on this side of the border. I was going to try and contact Lin Speed directly and see if they have any Canadian distributors but their website has zero contact information. I did find it on Etsy but for an $18 bottle the shipping was $29.

With this being said does anyone have any other gun stock finishes that they prefer? I've used Tru Oil over the years as well as the Dem Bart Continental finish. The Dem Bart was great but it has been discontinued. Lin Speed looks to be similar to the Dem Bart so I thought I'd give it a try... Any thoughts?

I'm located near Edmonton.
Did you ever hear back from LinSpeed re local dealers or shipping to Canada?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Just finishing off a custom walnut stock this week using Birchwood true oil
Its made with lin seed oil with a few additives . Its made for riffle stocks.
I am on my 5th coat now and using steel wool between coats. Stuff goes on with one finger. Just 3- 4 tinny drops will do one coat . Any more you will get runs . Gives a very high gloss . The thinner you can put it on the better.
A tack cloth is your friend between every coat and its a must !

Now that its on , I kind of miss the oil look it used to have which i think Lin- speed oil is made for.

Last edited by -JR-; 02-22-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I am on my 5th coat now and using steel wool between coats. Stuff goes on with one finger. Just 3- 4 tinny drops will do one coat . Any more you will get runs . Gives a very high gloss . The thinner you can put it on the better.

Now that its on , I kind of miss the oil look it used to have which i think Lin- speed oil is made for.
Just knock the final coat down with 4/0 steel wool and it will havve a satin finish.
Cat
Old 02-22-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscoot View Post
So a bit of an update...I spoke with Walt at Dem Bart and found out the Continental Checkering Oil that they have was not discontinued. The big problem is getting it across the border. KV Woodcarving in New Brunswick used to carry it...My next step is to talk with them and see if they can get it into Canada.

Still waiting to hear back from Lin-Speed. I will update as soon as I hear something.

Thanks to the AO members that have PM'd me info!
A lot of this not coming across the border is just a labelling issue, has to meet Canadian standards and have French.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-22-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Yep. I find stocks done with Tru Oil to be really tacky looking. A properly prepped, real oil, hand rubbed, 7- 8 coats finish cant be beat imo. Some French Red stain added to the oil and you've got a 20's to 50's look.

Last edited by 270person; 02-22-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2380...d-gunstock-oil

pricey shipping but it says they ship to canada
I just purchased some off that link you provided. Thanks .Rec'd it in about 10 days .No problems shipping with USPS. Got it from some Guitar finishing outlet.

I had a gun all prepped and was going to use Tru Oil. Used the Linspeed and got a much better color.- a bit more red than I would with obtained with Tru Oil.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Nothing like an oil look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F78425F9-5968-470B-A021-BE4E28AF433C.jpg (36.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 60EC624B-D1A4-4508-AF29-C0D873AC4189.jpg (36.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 65E2E8F3-A71A-4F0B-AAAF-5E5C24259BED.jpg (36.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by -JR-; 03-05-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Nothing like an oil look

I agree.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:04 PM

Linspeed.com info claims that the 2 US fluid oz (59 ml) quantity will be sufficient to do 6 rifle stocks. I think that would depend on the type of wood. Seems like a optimistic bit of info. Curious to know what quantity was used to do one rifle stock. Maybe Salavee can answer as he posted that he recently used it to do a rifle stock.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:25 PM

I dilute about 50/50 with pure Lemon oil in the first few applications of Linspeed or Tru Oil. I apply a new coat about every 30- 40 minutes and let the last coat cure overnight. The final finishing coats I let dry overnight between applications with a very light skimming of 0000 steel wool in between coats.
Only for the final two or three coats do I use it straight from the bottle. So far I have completed two Walnut stocks on about 1/8 of a small ( 4 oz ??) bottle of LinSpeed.

I prefer LinSpeed over Tru Oil only because I prefer the final color produced by LinSpeed ( slightly more red ). Otherwise I find they are pretty close.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=Salavee;4498098]I dilute about 50/50 with pure Lemon oil in the first few applications of Linspeed or Tru Oil. I apply a new coat about every 30- 40 minutes and let the last coat cure overnight. The final finishing coats I let dry overnight between applications with a very light skimming of 0000 steel wool in between coats.
Only for the final two or three coats do I use it straight from the bottle. So far I have completed two Walnut stocks on about 1/8 of a small ( 4 oz ??) bottle of LinSpeed.

I prefer LinSpeed over Tru Oil only because I prefer the final color produced by LinSpeed ( slightly more red ). Otherwise I find they are pretty close.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. Good info, much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:43 AM

Well I went the same route as Salavee and purchased it off of Etsy from BYO Guitar. I got 2x 2oz bottles. Shipping was $29 but I couldn't find any other options for getting it...