Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2022, 07:46 PM

Default Witt Machine

hey all I watched some reviews on these and they look pretty well made. I was going to order one it says they ship to Canada but just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience with them or even if they are legal in Canada.

its the Witt Machine. SME Sound Mitigation Equipment Slimline.

https://www.wittmachine.net/sme-soun...-slimline.html
Old 03-14-2022, 10:35 PM

Interesting!
Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 PM

Aren't suppressors illegal here in Canada?
Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 PM
Banned

I would love to own one
But I think they would be illegal
Old 03-14-2022, 11:07 PM

Default Sound Mitigation Equipment

Sound Mitigation Equipment is another term for "suppressor" which are prohibited. As per Section 84(1) if you don't hold a license authorizing its possession, it's prohibited.

Section 84(1) of the Criminal Code prescribes any device or contrivance designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm to be a prohibited device. The import or export of a prohibited device by anyone not authorized to do so, or the transfer of a prohibited device to, or its possession by, any person who does not hold a license authorizing its possession, are offences under the Criminal Code.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:02 AM

It is interesting. If I am reading the description right it really does nothing to dampen the sound. It would seem to simply be a muzzle break placed inside a can. That can then refocuses the the sound waves and gasses downrange rather than out the sides so it is more comfortable to shoot beside.

I theory I can't imagine how it would be any quiter than a unbraked rifle; the gasses are in no way being slowed as there is no baffles or cap, just redirected. As well you still have the sonic crack from the projectile itself. That being said, Canada is a weird place and the name might be enough. Witt is a decent size company, I would contact them directly if interested and they should be honest.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Aren't suppressors illegal here in Canada?
It’s definitely not a suppressor. I’ve owned them in the past and lots of them in the uk. A wildcat, ase ultra, sak they are suppressors. They have a closed end and lots of baffles inside. It would be nice to ask someone official in Canada who would you direct such a question to?
Old 03-15-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
It is interesting. If I am reading the description right it really does nothing to dampen the sound. It would seem to simply be a muzzle break placed inside a can. That can then refocuses the the sound waves and gasses downrange rather than out the sides so it is more comfortable to shoot beside.
But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a brake? The energy that you are trying to direct backwards to reduce recoil is instead being redirected in the same direction it would have been going in the first place. I don't grok.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=Bo21;4499799]It’s definitely not a suppressor. I’ve owned them in the past and lots of them in the uk. A wildcat, ase ultra, sak they are suppressors. They have a closed end and lots of baffles inside. It would be nice to ask someone official in Canada who would you direct such a question to?[/QUOTE

I realize your trying to do the right thing but No one from RCMP / Government that's for sure

Last edited by Ackleyman; 03-15-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:18 PM

I have ordered a brake direct from Witt before. No problems getting it up here.

These, they are no different than ones available for the 10/22 that I have.

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...zle-brake.html

Should be no problem to order and use them.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a brake? The energy that you are trying to direct backwards to reduce recoil is instead being redirected in the same direction it would have been going in the first place. I don't grok.

ARG
I agree, and some of the reviews I read echo that. Apparently it's a really good break and people will add/remove the can depending on who is around. It will still help lessen the recoil with the can on but not as much. I have never used one so can't comment but that is what I read after my curiosity was peaked.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:23 AM

I think it boils down to the marketing, they call it a sound mitigation device so the "official company word" would be that it is designed for the sound therefor making it a suppressor (even if it only reduced the sound by one decibel) by the Canadian definition. Similar to the high capacity 10/22 mags being legal until Ruger made the BX-25 being designed for the 10/22 and the Charger pistol.

If its fun, firearms related or a good idea the Libertards have already banned it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-16-2022, 08:54 AM
Banned

I think you would be getting a lot of attention from any fish and wildlife officer or rcmp if you were ever checked. It would get confiscated, you’d get a ticket, a court date. And you would have to prove to a judge that it’s within the rules. And those rules are changing constantly
Old 03-16-2022, 09:16 AM

You guys are over thinking this.

If it was a true can, you would have to have a Stamp and serial number on it. As per the US rules to have a can. They can make their own, but need to apply for the certificate and serial numbers, and the numbers have to bee stamped on it, or they even get into supreme ......!

I would buy one, no problem, if I thought I needed one.

No different than all the "fake" look alike cans they sell here in Canada. Open end on the cover piece, not a "can", just a fancy brake.

"The Slimline shroud has a diameter of 1 1/4inch and weighs 7.9oz with the brake."

These similar are available in Canada. Same type of design on the brake, and with a shroud cover.
https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...-w-shroud.html

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...d-pitches.html
Old 03-16-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
You guys are over thinking this.

If it was a true can, you would have to have a Stamp and serial number on it. As per the US rules to have a can. They can make their own, but need to apply for the certificate and serial numbers, and the numbers have to bee stamped on it, or they even get into supreme ......!

I would buy one, no problem, if I thought I needed one.

No different than all the "fake" look alike cans they sell here in Canada. Open end on the cover piece, not a "can", just a fancy brake.

"The Slimline shroud has a diameter of 1 1/4inch and weighs 7.9oz with the brake."

These similar are available in Canada. Same type of design on the brake, and with a shroud cover.
https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...-w-shroud.html

https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...d-pitches.html
Totally agree, in fact one lloook and you can tell it is not a supresssor, but a brake.
The "sound mitigation" part in their write up alludes to shooters next to you when using this brake as opposed to other styles of brakes which are much louder.
I actually saw one of these at our range last week IIRC.
Cat