Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Lots of people have tons of powder, it's normal for high volume shooters to have that much on hand even before the shortages were looming. Others saw this coming and stocked up and they ain't parting with it at any price. Its the guys who only buy a pound or two of powder when they are close to running out that seem to be caught unaware and the scalpers are taking advantage of them and so are retailers now.
yep caught me.

had one pound of Varget, loaded up what I had and I havent shot the 308 in 6 months because of the powder shortage.

Now I have 10lbs on order.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:11 PM

you know folks; it’s not ‘taking advantage’ if you post a price and some one decides they want to pay it.
i could use some 73 gr bergers; so if someone wants to feel sorry for me and sell them to below today’s market value; here’s my money.
it’s ok to hold yourself to your self declared higher standard and be charitable selling less than market value; that’s great.
but if the next guy decides to capitalize on a market trend; there’s no need to look down your nose at him.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:39 PM

This is way you buy powder across the calibers you own or possibly own.
Primers when you can.
I'm good for 3 life times.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 03-11-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Good to know another business to avoid.

Yep. It's a weekly auction for gun buyers with no comprehension of what the same items sell for NEW. Very rare that a deal can be had.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:47 PM

I spoke to a guy today that bought a pound of Varget from the Extreme Range Outfitters auction a couple months ago. Said he paid $100 + shipping and was happy to get his hands on it at the time, since he couldn't find it anywhere else.
He has since found another retail source in Alberta that has a pretty good supply and charges regular retail prices.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2022, 06:20 AM

I wouldn’t call Extreme Range Outfitters auction shenanigan’s scumbag actions. But they’re not far off that. But to be polite, I’ll never buy anything from them. And I’ll turn people away if asked about them.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yep. It's a weekly auction for gun buyers with no comprehension of what the same items sell for NEW. Very rare that a deal can be had.
Lol it's a great place to sell stuff I'll say that. I bid non stop on stuff but I have a set price and stick to it. Only once have I won a new muzzleloader on there. Every thing goes for new prices or more it's crazy, same as on here sometimes. Like I said retumbo is easily 200 a pound on there. Varget is 100 to 150.

Last edited by kingrat; 03-12-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:58 AM

Apparently Cabelas is now limiting customers, as to how much ammunition they can buy, because they were told not to expect much in loaded ammunition for several months. That should cause even more demand, and even higher prices. And it could cause more people to start into reloading, causing even more demand for components.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:18 AM

I work for a Canadian Distributor of Shooting Sports products and we've been told that the current supply issues with powders, primers, boxed ammo, and SG shells won't be going away any time soon. This was told to us before the Ukraine situation.
I can't remember who told me this, but recently I heard that there are only a handful of primer makers in the world, so the war will give nato first dibs on primers for sure.

If people can't find powder, try Alberta Hardware in Ft Macleod. By far the biggest inventory in Southern Ab. Last time I was there they had more than Cabelas Calgary.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Lol it's a great place to sell stuff I'll say that. I bid non stop on stuff but I have a set price and stick to it. Only once have I won a new muzzleloader on there. Every thing goes for new prices or more it's crazy, same as on here sometimes. Like I said retumbo is easily 200 a pound on there. Varget is 100 to 150.

I've been watching their auction on and off for 3 years just in case a dose or two of reality sets in, but it's like bidders get focused on an item and nothing will stop them from owning it. It hasn't happened yet. Used Tikka T'3's, blued, that can be bought anywhere in the $750 - 850 range tax free that hit $1000.00. I guess none of them ever look at retail websites. Helloooo.

2lbs of 4350. $300? Brick of 400 American Eagle .22 rim fire. $70? Damn. I have to switch from cci 36gr mini mag bricks for $40.

I took a shot at a Turkish 18" tactical pump 12 ga recently. Wasp nest defence. Sells NEW, day in/day out for $479. Bid up to $360 then bailed. It sold for 480.00 + tax, + $40 shipping, + tax on shipping if you don't live near Saskatoon. So I just went out and bought a like new Benelli Supernova 19" tactical for $570.00. Hope the bid winner enjoys his fine Turkish made shotty he could have saved coin on buying new.

Lots of the same name's bidding up every auction too. Either insiders or local shops that want massively overpriced inventory on their shelves for the next 3 years.

Last edited by 270person; 03-12-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:20 AM

most of us have more supply than cabellas, where ever. lol

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
most of us have more supply than cabellas, where ever. lol
Yeah fair enough!
The first time I was in there it surprised me because it's a small shop in a small town.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:42 AM

If people can't find powder, try Alberta Hardware in Ft Macleod. By far the biggest inventory in Southern Ab. Last time I was there they had more than Cabelas Calgary.[/QUOTE]

Not any more…
Old 03-14-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
If people can't find powder, try Alberta Hardware in Ft Macleod. By far the biggest inventory in Southern Ab. Last time I was there they had more than Cabelas Calgary.
Not any more…[/QUOTE]

Hmm, try Fly's Etc in High River.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:22 PM

Told my wife the other day I could retire if I sold my reloading, firearms and scotch collection at today's prices, I'd probably average a 400-500% profit margin!
Old 03-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Told my wife the other day I could retire if I sold my reloading, firearms and scotch collection at today's prices, I'd probably average a 400-500% profit margin!
If I had bought primers and powder instead of stocks, I would be farther ahead.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:42 AM

I just found a dealer with a good supply of powder, and he had actually had shotgun primers, before I bought them all. All powders are $60-$80 , so not cheap, but not ridiculous auction prices.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:24 PM
Shooting Xs

Lots of Fed. shotgun primers at Outdoorsman in Med. Hat, he accidently pushed an extra zero or two ordering last year, Bricks @ $69.99 if I remember correctly.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Lots of Fed. shotgun primers at Outdoorsman in Med. Hat, he accidently pushed an extra zero or two ordering last year, Bricks @ $69.99 if I remember correctly.
If he is selling at that price, he is not only one of the only stores with stock, but the cheapest as well. The stores with the best stock of all supplies, seem to be the ones that don't list powder and primers online, so people doing online searches don't find them.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:26 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If he is selling at that price, he is not only one of the only stores with stock, but the cheapest as well. The stores with the best stock of all supplies, seem to be the ones that don't list powder and primers online, so people doing online searches don't find them.
Was in there today, my posted info is correct. He also got a shipment of IMR 4350 and IMR 4895 today, only 10 lbs. of each but it is trickling in bit by bit.
Some CCI 400's and Fed. SP primers also.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Was in there today, my posted info is correct. He also got a shipment of IMR 4350 and IMR 4895 today, only 10 lbs. of each but it is trickling in bit by bit.
Some CCI 400's and Fed. SP primers also.
I picked up a case of 5000, today, paid more, but it was close and no shipping required, so net cost not all that different. The added case adds another year to my supply, so I am good to go.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:43 PM

The prices some people are willing to pay in private transactions blows my mind. As some posters have mentioned there are still retail outlets selling at lower prices than some of these private sellers.

For those that have stayed on top of who the good retailers are there’s been powder available at decent prices off and on for the last year or two. It’s going to be pretty slim for awhile now though I am guessing.